Rebuilding engine

40desoto

There are Cheap off shore sets on Ebay...

On 9/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, James_Douglas said:

Just so people know...

One thing I did on the big desoto engine was to pay my machine shop a couple of hundred dollars...they worked the rod big ends to that ARP 351 Cleveland rod bolts can be used. They are the "correct" size, the only issue is the lower cap has to be milled flat to get rid of the recess for those little split washers and there was some little work on the other end.

The only failure I have personally seen on a flathead was a core I purchased years ago and it was a failed rod bolt.

James

James, did you do this to 265 rods?  If so, would you mind posting a few pics of the upper and lower halves?  I'm really interested to know what was done, as I have some 265 rods to go into my engine, whenever I get to that point, and I've always been a little concerned about reusing bolts.  I've scoured every source I could find, but NOS ones are not to be found anywhere.  As you know, the 265 rod bolts are unique to that engine and very different from most other types of bolts.  I even approached ARP with the idea of making some rod bolts, but the cost was going to be prohibitive (thousands of dollars).  If you were able to successfully modify your rods to use another type of rod bolt, I sure would like to see what was done.  I thought about doing that too, but it seems to me that there is not a lot of excess meat on the upper half to make it fit a standard rod bolt with the common type of head.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi chief, great topic.   Probably ought to mention if you want a stock or mild hot rod rebuild.   If stock, you likely can regrind valve seats, new or reground valves, new pistons and rings next size bigger, new guides or maybe guide inserts, check head and block for straightness, original factory balancing sb good already so just new bearings and gaskets.  You can probably reuse the lifters or have them reground and I would guess the cam is ok.   If your oil pressure was good just reuse the oil pump and use new water pump.   This is the cheap way to go and I believe the motor will last forever.  Normally the heaviest wear is the bearings, guides, valve seats and the cylinders.   On this basis, this is my suggestion. 

If you want performance , find freewheeling tony on Facebook and check w him.  I say check w Tony and or earl "edgy" edgerton add new performance cam and lifters, surface grind the block and head and consider the need for more balancing....Do all this after you determine whether you want multiple carbs!

Hey chief, my name is Mike and I am a plymouth guy in your neck of woods.  I have three other guys local that are plymouth guys too.  If you want to discuss just message me.   

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, 1951plymouth said:

Hi chief, great topic.   Probably ought to mention if you want a stock or mild hot rod rebuild.   If stock, you likely can regrind valve seats, new or reground valves, new pistons and rings next size bigger, new guides or maybe guide inserts, check head and block for straightness, original factory balancing sb good already so just new bearings and gaskets.  You can probably reuse the lifters or have them reground and I would guess the cam is ok.   If your oil pressure was good just reuse the oil pump and use new water pump.   This is the cheap way to go and I believe the motor will last forever.  Normally the heaviest wear is the bearings, guides, valve seats and the cylinders.   On this basis, this is my suggestion. 

If you want performance , find freewheeling tony on Facebook and check w him.  I say check w Tony and or earl "edgy" edgerton add new performance cam and lifters, surface grind the block and head and consider the need for more balancing....Do all this after you determine whether you want multiple carbs!

Hey chief, my name is Mike and I am a plymouth guy in your neck of woods.  I have three other guys local that are plymouth guys too.  If you want to discuss just message me.   

Hello Mike, I just saw your post.  I will message you in a bit.  Thanks for the advice

So.... I ordered the  ARP stud kit listed for a Chrysler L6 engine   (ARP 142-4001).  Didn't notice until the the package arrived and I opened the box that it only included 15 studs but the head on my 265 requires 21.   Not sure if anyone sells individual studs.