1948 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Dr sedan

Andydodge

I know that this is not a Plymouth or Dodge but just thought I'd let people know that theres a 48 Chrysler New Yorker 2Dr sedan on US Ebay at present........I've never seen a pic of a 46-48 Chrysler 2 door sedan and the Standard Catalog Of Chrysler by John Lee lists 545 New Yorker 2dr Sedans for 1946/7/8 so they are certainly not a common car........is it my turn to win the lottery yet?..........lol..........regards from Oz 

We just talked about that car a couple weeks ago... was sold or pulled off ebay.

This new Ebay ad a flipper?

5 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

We just talked about that car a couple weeks ago... was sold or pulled off ebay.

This new Ebay ad a flipper?

It didn't look like it. Perhaps the sale fell through. I've had plenty of eBay sales fall through. I've never sold anything car related, however. 

Is it the same seller?

I don't know. I don't remember the prior conversation. I had posted a photo of 1950 Chrysler from where in I live in Lynchburg, VA. But it turned out to not be for sale. 

This one did NOT sell a few weeks back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Chrysler-New-Yorker-Convertible-/112456528791?hash=item1a2eee7397:g:R1QAAOSw~rpZUCBL&vxp=mtr

Edited by medium_jon

This was the post about this chrysler 2 door  a month  ago...sorry bout the double post...didn't work right:(

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Speaking of Windsors and New Yorkers, I have a question.

I have the green '53 Windsor Deluxe that I plaster pics of all over the place here. I am learning more about the era Mopar products every day. 

I saw a You Tube video where someone had a 1953 New Yorker. It looked exactly like my Windsor D. Inside and out. Same features and trim it seemed. Even the same colour. As far as I could tell the only difference was the NY had a V8 and my WD has the L6 265. 

The NY had the V8 emblem on the front and rear.

Am I accurate in assuming that certain models and years of NY-ers are the same as my WD? Only difference being the engine?

Thx. 

Keith, can't help re the 1953 differences but I have never seen a pic of a 1946-48 Chrysler 2door sedan at all, Windsor, New Yorker or whatever..........................I had seen them listed in that John Lee book but even that book has no pics of ANY of the 46-48 Chrysler 2door sedans...................apart from the engine difference at a guess I'd think that the New Yorker/Saratoga etc would have more standard features, better choice of options, upholstery & colours over the Windsor which being a Chrysler would have had a similar increase in options over the lesser Plymouth/Dodge and Desoto brands...........here in Oz we generally only could dream of the real Dodge, Desoto & Chryslers although I did own a 1948 Windsor 4dr about 40 yrs ago, one of maybe 2 dozen imported for government use......sold it like a dope...........lol...............finally found the only 2 pics I have of it....andyd   

img005 (6).jpg

Edited by Andydodge
add pics
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, medium_jon said:

Yep, that must be the same car as it was Cleveland's Craigslist. Good memory @Dodgeb4ya

@Flatie46 here is your chance again. 

I do like it but I'll have to let someone else enjoy that project. I'm pretty covered up right now.

6 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Keith, can't help re the 1953 differences but I have never seen a pic of a 1946-48 Chrysler 2door sedan at all, Windsor, New Yorker or whatever..........................I had seen them listed in that John Lee book but even that book has no pics of ANY of the 46-48 Chrysler 2door sedans...................apart from the engine difference at a guess I'd think that the New Yorker/Saratoga etc would have more standard features, better choice of options, upholstery & colours over the Windsor which being a Chrysler would have had a similar increase in options over the lesser Plymouth/Dodge and Desoto brands...........here in Oz we generally only could dream of the real Dodge, Desoto & Chryslers although I did own a 1948 Windsor 4dr about 40 yrs ago, one of maybe 2 dozen imported for government use......sold it like a dope...........lol...............finally found the only 2 pics I have of it....andyd   

img005 (6).jpg

pco6734.jpg

pco6751.jpg

NewYorkers are upper line eight cylinder cars.

That 2 door brougham is a really rare car to find.

I'd love to take a tape measure to the 2dr sedan and compare the door & centre pillar length & design with that on a Business Coupe and Club Coupe.....I'm surprised that considering the low production of the 2dr sedan that Chrysler didn't decide to use the angled pillar Coupe door as it seems they did for both Business & Club coupes, using this door on the 2door sedan would have resulted in a more streamlined appearance, something akin to that used by GM on their various Aerosedans..........

.......Frank, thanks for the 2 pics of the 2doors, like I mentioned I had not seen pics of these Chrysler versions of this body before, tho' looking at them now they seem to be the same as that used by mopar for both Dodge & Desoto judging by the rear side window & rear 1/4 window design.........does anyone know if this is the case?.................

Plymouthy, when I win the lottery it won't get ratted, lol.......nice shinney paint for me..........thanks & regards, andyd.  

Edited by Andydodge
added info

If you had this measurement on the 2 door sedan, I could compare it to the larger door as used on the Town Sedans of which I have a D24 and D19 here at the house.  The section behind the door to the wheel opening along with that of the actual TS glass and vent look remarkably alike.

I believe that the front doors for the 2-door sedan are identical with the front doors of the long wheelbase sedan. 

The tip-off, how the doors meet at the top.  On my Suburban, the front door has a curve, so the rear door has to meet it.  On the suicide door sedan, the tops of the doors are in line.  Also for the 2-door sedan and the long-wheelbase sedan, the front door is 9 inches wider, for access to the back or middle seat. 

59811b7f5e7e7_doorsmeet.JPG.57205d85af371114439b6571fbe1907f.JPG

Coupe doors are wide, maybe the same width, but the glass frame slopes forward.  I don't know if the town sedan gets away with the same front door as the suicide door sedan.  But Mopar would if it could. 

40 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

I

Coupe doors are wide, maybe the same width, but the glass frame slopes forward.  I don't know if the town sedan gets away with the same front door as the suicide door sedan.  But Mopar would if it could. 

As I stated in post 19, the Town Sedan doors are wider than that of the standard suicide door sedan...

3 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I'd love to take a tape measure to the 2dr sedan and compare the door & centre pillar length & design with that on a Business Coupe and Club Coupe.....I'm surprised that considering the low production of the 2dr sedan that Chrysler didn't decide to use the angled pillar Coupe door as it seems they did for both Business & Club coupes, using this door on the 2door sedan would have resulted in a more streamlined appearance, something akin to that used by GM on their various Aerosedans..........

.......Frank, thanks for the 2 pics of the 2doors, like I mentioned I had not seen pics of these Chrysler versions of this body before, tho' looking at them now they seem to be the same as that used by mopar for both Dodge & Desoto judging by the rear side window & rear 1/4 window design.........does anyone know if this is the case?.................

Plymouthy, when I win the lottery it won't get ratted, lol.......nice shinney paint for me..........thanks & regards, andyd.  

Plymouth one piece glass

b1ec2c47c988278c160f650322b306b2.jpg

Dodge one piece glass

gallery_4_3_1359568684_88.jpeg

DeSoto one piece glass

img_6ZtrFX0u8e.jpg

There yo go Andy! I would say they resemble the town car from Dodge to me.

26b1533fc8da524365eee3a7e4fdf7c2.jpg

Lets look at a standard 4 door.

5886595894_6fc289c884_b.jpg

Edited by Frank Elder

Frank yep, that picture of the black Dodge Town Car rear side window design is what I meant regarding the similarity to the 46-48 Chrysler 2dr sedan ........I knew that the Plymouth/Dodge standard 2 dr sedans used the one piece rear side window but its the design & use of the rear 1/4 window and just the overall difference in the way the door, rear 1/4 sheet metal and windows fit as compared to the normal 2dr that intriques me ......seems that mother mopar used a variety of the same basic panels and or design profiles with enough variety to cover their range of offerings...........very interesting, I wish one of every version lived down the street from me........lol........or in my wished for very big garage................andyd    

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi ya'all.

I bought the 2-door 1948 Chrysler New Yorker Luxury Brougham in Hiram Ohio in 2017. It sat for 2 years while trying to find a mechanic to work on it. Now been at the mechanic 6 months an no telling how much longer. I am really not a car enthusiast, but thought this car needed to be preserved considering it's rarity. Restoring to as close to original as I can. It may be another year before it is done. Re: door length, it is longer than 4 door sedan. Probably like the convertible, with 2 fold down seat backs. Otherwise like the 4 door sedan.

5 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1