Coupes you like

pflaming

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Saw this today. A two door but possibly not a coupe. However possibly on the rare side.

IMG_9703.JPG

It's a 4dr Kaiser that someone has shaved the door handles on.

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

Saw this today. A two door but possibly not a coupe. However possibly on the rare side.

IMG_9703.JPG

It is a 1953 Kaiser Manhatten 2 door sedan

The attached photo of the green 1951 Kaiser Special is a production 4 door sedan. The rear door on the 4 door sedan is longer than the quarter glass on the 2 door sedan due to the longer front door, which was also used on the business coupe and the club coupe. 

The red and grey 1951 Kaiser Special is a two door sedan - note how narrow the strip is between the rear window and the trunk lid.  The red 1951 Kaiser DeLuxe is a Club Coupe - note the wider gap between the rear window and trunk lid as the rear seat is further forward due to the shorter greenhouse.  The same trunk lid was used on all models except the Travelers.

The Club Coupes are rare but most people like them over the two door sedans.

1951 Kaiser Special 4dr Sedan 101.jpg

1951 Kaiser DeLuxe 2dr Sedan 103.jpg

1951 Kaiser DeLuxe 2dr Club Coupe 112.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

My buddy hand built this body and frame from sheet metal and tubing

0519171906a-1.jpg

I'd like to have his name and address so I can kidnap and hold him prisoner for a few months.

• Like 1

You wouldn't have to kidnap him, just pay him. He's reasonable, he's got my 81 Scrambler body now. I've helped him with it, he for sure didn't need my help but it was a way for me to learn from someone really good. We've been great friends since high school . He's worked on some really high end cars and for some top notch shops. Does it on his own now. He's got a 30's Plymouth or Dodge truck that's his, making it an extra cab.

3 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

You wouldn't have to kidnap him, just pay him. He's reasonable, he's got my 81 Scrambler body now. I've helped him with it, he for sure didn't need my help but it was a way for me to learn from someone really good. We've been great friends since high school . He's worked on some really high end cars and for some top notch shops. Does it on his own now. He's got a 30's Plymouth or Dodge truck that's his, making it an extra cab.

Can you PM me his email address? I really need new rain gutters made for the rumble seat lid in my 33 Plymouth coupe.

1 minute ago, knuckleharley said:

Can you PM me his email address? I really need new rain gutters made for the rumble seat lid in my 33 Plymouth coupe.

I'll hook ya up. Let him get mine done first tho! Lol

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bingster said:

I heard William Powell in The Thin Man call them "Coo-Pay's."

My mother used to pronounce the word that way,too. She was born in 1905.

• Like 1

Yep, that was the way it was pronounced back then when they were actually building coupés.  

The word was French in origin - coupé - and was pronounced "coo-pay".

Seems "coo-pay" became "koop" with the arrival of the hardtop "koop" (coupe).

50 minutes ago, B-Watson said:

Yep, that was the way it was pronounced back then when they were actually building coupés.  

The word was French in origin - coupé - and was pronounced "coo-pay".

Seems "coo-pay" became "koop" with the arrival of the hardtop "koop" (coupe).

Back when I was first getting involved in old cars in the 1970s there were some old folks who would tell me "a 'coo-pay' is a car, a 'koop' is where you keep chickens".

Way back when there was a S.A.E. guide to body style names. It seems to have been largely ignored by the marketing people at all manufacturers, I guess the marketing people figure that engineers don't know how to market. :)

Basically what Ford called a Tudor and Chrysler called a Two Door Sedan was, by SAE standards a coach.

Starting in about 1935 built in trunks became available for sedan models. Plymouth called them "touring sedans" to distinguish them from what is sometimes now called a "slant back" but what was then still called simply a sedan. Originally it was pretty easy to tell a "two door touring sedan" from a coupe but as time passed and car shapes morphed it sometimes became difficult to tell the difference.

Anyway, a pre-WW2 reference I has says of the S.A.E. body nomenclature:

Coupe. -- An enclosed single compartment body. Passenger capacity varies with arrangement of seats or the length of wheelbase. Two doors are provided; back panels and top are permanent and the rear deck accommodates a luggage compartment. Small coupes have a single cross seat accommodating two or three passengers, while the larger coupes frequently provide a staggered seating arrangement which, with an auxiliary seat beside the driver, may accommodate as many as five passengers. The larger types are generally provided with quarter windows.

Coach. -- An enclosed two-door type body, with permanent back panels and top. A full width cross seat in the tonneau accommodates three passengers. To separate seats in the front accommodate the driver and an additional passenger, and by folding down, allow unobstructed exit or entrance to the rear seat passengers. Fender wells and trunk racks are frequently provided but are not inherent features of this type.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 8:08 AM, hansen said:

Not sure what this is,but I like it.

Skärmavbild 2017-07-18 kl. 14.04.59.png

I think it may have started life as a 35 or 36 Ford 5-window coupe

596fb82023541_PBCoupe1.jpg.6f69e835b3bf9395305fd01f1af410b0.jpg

This one belongs to a friend of mine in Mn. He was putting it together as a 50's hot rod with a 331,but now has it for sale. If I had the money,I'd buy it myself. PB coupes are pretty damn desirable and pretty damn hard to find these days.

I just bought a Auto-Twirler rotisserie and can't afford to pay attention right now,so I posted his Craig's List add in the classified section.

I do not get so much as one thin dime out of this. Just trying to help a friend find a good home for it.

37 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

596fb82023541_PBCoupe1.jpg.6f69e835b3bf9395305fd01f1af410b0.jpg

This one belongs to a friend of mine in Mn. He was putting it together as a 50's hot rod with a 331,but now has it for sale. If I had the money,I'd buy it myself. PB coupes are pretty damn desirable and pretty damn hard to find these days.

I just bought a Auto-Twirler rotisserie and can't afford to pay attention right now,so I posted his Craig's List add in the classified section.

I do not get so much as one thin dime out of this. Just trying to help a friend find a good home for it.

I have a couple of customers looking. Can you send me the link, please. Thanks,

Dave