p15 shift linkage bell crank hole slop question

3046moparcoupe

I pulled this bell crank off our P15 project a year or so back. Wire wheeled it, scuffed it up good with a scotchbrite, painted it, and put it aside with the other parts of the linkage.

I noticed today that the linkage rod hole that connects one side of the bell crank to the steering column has some slop in it. It's a bit egg shaped from it's original 5/16 diameter to around 3/8, (so about 1/16th of slop) 

Any reason I shouldn't just weld in the sloppy hole and then re-drill it out ?

I figure this bell crank is cast iron, and I've read about issues with welding on cast iron manifolds (course manifolds have to endure heat extremes that this part would never encounter), anyway - hoping to freshening this part up with the welder and drill press - if possible.

Thanks again for the continued help with our project, and my restoration work education :)

Steve

100_4925.JPG

100_4926.JPG

Drill it out and bush it or weld it.

I would weld the hole and re-drill it.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for the reply's back.

Welded it in yesterday, however when I drilled out the hole - I found a soft spot (poor weld up inside the hole),....so I welded it back in again today - and resurfaced it smooth AGAIN with a flat file...heck if I find another hang nail area, on the inside when I drill it out, I may just have to use a bushing as well. :) 

Today - when I welded this again, I left the heat up on this wire feed welder, but slowed my wire down a bit and stayed in the hole a bit longer , I shall see.. most of my welding experience is in sheet metal repair.

Steve

Edited by 3046moparcoupe