1948 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Dr sedan

Andydodge

Ulu...

There are times to walk lightly and hold back your negative opinion's about a posters newly acquired car's design.

It's his new baby...he's proud of it and should be.

The poster is showing it to everyone and happy to do so.

Be a nice guy...not a dic;#@

at times some opinion's need to be kept in one's mind.

• Like 1

it is and they are fewer of these compared to other nozzle mounts.....again with the Volvo but not to poke fun as before....I was amazed to see the same nozzles on that car that was on the 51 Plymouth Suburban when I got it....am sure the company made lots of washer kits for many cars back in the day...I believe these  may be Trico generics fit all nozzles as marketed by them to the public as an add-on

s-l1000.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes the tube is for the windshield washer. A friend's 1947 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door sedan has two windshield washer nozzles, each centered with each windshield in line with the wiper bases. I guess this is one example of minor changes made to the 1946-1948 models which are wise indistinguishable.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ulu said:

Is this the windshield washer tube?

I’ve never seen this before.

F32D033D-EECD-473E-AEDB-50FB3C87257D.jpeg.4e42eb8bec935c6a883f303c06703f3d.jpeg

Yes, that's part of the Jiffy Jet set-up.
I have one, with all the fittings, but I'm reluctant to drill the (rare) windshield division bar on my convertible!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Ulu...

There are times to walk lightly and hold back your negative opinion's about a posters newly acquired car's design.

It's his new baby...he's proud of it and should be.

The poster is showing it to everyone and happy to do so.

Be a nice guy...not a dic;#@

at times some opinion's need to be kept in one's mind.

Thank you. 

I hope nobody takes this all personally. 

I thought the basic car was so well styled that if I had the resources I could be tempted to build a customized one for myself. That seems extremely unlikely to me, so I spent an idle hour painting one vision of it for you.

As a styling exercise it was meant to be more amusing than realistic, but I’m not amusing you here.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Robin (UK) said:

Yes, that's part of the Jiffy Jet set-up.
I have one, with all the fittings, but I'm reluctant to drill the (rare) windshield division bar on my convertible!

Was that something from JC Whitney or was it a Chrysler Corp dealer option?

Where does the reservoir go?

Thanks for all positive comments. I plan to post pictures of progress on the restoration, especially the final. I have spent the last day trying to figure how to disassemble the floppy handles to have them re-chromed. Talk about engineering and design, they are something. Very complex. Thanks to c49er at Antique Automobile Club of America for very detailed instructions on How To. Hopefully, with patience, I can get it done.

Today I am going to pick up clear coat for the paint I got for the body of the car. I needed to go ahead and get paint so the mechanic can paint the firewall while the engine is out. I spent weeks and untold hours trying to get the original paint color. I could not get paint with original color codes and bought a color chart on eBay and took the chip for "Heather Green" to Lowes to get a quart of paint to make a large color sample for duplication, as paint stores could not do color match on a small sample. I went to 4 different paint stores and made numerous calls. Some could not even do color matches for it. After researching auto paints and the store capabilities I chose Dupont near me and went back to get their best paint ("Chromax"). Low and behold the manager just brought up the paint, code, etc in the computer and did not need to do any color matching. The paint he mixed using the original code matched the color sample I had created. Hurrah!  More latter on progress.

• Like 1

The "Jiffy" glass gar/system is mounted on the firewall. Same on the '48. There is a round foot pump pedal on the floor bard to spray the fluid. I bought one new or like new with the new color label on eBay recently to replace the one in my car. It is seen in the Chrysler accessories brochure for these cars. 

you can still find these on e-bay...just don't be sucked in by the one ads that tries to make this as a corvette only application and way way high retail.....the chrome on the two sets have taken a hit with exposure to the elsements….my units have the threaded angled backing plates and the wing nuts as shown in the photo above....that was just a quick pic I located on the internet to show the alternate style for the era....

try this link as opposed to the 60.00 other ads are listed at.....e-bay is your search buddy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-1962-Corvette-Windshield-Washer-Nozzle-Pair-NEW-58-59-60-61-62/252710108724?hash=item3ad6b23e34:g:clUAAOSwuQhb~EMu

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Another style of nozzle ...no drilling required..

20200414_114823_compress30.jpg

20200414_114850_compress74.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clydeelder said:

Thanks for all positive comments. I plan to post pictures of progress on the restoration, especially the final. I have spent the last day trying to figure how to disassemble the floppy handles to have them re-chromed. Talk about engineering and design, they are something. Very complex. Thanks to c49er at Antique Automobile Club of America for very detailed instructions on How To. Hopefully, with patience, I can get it done.

Today I am going to pick up clear coat for the paint I got for the body of the car. I needed to go ahead and get paint so the mechanic can paint the firewall while the engine is out. I spent weeks and untold hours trying to get the original paint color. I could not get paint with original color codes and bought a color chart on eBay and took the chip for "Heather Green" to Lowes to get a quart of paint to make a large color sample for duplication, as paint stores could not do color match on a small sample. I went to 4 different paint stores and made numerous calls. Some could not even do color matches for it. After researching auto paints and the store capabilities I chose Dupont near me and went back to get their best paint ("Chromax"). Low and behold the manager just brought up the paint, code, etc in the computer and did not need to do any color matching. The paint he mixed using the original code matched the color sample I had created. Hurrah!  More latter on progress.

The wonderful little bit of art deco and complicated style of the Chrysler Lavalier  AKA "floppy/flipper" window winder handles.

1st pic.....1946 to 48 upper line Chrysler

2nd pic....1949 to 53 upper line Chrysler

1946 to 48 handles are near impossible to find real nice ones...1949 up common.

20200414_114220_compress74.jpg

20200414_112509_compress90.jpg

3 hours ago, clydeelder said:

The "Jiffy" glass gar/system is mounted on the firewall. Same on the '48. There is a round foot pump pedal on the floor bard to spray the fluid. I bought one new or like new with the new color label on eBay recently to replace the one in my car. It is seen in the Chrysler accessories brochure for these cars. 

That's what I had seen: the glass jar in the engine compartment, and I didn't understand drilling thru the dash, and then the division too!

It seemed too difficult compared to just drilling the cowl.

It takes a bit of work to install the Jiffy-Jet.  The dash had a wood-grained plug that popped out, but the windshield divider, and its interior and exterior trim, needed drilling.   Probably no

challenge for a dealer or other auto garage.  

1596345827_JiffyJet(93).JPG.431cd9384e56e6951e48e576d99563ad.JPG  

OK, it appears my Plymouth didn't ever have the plug. Or maybe it's welded up?

DSCF7201.JPG.4eb9ebb5d29b3726165ff68574b26f3c.JPG

It looks like bear to drill there with the glass in. I suppose you could drill from below.

EDIT, Nope. Not welded. Mine is on a shelf in the garage, and it's never had a hole.

Edited by Ulu

7 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

20200414_114220_compress74.jpg

The tartan upholstery is awesome. I wonder if it's common, corporate, or known from a particular clan?

They allow corporate registry of tartans. Chrysler may have actually used a custom one, registered to them.

There is one known from my clan, but it is not nearly so attractive.

tartan.gif.6b8300f58cc516d171b914387440d41c.gif

Mcpherson Military Tartan is what someone told me. 100% wool...heavy military weight.

I am still in awe of the 46-48 two dr Chryslers........after having sold the 4dr sedan I had after 2 yrs back in the late 70's I had never seen another 46-48 Chrysler until last year when I discovered a 48 4dr New Yorker complete with the straight eight and very much being used at a couple of local shows here, it was a Sth African RHD car  ..........it didn't have the highlander upholstery like my one, which was a Windsor but it had full leather albeit quite old if not original........

.........I understand Ulu comments about the radio grille in these cars, it does seem a little unusual compared to the styling of the rest of the dash but I'd be happy to live with a view of the beautiful dash again...........lol...........

.........so Clydeelder post as many pics of your wonderful car as you like, I will be more than thankful.......regards from Oz.....Andy Douglas  

Chrysler was very proud of using new plastics in their dashes and steering wheels from 1941 to 1948.

They even made souvenir bowls touting the different dash plastics.

The bowls came in different dash plastic colors.

Screenshot_20200414-233958_Chrome_compress97.jpg

hi

as regards the promo bowls ,the greyish mottled colour is really common ,i got mine for$30 about ten years ago and they are still about the same .In all that time or longer, I have only ever seen one blue and one red for sale .The red one above sold for about $200 ,very rare.The Ivory/confetti mottled colour which I have on my 41 ,I have never seen, they were sold as candy dishes! i keep change the jukebox in mine.

Edited by normanpitkin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Mcpherson Military Tartan is what someone told me. 100% wool...heavy military weight.

This was the closest one found in the online searchable records.

There's a bit more green...

macpherson.jpg.252cdc4cd3ab64ef15beb2db8623fa63.jpg

I do not believe any of the 2-door Chrysler New Yorker Luxury Broughams had the plaid interior. That was in the "Town and Country" editions. They did have the floppy/lavelier handles with the plastic insert. They also had "New Yorker" in the dash, etc. I only mentioned the floppy handle in this thread as part of my narrative regarding it"s restoration.