Inlet valves

BillyBoySmith

Hi Techies, - Is it common for the inlet valves to have a spring and seal under the valve head ? and if so what is the reasoning for it ? -  It's a D34 flathead I have stripped with intention of completely rebuilding it. Thanks in advance, B.B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 1:07 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

sounds by your part description that someone may have been installing some valve stem seals on the puppy....picture ??

A bit late I know, but here is a pic of the valves with springs (and seals ?) added under the head. Only the Inlet valves had these but  some had deteriorated..

19553954_1819471824746105_1107200455945348686_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 2:09 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

as the valves are removed from the block I am thinking they were slid onto the shaft just to keep parts in order, not reflect actual assembly position as shown...

Hi, this is exactly how they came out of the block. What you see are not valve springs (valve springs can just be seen at bottom of pic, just out of shot). These springs and seals (?) were installed just below the valve head as you see them. I've never seen anything like it before. One guy I spoke to thinks they might be installed to rotate the valves whilst engine is in operation.