Does this mean I just missed the old gal's birthday?

thebeebe5

Got done stripping the block and spun it around looking for numbers.  Seems 6-16-37 is a significant date for the coupe.  

Assuming it's an actual date and not just a coincidence.  

image.jpeg

Right.  Nice to be going through it on it's 80th birth date.  Still in service.  

Just wasn't sure if it was a blatant date.  Ford date codes are all, well, codes and that's all I'm really familiar with.  

Seems too easy on this one. Lol

46 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Right.  Nice to be going through it on it's 80th birth date.  Still in service.  

Just wasn't sure if it was a blatant date.  Ford date codes are all, well, codes and that's all I'm really familiar with.  

Seems too easy on this one. Lol

That would be the cast date. I've always heard they liked to let them season for a while so your actual build date is likely later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

That would be the cast date. I've always heard they liked to let them season for a while so your actual build date is likely later. 

When you use the term "season", it reminds me of what an old local racer/ engine builder once told me. He said it was good for An engine block to rust in the bores and "season out". Said it did it a lot of good. Now I know it sounds crazy and I'm not saying I support this statement. I will say the man had a good rep as a builder. May have just been a superstition, but then again...

While this is for a completely different type of engine and use, the same seasoning principles apply.......when BMW went formula 1 racing in the 1980's with their Turbo'd 4 cylinder engine they apparently specifically used 2nd hand engine blocks that had already done a set number of miles, the reasoning was that they were well seasoned apparently..........so after 80yrs I'd think that your 1937 engine should be able to handle a couple of large turbos at least...............or maybe not......lol........andyd.

Edited by Andydodge

Engine run on the highway are the better choice to build for high performance as they have been stress relieved in usage and in effects of the thermal cycles (heating and cooling of normal daily use).   Very few block are ever stress relieved at casting or initial build..very costly...The Mopar performance books covers this fairly well.

I remember Lil’ John Buttera used a “seasoned” small-block Chevy block in his Indy car. I don’t recall, tho’, if it was out of an old school bus, a truck, or a car. He mentioned it, but I only met him the one time. . . .  A lot of drag racers, including us, used blocks we took out of cars, because they were cheap, and they were “stable” (read that: seasoned).

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

While this is for a completely different type of engine and use, the same seasoning principles apply.......when BMW went formula 1 racing in the 1980's with their Turbo'd 4 cylinder engine they apparently specifically used 2nd hand engine blocks that had already done a set number of miles, the reasoning was that they were well seasoned apparently..........so after 80yrs I'd think that your 1937 engine should be able to handle a couple of large turbos at least...............or maybe not......lol........andyd.

Currently only planning one, @Andydodge

;)

On 6/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, Flatie46 said:

When you use the term "season", it reminds me of what an old local racer/ engine builder once told me. He said it was good for An engine block to rust in the bores and "season out". Said it did it a lot of good. Now I know it sounds crazy and I'm not saying I support this statement. I will say the man had a good rep as a builder. May have just been a superstition, but then again...

My wife's grandfather was a long time foundry guy. They made lots of large cast blocks, including for cummins. He's told me before they would let the blocks sit a month or so outside before delivery to season. He told me before why, but I don't recall now. I'll have to ask him again.