Jump to content
DLK

bucket list

Recommended Posts

My best friend turned 68 Tuesday and has always been a dirt track racing fan.  He decided it's now or never and paid to drive a sprint car on a 1/4 mile oval.  He got over 25 laps for whatever he paid. The hardest part was getting that senior body shoe-horned into the car.  Wife and I drove the old Wayfarer about 110 miles to see him - we had a perfect weather day.  The Wayfarer runs great - my only complaint is the amount of chatter from the clutch on startup - it seems to be getting worse.  It works fine otherwise.  The clutch disk was just resurfaced this winter. :(

St Croix Speeday 7-2017.jpg

Sprint car.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like fun. On your clutch chatter have you tried dumping the clutch quickly at idle with the brakes on and allowing the fluid drive to squish the chatter? I drive my fluid drive Dodge all over town without using the clutch. I rarely use first gear and I know how to shift without using the clutch. On flat level ground I can stop at an intersection leaving the transmission in 3rd gear and accelerate smoothly when the light changes never using the clutch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it make noise when idling in neutral, but goes away when you press down on the clutch?  If so, have you checked the throw out bearing? I have gone through a number of them on old Mopars.  BTW. some throw out bearings have a grease fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

That looks like fun. On your clutch chatter have you tried dumping the clutch quickly at idle with the brakes on and allowing the fluid drive to squish the chatter? I drive my fluid drive Dodge all over town without using the clutch. I rarely use first gear and I know how to shift without using the clutch. On flat level ground I can stop at an intersection leaving the transmission in 3rd gear and accelerate smoothly when the light changes never using the clutch

Don I have resisted not using the clutch because of the low oil pressure reading at idle.  With the rebuilt engine it reads 5-10 lbs at 450-500 rpm and 40-45 at cruising rpm.  The shop told me they checked and said my gauge is reading wrong its more like 15 lbs.  Just for my comfort leveI I set the idle faster which means I have to stand on the brake more at a stoplight with the clutch out.

I will try your suggestion on the chatter. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

Does it make noise when idling in neutral, but goes away when you press down on the clutch?  If so, have you checked the throw out bearing? I have gone through a number of them on old Mopars.  BTW. some throw out bearings have a grease fitting.

I thought about the throwout bearing - I would have thought when they rebuilt the clutch and transmission last winter they would have replaced that but maybe not.  Guess i will check that out.  Then again maybe they put in an overseas cheapo part.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your oil pressure is actually good, both at idle and cruising speed, those readings are right where our D24 has been the last 26 years.  I was worried about it at first, too.  Your clutch chatter may simply be that the clutch pedal free play is not adjusted correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2017 at 7:46 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

Your oil pressure is actually good, both at idle and cruising speed, those readings are right where our D24 has been the last 26 years.  I was worried about it at first, too.  Your clutch chatter may simply be that the clutch pedal free play is not adjusted correctly.

You aren't the first one to say that.  It just seems strange to me that at idle oil pressure would be that low on a rebuilt engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kope49 said:

You aren't the first one to say that.  It just seems strange to me that at idle oil pressure would be that low on a rebuilt engine.

Me too. My p15 has about 25K on the rebuild and still shows at least 35lbs at all times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use