photobucket restrictions due to 3rd party hosting

JBNeal
Go to solution Solved by JBNeal,

I started a photobucket account almost 2 years ago so that I could share photos, and it was free to join at the time.  I have had a few issues with photobucket recently, as it has randomly deleted several subdirectories I had uploaded for use on this site, which has been rather annoying...infuriating would be a strong word, but considering how much time I spent getting everything together to only have it wiped out, and not be able to communicate with anyone about the problem, the word comes to mind quite easily.  I have been getting some more photos ready to upload when I received an email this morning from photobucket telling me that I needed to upgrade to a paid account, due to third party hosting, and that my site access has been RESTRICTED until I do so.  I tried logging into my account, and I immediately get redirected to their FAQ page that has several topics that cover 3rd party hosting, upgrading to a paid account, and that they do not delete photos...and there are so many pop-up ads that I can barely navigate their site, and more often than not, the site locks up on my laptop....again, infuriating would be a strong word...

Has anyone else run into this problem?  I bristle at the thought of yet another tech company trying to sink its hands into my pockets, but I hitched my wagon to these clowns to share photos because at the time it seemed like a good deal.  I'm gonna guess that if I decide not to pay at some point in the future, photobucket will lock out my account and no one will be able to see my work...extortion is a strong word here too I reckon, even though the site appears to be changing their contract without my approval and requires monetary compensation in order to release shared content...cuz extortion and breach of contract would be against the law :mad:

photobucket changes horses midstream

Edited by JBNeal

I rarely but ever go to the Photobucket account but just logged on with no problem and no notices to any change or extortion fees.  As I have not used this account if ever so long, I burned down the account to two single pictures and let it go at that...being a free loader to begin with and an advocate of ad blocker software I was the scourge of humanity in their eyes anyway.  

Well over 10 years ago I paid Photobucket to upgrade my account. I thought this was an annual fee but they never billed me again. A couple years ago they offered an add free option for ten bucks so I paid that and they have never billed me again. I have about 7000 photos hosted there. There have been some technical issues but right now all is working as expected.

I got the email yesterday.  SO far none of my photos have been restricted here...I was just going to start a thread on this and you beat me to it.

holy CRAP!  $400 per year to use PB to host pictures!!! $400!

I'm gonna have a lot of broken links.....

10 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

I got the email yesterday.  SO far none of my photos have been restricted here...I was just going to start a thread on this and you beat me to it.

That is interesting. For the past few months I have been getting e-mails from them wanting me to buy albums or discs of all my photos. I got tired of all these e-mails so I marked them as spam and they go directly to my spam folder and I delete that folder daily without reading what is in there. I have most of my stuff backed up on the hard drives on all my computers so it they start restricting me I will not fall for there ransom scheme.

Long ago when photobucket started running super slow....aggravations of getting logged into your account, endless time to upload....I pulled the plug and basically emptied my account at that time.  I had since loaded a few more as service returned to that as before and a bit easier for me to deal with.  Since this last go around I again burned my account down to two snap shots.  This will hold my account in case thing again change for the better.  It was a beneficial site and was the FIX at one time , but most all forum I participate now allow direct upload from my computer it is basically much easier and renders the photobucket a time consuming now needless step for the same purpose with maybe exception to a steaming video.

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

That is interesting. For the past few months I have been getting e-mails from them wanting me to buy albums or discs of all my photos. I got tired of all these e-mails so I marked them as spam and they go directly to my spam folder and I delete that folder daily without reading what is in there. I have most of my stuff backed up on the hard drives on all my computers so it they start restricting me I will not fall for there ransom scheme.

interesting read.......    https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/photobucket-angers-users/

I am sure if more folks bought albums and disc they would not have to result to ramson as the folks seem to like to call it.  But for certain, as you were able to upload to their website, you have the very means at home to make you own albums and discs...again..cost of doing business....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I think this money grab will back fire.  Sadly many of my links will quite working but I ain't paying $400 that's or sure and I'm betting many others won't either.

simple math for the money grab:

10000000000 images

divide by say 10000 images per user

that's 1000000

so say a 400 MILLION dollar grab (conservatively)

Opting out of that 

12 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I agree.......greed does that...

If they had said more like $5 a month...I'd do it...MAYBE $10...but $33?  

I saw that email last night too but didn't look into it further yet. I agree that price is pretty steep. I can't access Photobucket from work because of our firewall settings, so I've been thinking about trying something else anyway. Maybe now is the time to shop around. That firewall thing also makes it so I can't see pics on this forum if they are linked from Photobucket. Pics from other sites seem to be fine.

Well if your don't need all the fancy interface stuff and just a server to host the files their is a simple and cheap solution. Just get an ISP account. Pair (our ISP host) has packages starting at $5.95 month for 15GB of disk space. Best part is if you contact me via PM I will get you a discount code of 20% and the I will also get a discount back against the monthly site bill. 

To use you just need to upload your image files via ftp (their are hundred of ftp clients for Windows and Mac) and then you can embed the image URL anywhere you want. TO BE CLEAR this DOES NOT give you the fancy view my files online interface like the other image sites, it just hosts the files and allows access via a web browser. It's bare bones, cheap and a little technical to use at first. Depending upon what you need it might be a great fit.  PM if your interested.   

One other point, most of you have a web server included with your internet provider be it cable or DSL. Capacities vary by provider but you should also check out that option. 

15 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I got that as well. Not going to happen. I replied to the email and just said I will not be using photobucket again. That is beyond ridiculous. I have enjoyed the free service and would be willing to pay a reasonable fee as mentioned above but from $0 to $400 is just plain highway robbery!!

Test image from Postimage... EDIT: HA!!! It works. Postimage.org is free, easy to setup and use (so far) and you can embed photos just like from Photobucket. And, it's not blocked my the firewall at work like Photobucket, Image Shack, or Fliker.

IMG_5210.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins

Maybe this is a dumb question from an old man, but why save photos on some remote site? I have over 10,000 photos on my 9 year old Imac backed up on a $45.00 hard drive from Walmart (actually two hard external drives just in case ). The computer did crash two years ago, but the back up saved everything. If sized correctly, my pictures upload with no problems. There must be an advantage - what am I missing here? Thanks.