Portable fuel/gas tank?

squirebill

Anybody using a portable fuel tank in their old vehicle?  I've been using and 6 gal. outboard boat fuel tank with a quick disconnect on my 1948 B1B while working on it in my  driveway. Liked the way it was working out.  Only a small quantity of fuel dedicated to the truck.  It has a manual vent plug that can be opened when running the truck and can be closed to help prevent air from getting to the10% ethanol in the fuel. Had a plan to purchase another tank so would have 12 gallons on board.  When one tank got low would be able to disconnect from it and reconnect to the full tank. When I did Internet search for the new tank found out these poly tanks are not DOT approved.  Guess they're OK for running boat motors on the water but not vehicle motors on the roadways.  Anyhow, started an internet search for DOT approved fuel tanks.  Seems that manufacturer supplied tanks supplied on the vehicle are approved.  Then there other regulations for tanks that are used to transport fuel that are not supplying fuel to the transporting vehicle, i.e. if you are transporting fuel in portable tanks in the back of a pickup truck for example.  As can be expected these regs will make your head spin, but know if not followed correctly the fines involved would likely spin your head right off. I checked on buying a new replacement tank as seems to be recommended by this forum but was wondering if anybody was using something other than the stock fuel tank.  Regards to all and enjoy the upcoming 4th of July holiday.