Where under hood battery location

Hey Jj1981, enclosed some pictures of the "battery under the hood relocation" on my PT81 truck. Probably you have a bit different installation conditions, but maybe it helps to develop a solution for your b2b.

battery1.thumb.JPG.76a22f5f97c16a7da262760504de0fba.JPGbattery2.JPG.b54ae011d6d786159e293834a9e60cca.JPGbattery3.JPG.932f99c1cae54126c8667140439647a9.JPG

Mine is a B1B but I think that under hood they are pretty much the same.  I relocated my battery to the fire wall on the drivers side.  I also rewired the truck,  converted to a 1-wire 6V alternator and added a fuse block.   

Hmmmm, looking at the photos, makes me realize I need to clean up the firewall.  :)

100_2105.JPG

100_2106.JPG

just keep in mind that the area beneath could easily be subjected to some acid errosion......

On my 41 truck build I left it in place under the cab on the frame rail but I did modify the frame for a shelf tha tthe new battery box would slide onto and the box having a bolt welded that would fit theough a hole in the frame for an appropriate wing nut...Drill the end of the bolt for a clevis pin retainer clip to insert just in case the wingnut should work loose.  I used very flxible weld wires for the battery and left then long enough to easily be placed out of the way but yet allow the box to sit on the ground if needed to access the battery.  I did not have room under the hood for the due to install of the big block engine.

about acid problems.  So far I have not had any problems with the acid.  I built my own battery box, but if you are really worried about leakage, you might be able to find a leak free plastic battery box designed for marine use.  If you find one of the proper size, it just becomes a matter of mounting it to the fire wall. When I am working on the car a lot, it becomes a pain having to get under the floor to disconnect and reconnect the battery.  

maybe add one of these?

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-mat-black.html

I have never used one myself as I prefer sealed batteries and have read if you get these wet they hold moisture if your underhood battery mount setup gets wet?

Maybe build a tray with a drain to underside of truck and have the box sprayed with rattle can undercoating sealer?

Some thoughts,

DJ

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have a 57 Dodge D100 with a flathead 6. I am thinking about relocating the battery to the engine bay. Has anyone done so? I am curious to know what battery tray you used, where you mounted it to, and if possible, any pictures.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edward

I  may hanging on a limb here but the 58 model D100  I had was an early version, single headlight unit....it had its battery box on the front left fender near the radiator support.  I did not have this vehicle from new but the battery location did not look out of place at all.  I would venture to guess this may retrofit to the 57...be a place to start at least.

on my 52 a previous owner (fire department) installed an additional battery on the drivers side fire wall. it looked OK.

I don't know if 57 has as much room.....

I'd attach a photo if your interested but, i'll need to see a photo of your truck first.... cause nothin is free :D

Edited by Brent B3B
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, elane352 said:

Hello,

I have a 57 Dodge D100 with a flathead 6. I am thinking about relocating the battery to the engine bay. Has anyone done so? I am curious to know what battery tray you used, where you mounted it to, and if possible, any pictures.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edward

Edward, not in a Dodge D100, but maybe can give you an idea how to create a tray and how to mount it.

-> https://p15-d24.com/topic/43933-where-under-hood-battery-location/?tab=comments#comment-467591

Okay, thanks to everyone that replied. I do like the idea of mounting on the driver's side firewall. I do need to be careful if i go that route regarding available space. I also have one of those ram man disk brake kits that will requires a master cylinder and booster. I plan to install that soon. So if driver's side space is an issue, I may need to consider the passenger side or that front fender option near the radiator support. Many thanks

Edward 

I plan to do that on my 56 1/2T.  looks like there is room on the left side above the generator/alt mount area.  Maybe cut a notch in the inner fender, being careful of the tire's turning arc and weld in a recessed spot for a 26 size battery.  That should be big enough in my climate and driving habits.

Really don't want to keep in under the cab or move it somewhere that requires much longer cables.  I'm also using suspended pedals with firewall mounted master and hyd clutch so that area is out.

I like the idea of putting the battery in a more accessible location. My truck has a 6V Optima battery, so it's a lot smaller physically than a traditional battery. Those are sealed also. They are expensive, but I never need to worry about the battery.

Another choice is a lithium battery like this one...https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Battery-LFX18A2-BS06-Lightweight-Powerful/dp/B007B6UNV2/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=6v+lithium+battery&qid=1592093866&s=automotive&sr=1-12

Edited by lostviking