51 plymouth cranbrook heater core removal

41plymouthcookie

The first time I removed mine the hose were adhered to the copper lines on the core so well that I started to damage them by pulling and twisting. I recommend giving the hoses a small twist and pull and if they don't come off, cut and replace and/or shorten them. 

I use a new single edge razor blade and carefully slit the hoses at the pipe connection and pull off... no twisting pulling force needed.

Another easy way is to lift the edge of the hose just a little with a small screw driver or hose pick and spray a quick shot of brake cleaner or carb cleaner at the hose connection... Usually a quick little twist... the cleaner acts as a temporary lube and the hose pulls right off.... same to easily install them a quick shot shot of cleaner and the hose slips right on and the cleaner quickly dissipates.

You can't see it well in the picture but you can buy a tool to help break those hoses lose. Basically a screw driver with the end bent into a hook. You slip the hook between the hose and pipe and then you can push it around the pipe to break it free.

IMAG0112.jpg

I agree with DodgeB4ya. If the hoses are so old that they are bonded to the heater tubes you don't want to re-use them anyways. Cut them off just beyond the end of the copper tube then slit them with a razor blade to get them off of the copper. 

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I use a new single edge razor blade and carefully slit the hoses at the pipe connection and pull off... no twisting pulling force needed.

What he said!!! What I was trying to say but he said better.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

You can't see it well in the picture but you can buy a tool to help break those hoses lose. Basically a screw driver with the end bent into a hook. You slip the hook between the hose and pipe and then you can push it around the pipe to break it free.

IMAG0112.jpg

On the left with the red and black handle. I used to use that tool to clean out horse hooves never knew what it was really for. Just knew that's what the farrier used it for so that's what I used it for.

1 minute ago, Hubler13f said:

What he said!!! What I was trying to say but he said better.

On the left with the red and black handle. I used to use that tool to clean out horse hooves never knew what it was really for. Just knew that's what the farrier used it for so that's what I used it for.

haha they have many purposes. They are also useful for pulling on the head of a cotter pin. 

Even worse then stubborn hoses is the hardware securing the heater box to the inner fender.

Soak 'em good in your favorite penetrating oil.  If your car has spent even a little time in or around the rust belt you will probably snap off at least one of the fasteners.  I'm 2 for 2 so far.  Good luck.......