Detail question on the wheel cylinder rubber sealings

Uncle-Pekka

It's been years I opened the brake drum, thus I cannot recall the dimensions in detail.

The question is; Are the front wheel upper and lower cylinder diameters the same? (thus the rubber sealings would be the same size)

See the below "RockAuto" catalog; E.g. WK112 kit would fit "front upper" and rear wheel cylinder, but not "front lower"...?

I see front lower has some extra metal pins, but those have much longer life time than the rubber.

Thus the question is; If I simply keep 2-3 sets of Dorman 12222 or Raybestos WK112 in by garage drawer, am I equipped to service whichever wheel in my D24?

a58dbae9b3f41837c02f4313c20c9af9.jpg

Thanks,

Uncle-Pekka

It's been years I opened the brake drum, thus I cannot recall the dimensions in detail.

The question is; Are the front wheel upper and lower cylinder diameters the same? (thus the rubber sealings would be the same size)

See the below "RockAuto" catalog; E.g. WK112 kit would fit "front upper" and rear wheel cylinder, but not "front lower"...?

I see front lower has some extra metal pins, but those have much longer life time than the rubber.

Thus the question is; If I simply keep 2-3 sets of Dorman 12222 or Raybestos WK112 in by garage drawer, am I equipped to service whichever wheel in my D24?

a58dbae9b3f41837c02f4313c20c9af9.jpg

Thanks,

Uncle-Pekka

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

Thanks Tim,

Yes, mine is the common 4D sedan, thus 11" drums.

Now that I take a closer look, the Dorman 12222 says bore 1 1/8, all other say 12" drum, thus the first one would fit all my wheel cylinders.

Thanks again,

Pekka

Look again...the front lowers does not show a hole in the piston for centric location of the seal.....springs are different....upper and rear appear to be same kits...three kits combined for upper front and rear ...one kit for the front lower...at least that is how I read the crime scene

After searching the cabinets I found my parts book.

Looks like there's only one part number for the piston and piston seal, the cylinder end boot as well.

Thus the conclusion would be the rubber sealings must be the same for all rear, front upper & lower cylinders, see below page...

2158c5d76eb9dcb65e7e25f8d1e1c4b6.jpg

yes D24 per my book also..the Rock Auto page list lower as non center hole cup as does about every listing for the WK201 kit on e-bay....rule of thumb here....replace what you have with like kind.....

8 CUPS THE SAME

8 PISTONS THE SAME

4 FRONT SPRINGS

2 REAR SPRINGS

Edited by Plymouthy Adams