Trim clips that can be used on our cars

BobT-47P15

When my son in law was working on the convert following our tornado of 2011, he needed a few additional trim clips in

putting things back together.  As we all know.....sometimes it's not easy to find the period correct original style clips, so

I'm passing on this piece of information as an alternative that should work as a substitute.

Some others may have additional ideas or fastener styles that work.  I don't know if this topic has been discussed on here

lately as I am not participating as much as in past years. 

IMG_1268.jpg

I buy these by in quantity of 50 and 100 out of some company in Florida....excellent price, complete with sealing nuts.  Lot of cars require upward of a 100 clips and these can often fill the bill for 90% or better shape and sizes.  These are perfect for shaping and such odd clips..where top is longer than the bottom, where It may incorporate a curve...one word of caution is the mount stud can pop loose regardless of the source...have bought from many suppliers even NAPA whos sells them in packs of 10 all with the same results...only flaw in the mix that I can speak of...be careful...if you have to shape/curve these for a fit...I of recommend a spot weld.  I also recommend a cut off ziz wheel instead of trying to snap these as advertised, keeps distortion at a minimum.   Also as pictured is 1/4-20 studs..quite large for trim clips for the most part...majority will be offered in 10-24 threaded stud....

If and when ordering pay attention to the nuts as some are with sealer some at without...if you wish sealer specify.  Else, you going to be placing a lot of string dum-dum

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

We have a local bolt and chain company that I get Auveco clips for work.  I have in the past used them for my trim panel clips using part numbers 2619 and 2557 together.  There are a bunch of different ways to secure the trim, but these worked great for me.  I need to find something yet for my lower rocker trim, as it is much wider. Was thinking of making some bracket then bonding with 3M Window Urethane.  I've used it for plastic panel repair in the past and it works pretty well.  The clip and nut look like this:

Auveco2619.jpg

auveco-auv-2557-clips-and-fastners-4.jpg

When we put the belttrim back on my 39 Desoto we did not use the metal clips. We used the plastic clips that you can get an any good automotive paint supply. i prefer the plastic becasue they do not rust like the steel. You can damage the paint when trying to push in the end on the steel clips and crack the paint job. The plastic ends never rust and are eazier to push into the opening in the metal.

Just mu two cents. Also no one ever knows or can see the plastic and I feel they are a better option to use.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com