The legend lives on

Don Coatney

Today my Grandson came over and we spent the afternoon working on my P-15. With my guidance he is a pretty good wrench spinner. Unfortunately my arthritic hands make it almost impossible for me to hold on to a wrench without dropping it. After a couple of hours we ran the engine. Problem with the number 2 carburetor but it should be an easy fix. Grandson turns 15 this coming weekend and gets his learners permit.

P6030001.jpg

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Today my Grandson came over and we spent the afternoon working on my P-15. With my guidance he is a pretty good wrench spinner. Unfortunately my arthritic hands make it almost impossible for me to hold on to a wrench without dropping it. After a couple of hours we ran the engine. Problem with the number 2 carburetor but it should be an easy fix. Grandson turns 15 this coming weekend and gets his learners permit.

P6030001.jpg

"Grandson turns 15 this coming weekend and gets his learners permit"

Hmmm,I'm guessing that and his enthusiasm to work on your old car is just a happy coinkydink,right?

You now OWN that grandson!

34 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Grandson turns 15 this coming weekend and gets his learners permit.

Hey grandpa, can I borrow one of the old cars of yours??

A few friends and one-- uh, girl  I met like old cars--- so please  --I promise etc. etc.! 

Also can you Not tell mom and dad?? :rolleyes:  :lol:

I do remember those days.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add mom and dad
  • Like 1

You know he will never forget that.  I think it will do any kid,  boy or girl a lot of good to work on an old car. Things like this just aren't that common anymore.

What about it Don? Does he have the gleam in his eye as he's checking out  'ole blue? Reckon he went and told all his friends how he had "the best day ever"?

Congratulations.   One of my grandsons helped me  grind , reinstall  and set the valves  in a 251 I had on the bench.  A good day.

But remember :  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill, (almost) every time.

Good to see the youth around these old cars. 

My 18 year old son is ecstatic about my recent '53 Windsor purchase. I let him take his girl out for rides. They love the big front bench so she can sit close. 

He has taken it to school this spring. He's in his senior year of high school. At lunch time they pack the car full and head to McDonalds for shakes. Good times for sure. It was all great till I had to address the valve issues last week. Car is down and he's missing it a lot. 

That's cool!  You must be doing something right. I have two sons. Grown now but neither were interested in my old cars. Now I'm hoping a grandson ( or grandaughter) has the interest. Have fun!

Good times.  Saw another P-15 on the road near my house a few days ago, almost identical to yours, slightly different paint color (silvery-blue metallic).  Turns out I have a fellow owner just over a mile away.

Nothing like the view of the world thru youthful eyes!  For those of us who are blessed with grandchildren we are truly blessed!  Don your grandson will carry your lessons thru life.  Happy Father's Day 

• Like 1