1939 - 47 Mopar Job Rated 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck Wheels

On 9/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, Young Ed said:

I've had radials on my 46 for 20 years. No tubes. The biggest issue I've had is the LF rubs the pitman arm on lefts so I had to adjust the steering stop. I might add a spacer to try and fix that.

Hi Ed,

Was the pitman arm rubbing issue with 215/85R16s on your truck minor? Did adjusting the steering stop limit your turning radius by much? I'm considering the 215/85R16s for my front axle. I converted to disc brakes which pushed the hubs out about 3/8" which might be just enough to avert the rubbing issue? Also, I'm curious what differential ratio you're running? Does your truck pull hills OK with the larger diameter tires?  Sorry for all the questions! :)  

Steve

3 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Hi Ed,

Was the pitman arm rubbing issue with 215/85R16s on your truck minor? Did adjusting the steering stop limit your turning radius by much? I'm considering the 215/85R16s for my front axle. I converted to disc brakes which pushed the hubs out about 3/8" which might be just enough to avert the rubbing issue? Also, I'm curious what differential ratio you're running? Does your truck pull hills OK with the larger diameter tires?  Sorry for all the questions! :)  

Steve

It made my left turns pretty wide. Not really noticable except for parking situations. Your 3/8 might solve the entire issue. I'm running a 3.90 diff and haven't noticed any issues on hills. 

37 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

It made my left turns pretty wide. Not really noticable except for parking situations. Your 3/8 might solve the entire issue. I'm running a 3.90 diff and haven't noticed any issues on hills. 

Thanks Ed! I'm hoping the 3/8 spindle offset will take care of that. I'm a bit worried about my increasing the tire diameter about an inch? I'm running a 3:55 rear with a S10 T5 trans. Pulled fine with the 650-16s. I also just discovered Michelin no longer makes the Defender LTX in 215/85r16. Geez! My plan was to run 245/75r16 Michelin Defender LTX on the rear (which I purchased a while ago). They have the same diameter but wider than the 215/85r16s which I now can not get in Michelin. They would have closely matched the rear tires I already bought. So, now I'm faced with mixing tire brands and load ratings which I really don't want to do. I feel like a fool that creates aggravation for himself sometimes by moving too slowly and other time too quickly without thinking things through? Lols!  Somebody tell me I'm not the only one? :)