USING MILLER TOOLS C-608 and C-594

48ply1stcar

As long as I was going to rebuild the front suspension, and that I had never gotten this deep into suspension repair before I thought I would take the opportunity to borrow Desoto1939's Miller tools.  So where to start. 

Where to start.jpg

Not only did I have the rubber seals from that came with parts from Bernbaum, I bought seals from Roberts.  I spent too much money but it was nice to choose.  None of the seals were marked and the two seals on the left were seals for the lower inner, the larger one from Roberts.  I used the larger on the driver's side, but it was so tight I used the AB seal on the pass side.

1501272441681.jpg

I used the busing to push the seal in place, much easier.  Placed the pivot bar in place.  When placing the tool C-594 between the ends of the lower control arms it might be tight at the bolt holes and between the ends of the arms and torque to 165lbs

1501188118601.jpg

1501188140357.jpg

1501188482841.jpg

Edited by 48ply1stcar
correction.

Using C-608 is a little more complicated.  After placing the pivot bar in place secure the tool to the pivot bar.  When the tool was in place it was already spread to the max.  So after talking to Rich I decided to spread the ends the 1/16th of a inch in accordance with the manual.  To accomplish that I added two large washers.

1501269037574.jpg

1501270215185.jpg

There are index marks on the tool so before applying pressure I measured 3 inches between the marks.  Then I turned the nut on the tool until there was 3 1/16 inches between the marks.

1501270271165.jpg

Install busing and torque to 120 lbs to 140 lbs.

Although, this can be done without the tools and you maybe able to center the pivot bars without these tools I just felt better using them for my first attempt at this project.

I you have read my other threads you are aware that given the opportunity I can screw things up.

Edited by 48ply1stcar
moved pictures

I use those same tools on restoration jobs and IMO an absolute necessity to do them the right way and fast and easy.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spell check

On 7/30/2017 at 5:34 PM, 48ply1stcar said:

you are aware that given the opportunity I can screw things up

IMHO (in my humble opinion), you aren't alone there @48ply1stcar . I've messed up plenty of things in life.

As a teenager, a carpenter friend once told me, however, that you can't judge a craftsman by how few mistakes he makes, but by how well he covers them up. I've never forgotten that. I take thousands of photos, but I don't show the bad ones. 1 good photo a day is all I need to be happy. 

If you don't make mistakes, you aren't learning.

And one of the best laughs my father and I had shortly before he died was about the quote "Always make new mistakes". 

Edited by medium_jon
autocorrect did me wrong
  • Like 2

This is a very nice explanation of the use of these tools, neither of which I have ever seen apart from on here or in the workshop manual nor heard of anyone in the local Oz Chrysler clubs ever having seen or owned a set of...........what I've done in the few cars I've had to do the bushes & pins on is to set the pins in a large vice, measure constantly and use plenty of lubricating oil etc......seemed to be o/k but I must admit I'd be very interested in a set of these if I ever found them here..........again, thanks for the tutorial.........andyd 

1 hour ago, kansascoronetguy said:

Hello im close to start my suspension restoration job, I had a couple of questions for you?

did you find that bernbaum was a decent and quality product for bushings and seals?

and do you have any other photos of your restoration job?

Still working on my suspension I hope to finish today.  I have been documenting my progress on another thread. 

I never done this before so I was satisfied the product.  I did buy a set of seals from Roberts not knowing that there would be a full set of seals with the Bernbaum product.  I mostly used the Roberts seals because I really liked them especially the seals for the outer bushings.  If you don't need to buy everything you can buy the inner, outer, upper & outer separately from Roberts.  I bought everything from Berbaum and when I got to the passenger side I really only needed the lower inner bushings.  But I did replace it all except the lower outer.  I cross-thread the bushing so I'm just putting the old one back in.

Just went through your other thread, there is a lot going on but im kind of in the same boat. I am replacing all bushings and seals only going to re use the arms and springs and knuckle.

I saw that you had good customer service with king pin kits and other kits at bernbaum? im thinking of splitting my parts search between them, Roberts and Kanters

Are you going with a Disc Brake Conversion?

• 6 months later...

Hi all,
I just signed up on P15-D24 forum and have been following the thread regarding correct assembly of the upper and lower control arms. I have a 1949 Plymouth (P-18) on which I am doing a ground up restoration and am stuck at reassembling the front end. Apparently the way to insure correct dimensions is to use the Miller tools ( C-594, C-608). I have looked on the web for these and have not located them anywhere.  Does anyone know where these tools can be rented or purchased please let me know.

Thanks
49Pilgrim
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone here have a lead on the 2 tools used in this post. I'm in the same boat needing to install the pivot shafts. Can it be done without the tools? Is anyone in possession of the tools who can give me some dimensions so I can make them. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Robert

It can and I'm sure has been done by many people including myself, the actual measurements between the upper and lower arms are in the workshop manuals and if you are reasonably competent with a welder you can make your own tools or just install the pins & bushes carefully and take lots of checks............here in Oz the tools would be almost non existant but we get by.........lol.......andyd  

• 9 months later...

I'm doing this job now too if you saw my thread.  One part of this job I found to be impossible to do.  That is installing the upper outer rubber seals and eccentric bushing into the steering knuckle.  I tried to make a crude copy of the Chrysler tool, but it's worthless.  I decided to put my steering knuckle on with just one seal.  Since the car will need a major alignment when I get it running, I'll just tell the alignment shop to do it.  Hopefully they can!  

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I'm doing this job now too if you saw my thread.  One part of this job I found to be impossible to do.  That is installing the upper outer rubber seals and eccentric bushing into the steering knuckle.  I tried to make a crude copy of the Chrysler tool, but it's worthless.  I decided to put my steering knuckle on with just one seal.  Since the car will need a major alignment when I get it running, I'll just tell the alignment shop to do it.  Hopefully they can!  

I don't know if this will help or if you saw this thread.  

Marc...........I'd be surprised if the shop doing the wheel alignment would be overly keen or interested in installing the correct upper seal when doing the alignment which is a fairly simple job..........BUT the installation of these factory style seals without the right and correct tool is a PITA........you might know of a friendly shop, let us know if you do........lol.......andyd 

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Dean said:

Where can one find a C-608 tool? If not is it really necessary?

finding original Miller tools of this era is harder than finding original mopar batteries. It seems the ones that were used have disappeared or are lost in tool piles without proper identification. Later on.

I see various Miller tools occasionally on eBay.

seems to me there should be a modern equivalent to these old tools ? Control arms exist today, and many a gomer piles in the past did this probably without Miller tools.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:54 PM, medium_jon said:

IMHO (in my humble opinion), you aren't alone there @48ply1stcar . I've messed up plenty of things in life.

As a teenager, a carpenter friend once told me, however, that you can't judge a craftsman by how few mistakes he makes, but by how well he covers them up. I've never forgotten that. I take thousands of photos, but I don't show the bad ones. 1 good photo a day is all I need to be happy. 

If you don't make mistakes, you aren't learning.

And one of the best laughs my father and I had shortly before he died was about the quote "Always make new mistakes". 

I was told a long time ago,

”The only way you can be sure of doing nothing wrong is by doing nothing. Every time you do something, you run the risk of doing some wrong.”

On 6/12/2020 at 4:36 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

That's the approach we took.  There is a truck frame shop near us that understands these types of front suspensions.  Just got it back from them today.  The alignment is sharp and they said I wasn't too far off with my assembly.  They had to redo the side my dad worked on (Ha)

Edited by NickPickToo

• 9 months later...

Hello folks, I purchased a tool collection from a older restoration shop whose owner passed. One old box had contents that I knew nothing about, and had trouble finding info about, luckily I stumbled across this thread. Looks like I have a bunch of miller tools for the desoto. Once I figure out how to add pictures I will. I’m looking to sell them as I have no use for them!