1948 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Dr sedan

Andydodge

34 minutes ago, clydeelder said:

Hi ya'all.

I bought the 2-door 1948 Chrysler New Yorker Luxury Brougham in Hiram Ohio in 2017.  Now been at the mechanic 6 months an no telling how much longer. I am really not a car enthusiast.

Congrats, thanks for the update.  Welcome to the forum. Wow,  what a fist post, and the statement above. You have great intentions, seeing this project through. This car is a good one to preserve considering how rare it is. We'd love to see some pics if possible. If you get a chance, next time you check in on your car, snap whatever photos you can. Even if it's tore down. Many of us here would enjoy seeing any pics.

Hey you guys! Find me a nice one I can remodel!

Phantom 1948 Imperial 5th Avenue Gentleman's Sporting Coupe.  Straight eight with forward crank driven supercharger.

bizzcoupe.jpg.211b4ad6aa114f4f59492682e5b4a0dc.jpg

5th Ave is 1942 DeSoto only!

A friend of mine had a red 1942 DeSoto 5th ave convert....a extremely rare car, also a blue  5th ave 42 business cpe...skirts and steering wheel cigarette lighter..

Be a shame to butcher a rare NewYorker Brougham 2 door as rare as they are.

You wouldn't be able to post some pics of the car would you?.............pretty please.........lol...........andyd.

Maybe someone can help with a question or two. What is the best way to remove the AAA sticker from the glovebox door? The door is plastic wrapped and fragile. This is the only one I have seen and have bought 3 others that are cracked. Or, should I just leave it on. I want to show the car and fear the sticker would lower judging points. I also have been trying to figure out how to dismantle the floppy handles so I can have them rechromed. Anyone know how? Any other pictures you would like?

16 minutes ago, clydeelder said:

Maybe someone can help with a question or two. What is the best way to remove the AAA sticker from the glovebox door? The door is plastic wrapped and fragile. This is the only one I have seen and have bought 3 others that are cracked. Or, should I just leave it on. I want to show the car and fear the sticker would lower judging points. I also have been trying to figure out how to dismantle the floppy handles so I can have them rechromed. Anyone know how? Any other pictures you would like?

Have you tried warming up the decal with a hair dryer? Sometimes that softens them up enough to peal them off without damaging the underlying surface. Also, I find that WD40 is an excellent adhesive remover. You could try spraying some around the edges and let it soak into the decal adhesive. That may help peal it off. I don't believe WD40 would damage the glove box door, but maybe a test on a hidden surface may be required first.

WD-40 washed off my pinstripes. It melts some paints and plastics, including OneShot!

I would probably remove the door, and secure it on a bench, horizontally, then use a heat gun on low.

Or a hair dryer, but those things are not as controllable.

Heat rises, so heating the sticker from above would help prevent overheating the door.

You might not need much heat, but just for the surface below to get maybe 110 F and it should begin loosen.

Adhesive removers tend to spread the goo around at first. It's tricky not to do that. I would avoid them entirely around 75 year old plastic and paint.

gentle friction from the human thumb is probably safest to remove the inevitable residue and dust.

When I see this, I wonder if the stylists at Chrysler hated each other.

panel.jpg.eb374ff041310787a7625a805556a02a.jpg

All the swoopy metal meets the square door panel garnish and stitching like parts from two different eras.

Also the speaker grille is an abomination compared to most other Mopars.

I like the rest of the styling so well, that the little things like that feel unconsidered.

The dashes are a work of art IMO...

I own a couple 1946-48 eight cylinder Chrysler's.

As for the glove box door...be extremely careful ..

The middle face of the glove box door plastic is thin and delicate.

Finding another one crack free ....doubt it.

I agree with maybe trying WD40..But 1st try using a hot wet cloth to warm the sticker itself then try to pull the edge up..

If you get the sticker removed you might find slight discoloration of plastic where the sticker was. 

DO NOT use anything with Toluene, MEK or any Keytones. I would avoid methylated spirits too.

This ancient plastic has porosity you can't see, but it can suck up spirits and get spongy.

Acetone (I believe the major ingredient in Goof Off) evaporates very quickly and might be OK,

But it could dull the shine too. Try it on a cracked one first.

24 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

hopefully you will not find that the sticker is hiding a crack in the plastic and why it is applied in the first place....look real close for tell-tell signs...proceed slowly in any case...

Never thought of that!

It was common back in the day while mom was in the store shopping Billy was left in the car pushing the red hot cigarette lighter into the glove box door.

Have seen a few of those over the years.

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The dashes are a work of art IMO...

Yes, the dash on every Chrysler product from those years was generally amazing.

I like the styling of the entire car a lot, except those two things.

That radio grille, and the door panel.

Beautiful Radio and dash...

My T&C dash at Greenwood car Show.JPG

1946-48 Chrysler's had a grille nick named the "egg crate grille"

It was carried onto the radio grille too.

Oh.it makes the Chrysler radio sound so nice....absolutely wonderful cruising 65-70 on Highway 2.

Wonderful cars.

I'm not trying to be mean sir, but it doesn't look like the front grille enough. The proportion of bars to openings is so fat. It's just wrong.

The egg crate radio grille is just as clumsy to me, as the front grille is lovely.*

It's like they had to let the new guy design something, and the radio grille was the most harmless thing they could give him to do.

I was once that guy, when I first started out in design. They give you the most inconsequential projects.

NOW,  the form might owe more to function than style.

Maybe it was designed specifically to front-load a speaker that had no real enclosure and too little damping from the acoustic environment. It could make the speaker sound smoother.

If I had to give Chrysler stylists the benefit of the doubt here, it would be that.**

They sometimes put engineering a bit too far over style IMO.

*I feel just the opposite about my P15. I think the radio looks better than the front grille.

**I've created many sound systems and this is possibly just my own hammer/nail thinking.

10 hours ago, Ulu said:

They did a lovely job, but I'll never understand that wide lattice work.

Ulu, I have the answer to you dilemma....as you wanted to make a Plymouth look like a Volvo PV544 why not just take the PV544 grille and put it on the Chrylser so it will more closely match the radio grille.....just spit balling and....putting a lighter side twist to the thread....?

th?id=OIP.ZqzCP1mK-8UHiCBKcLsARAHaCk&pid=Api&P=0&w=478&h=166