Portable fuel/gas tank?

squirebill

Anybody using a portable fuel tank in their old vehicle?  I've been using and 6 gal. outboard boat fuel tank with a quick disconnect on my 1948 B1B while working on it in my  driveway. Liked the way it was working out.  Only a small quantity of fuel dedicated to the truck.  It has a manual vent plug that can be opened when running the truck and can be closed to help prevent air from getting to the10% ethanol in the fuel. Had a plan to purchase another tank so would have 12 gallons on board.  When one tank got low would be able to disconnect from it and reconnect to the full tank. When I did Internet search for the new tank found out these poly tanks are not DOT approved.  Guess they're OK for running boat motors on the water but not vehicle motors on the roadways.  Anyhow, started an internet search for DOT approved fuel tanks.  Seems that manufacturer supplied tanks supplied on the vehicle are approved.  Then there other regulations for tanks that are used to transport fuel that are not supplying fuel to the transporting vehicle, i.e. if you are transporting fuel in portable tanks in the back of a pickup truck for example.  As can be expected these regs will make your head spin, but know if not followed correctly the fines involved would likely spin your head right off. I checked on buying a new replacement tank as seems to be recommended by this forum but was wondering if anybody was using something other than the stock fuel tank.  Regards to all and enjoy the upcoming 4th of July holiday.

I have always been concerned with the aux tanks I have seen at some shows.  The temp tank for about the house is marvel and accepted risk by you. I know the fuel cells are designed for racing application and you see these in many builds mounted in trunk or beneath a panel in a truck bed.  I always viewed the fuel cell as a shortcut or overdone item as the red wheels, satin black paint and body painted trim and bumpers.  Contrasting painted trim and bumpers on certain vehicles...acceptable.

while waiting a bit for my next pot of coffee to perk, I did some reading and found a couple statement that fuel cell are not DOT approved for reason other than SMOG test passing.  Little reading on the internet provides some very convincing stories of folks who were pulled for a normal highway stop getting in a tight spot with these cells in view plus this often leads to other on spot safety checks that may or may not get your car/truck impounded till returned to stock configuration.  Lot of this depends on who made the stop, if an avid race/old car fan type officer you may get a bit of 'averting of the eyes' but then you may get Sgt Sourpuss of the HP who off duty drives a pink Prius

we've been using an outboard tank on Dads 46 1/2 ton but it's a work truck and doesn't leave the woods. For your pilot house I believe a couple guys have been using the reproduction 39-47 tank and slightly modifying it to fit. 

At least one person I know of drove his old Dodge truck running gas for way to long out of a 5 gallon jerry can mounted to the pass. side  running board :eek: in Calif.! WE have more rules on vehicles than anywhere in the U.S.:(

DJ

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

At least one person I know of drove his old Dodge truck running gas for way to long out of a 5 gallon jerry can mounted to the pass. side  running board :eek: in Calif.! WE have more rules on vehicles than anywhere in the U.S.:(

DJ

they will catch him soon enough....