Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

In some examples do cars get updated just for the sake of updating?  So all new features can be advertised and attract new buyers? Is newer better, just because its new? Not always.  Yet in other ways newer is safer and in most cases needs less maintenance. 

All those cool old mom and pop gas and service stations dried up and disappeared. The list of regular maintenance items was indeed long, however not too technical. At least compared to today’s standards. From brake adjustments to points, valve sets,  100 lube points, and much more. Every little service station did alright.  

Today many cars only need a new filter and oil every 7-10K miles.  Its got a million bells and whistles to tell you when it needs window washer fluid or air in a tire.  Yet the average car lasts 5 years in the original owners hands. We crush ‘em probably at year what? 20?  Built to last? No. Simple? Certainly not. 100 lube points? All gone along with the friendly gas jockey. 

The problem with new vehicles is they're too complicated and you can't work on them. At least they're too complicated for me and I can't work on them. So when anything happens you have to take it in for service. Which maybe is okay unless you own an EcoDiesel! ?

Our Dodge minivan is a nice car don't get me wrong fellas.  It's got good power and hauls us wherever we want. It's just terrible in the snow though. And I'll always prefer the Meadowbrook!

5 minutes ago, tjlarson88 said:

You keep saying it’s a rust bucket. 

I don’t honk I’ve ever seen a nicer looking rust bucket!

I've said it before, my camera somehow makes it look nice. The rockers are shot, there's big holes below the tail lights, the fenders are rusty, there's holes in the floorboards and trunk, there's a series of gouges in the trunk lid, the front bumper is smashed into the body, etc. But I don't worry about it getting any worse! ?

All the scars revealed. I still like it. I respect it as it still puts on the miles and bring the smiles year after year.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

Forgot a couple pics.  The trunk gouges remain a mystery. But the original owner's daughter told me about the front bumper being smashed in. Her mom went to move the car in the late 50s and lost control and hit a stump in the yard. She never drove again according to the daughter who was 75 when I talked to her last. She said her dad was super pissed!

IMG_20210225_175637442~2.jpg

IMG_20210225_175705475~2.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Worden18 said:

Forgot a couple pics.  The trunk gouges remain a mystery. But the original owner's daughter told me about the front bumper being smashed in. Her mom went to move the car in the late 50s and lost control and hit a stump in the yard. She never drove again according to the daughter who was 75 when I talked to her last. She said her dad was super pissed!

IMG_20210225_175637442~2.jpg

IMG_20210225_175705475~2.jpg

That is really strange! Must have either been backed into with something at that height or backed into something that made the scratches/gouges.

My grandpa backed into my 2000 Chevy Malibu with his combine about 10 years ago and it was just the right height that the fins on the back of the combine chopped the antenna off clean and made some light scratches in the trunk lid. Replaced the antenna, but never did fix the scratches. The car still runs fine, but has definitely collected more rust since that incident!

13 minutes ago, tjlarson88 said:

That is really strange! Must have either been backed into with something at that height or backed into something that made the scratches/gouges.

My grandpa backed into my 2000 Chevy Malibu with his combine about 10 years ago and it was just the right height that the fins on the back of the combine chopped the antenna off clean and made some light scratches in the trunk lid. Replaced the antenna, but never did fix the scratches. The car still runs fine, but has definitely collected more rust since that incident!

Some of the gouges in the trunk are pretty deep. I'm thinking it had to be backed underneath something in order for it to push the metal down like it did. I don't think something dropping on it could have put the deep gouges in there. Never thought I'd be so proud of a bunch of gouges in my trunk! ? 

All this talk about graceful aging has stirred up some feelings about my '38 Plymouth sedan. The engine is currently out and I am in the process of rebuilding it. I have the opportunity now to clean up the engine bay. Paint the engine. Coat engine compartment body parts in POR-15 or something similar.  Really doll it up. Now would be a great time to unbolt the fenders. The radiator nose cone, hood and side panels are already off. I could clean everything up on the front end. Sand it down. Prime and paint it. Then eventually work my way back toward the rear. 

Yet, something tells me no. There is something appealing about the car looking like it just came off the farm. I can't quite say what or why.

Maybe it's the running board's rubber worn right through to the metal underneath? From 80 years of families going on vacation. Or maybe blue collar working Dads going to work every day? The dent and dings here and there from a teenager learning to drive. Or a house wife going to the grocery store every week. 

There is something oddly appealing about a mechanically sound, reliable daily driver. One that looks like it's been driven every day for 50, or even 80 plus years. There is something satisfying about good old American grit that is still out on the roads today. An example of great American engineering that just keeps going. 

I can't say with confidence where my '38 will end up while under my care. Yet the journey to get there will likely be the most enjoyable of any car I have ever owned.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

All this talk about graceful aging has stirred up some feelings about my '38 Plymouth sedan. The engine is currently out and I am in the process of rebuilding it. I have the opportunity now to clean up the engine bay. Paint the engine. Coat engine compartment body parts in POR-15 or something similar.  Really doll it up. Now would be a great time to unbolt the fenders. The radiator nose cone, hood and side panels are already off. I could clean everything up on the front end. Sand it down. Prime and paint it. Then eventually work my way back toward the rear. 

Yet, something tells me no. There is something appealing about the car looking like it just came off the farm. I can't quite say what or why.

Maybe it's the running board's rubber worn right through to the metal underneath? From 80 years of families going on vacation. Or maybe blue collar working Dads going to work every day? The dent and dings here and there from a teenager learning to drive. Or a house wife going to the grocery store every week. 

There is something oddly appealing about a mechanically sound, reliable daily driver. One that looks like it's been driven every day for 50, or even 80 plus years. There is something satisfying about good old American grit that is still out on the roads today. An example of great American engineering that just keeps going. 

I can't say with confidence where my '38 will end up while under my care. Yet the journey to get there will likely be the most enjoyable of any car I have ever owned.

Sit and think about it, and don't make any hasty decisions. But whatever you decide we will support you!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I definitely agree with these sentiments, Keith. 

If my '49 Plymouth was as nice as it is new (fresh looking paint and a very nice interior) I would still enjoy it. 

You've already put a lot of work into your '38 and it looks great and I love the way you enjoy it and share your progress.

My '52 Mercury is a lot more original and untouched other than rebuilding the engine. The inside has mouse holes in the headliner and the seats would benefit from being redone. The trunk has some holes in it and the lid doesn't shut properly (still haven't figured that out...). I feel more comfortable driving that car around on gravel roads, I guess. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3-6-21:

Drove the Meadowbrook to work all week.  Took it to the car wash today and got all the salt off.  Cruised around town for a while.  LOTS of people out in their yards drinking beer and visiting.  Got a few waves.  Photo is enhanced, giving my car a sheen it doesn't really possess. ?

IMG_20210306_172413768_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2