1948 Dodge d24 front clip pictures needed

librado65

Greetings everybody

I am barely finding time again to work on my '48 Dodge. Finally got it running again and took my front pieces (fenders, hood pieces, and inner wheelwell) to get some paint on them. I will be repainting the entire car in the future once I get the funds correct. 

Anyways now that I got the front clip back from paint. I need pictures of how things are suppose to be. Everything is in pieces. For example i do not know how the hood attaches to the front fenders. Or how to attach the wheel wells to the front fenders. I know I know, I screwed up by having it taken apart but you live and you learn ;(. 

Librado..........not sure if this is much help as I've worked on 1940 & 1941 cars but from what pics CONN has posted I have a couple of questions.......do you have the engine installed as you mention getting it running..........as a general guide I'd be installing the engine/trans then the radiator surround and radiator..........the wheel wells or inner fenders as far as I know, at least if they are the same as 1940/41, are in two pieces for each side and attach after the fenders are fitted to allow the removal of the inner fenders for engine  maintenence but this is going on my knowledge of 40/41.........as for the hood, the two piece hood has a pair of "hinge" pieces that attach on the top of the firewall at the back and the top of the radiator support at the front which is why it needs to be installed...........the 2nd last pic you posted shows a pair of elongated holes in the front of the inner fender panel..........these two holes line up with a pair of threaded "bungs" inside each side of the radiator support channel, on my Dodge they are 3/8, maybe 7/16th UNF thread and are much larger than most of the bolts that hold the sheet metal together.......btw the 2nd pic down shows a bracket that the radiator support attaches to, the rectangular indent just behind that upward pointing bracket is to provide clearance for the radiator top tank......................Librado you mention everything is in pieces............lol...........how many pieces?..........do you have any pics of at what stage you are at?............also although this is probably not a great time to mention it but I'd suggest trying to find a parts manual, also go thru a workshop manual or owners manual if they are available especially looking at and studying EVERY picture as sometimes the background shown in pictures can be just as helpful to show where things actually fit and bolt locations etc.........another suggestion is to look at all the posts on this forum to see if they are pics that may help in giving you a better understanding of where things are.......the same is true of ebay for sale listings as they can show pics of a car in various stages of completeness that again help in understanding what fits where..................and I certainly am no expert...............after having my car for over 40 yrs I finally found via this site why the glove box door wouldn't open easily.......a "glove box door spring" was something I had never thought of yet learned from this site existed....and now it does on my car.............lol.................anyway hope some of this helps.......Andy Douglas    

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much fellas for your pictures!  I am now realizing the greatest mistake I made in my life was taking apart the car and not having enough time like I used to put it back together. I don't even remember where I saved the pictures of the me removing the front end. I dont remember how it was held together. The manual isn't as detailed as I expected it.

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that you have fallen into the same trap that most novices fall into, having no idea how or what they are doing. As one of the experts in the old car world said a few years ago, " back yards and wrecking yards are full of good intentions".

I have a complete, un-restored 48 Dodge 4 dr sdn, a very nice car that has a Chrysler 250 CID Spitfire engine and a Fluid drive trans'.. The car needs paint and upholstery. Mechanically the car is in excelled shape. I would be pleased to answer any questions, send you pix of anything you need.

If your car was taken apart by someone else other than yourself, I'll bet that they lost a lot of parts and fasteners, you might be hard pressed to reassemble the car without another '48 Dodge sitting next to it.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blucarsdn said:

It would appear that you have fallen into the same trap that most novices fall into, having no idea how or what they are doing. As one of the experts in the old car world said a few years ago, " back yards and wrecking yards are full of good intentions".

I have a complete, un-restored 48 Dodge 4 dr sdn, a very nice car that has a Chrysler 250 CID Spitfire engine and a Fluid drive trans'.. The car needs paint and upholstery. Mechanically the car is in excelled shape. I would be pleased to answer any questions, send you pix of anything you need.

If your car was taken apart by someone else other than yourself, I'll bet that they lost a lot of parts and fasteners, you might be hard pressed to reassemble the car without another '48 Dodge sitting next to it.   

You are definately right!!!! I should've never took things apart...I mean I look at the poor car everyday and I just want to kick myself in the butt every single time. It runs and all but without a front end I ain't going anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today Aug 31 is the first time I have  been on this site in quite a while. Sorry for not responding sooner.  The inner fender does not bolt to the firewall, I don't think.  I don't have the car at home, I'll look at it tomorrow and jog my mind.

Edited by windsor8

The inner fenders and radiator core support are one unit. The fender bolts at the front to the radiator support and at the rear to the cowl and under the chrome trim and down the inside of the firewall. The inner fender also bolts to the fender along the top lip.

Trim Clip.jpg

003e.jpg

27_1.jpg

Start Up Day!!!!!!!!!!!!aa.jpg