Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Yes,the MC is German. Either a BMW,or the cheaper,less flashy version,the Zundapp. I suspect this one is a Zundapp.

Worden,

Outstanding set of pictures in a surreal, still extant junk yard! Kudos!

Walt

• Thanks 1

From a distance my son yelled:

"Dad, look!  A Kaiser Manhattan!"

The tour group looked at him, and then was amazed that he was right. That "Roadside Relics" book I bought has come in handy for sure!

IMG_20211002_101251674~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_100958636_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_101130799_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_095348261_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_093354712~2.jpg

• Like 1

I'll put to rest any rumors about Elmer and his collection of cars and toys etc.  First of all, he has a museum with over 100 cars and 700 pedal cars and all kinds of other toys.  Unfortunately Elmer passed away a couple of years ago. I talked to his daughter today and asked her if there was an auction after his passing. there was rumors that Jay Leno or one of his associates was going to come and buy a couple of cars. That did not happen. 2 years before Elmer passed away he sold his Superbird and his Daytona.  Those brought big money, and I know the guy that bought them.  Everything else remains intact at the museum.  Like I said that was straight from his daughter.

Edited by Worden18

10-2:

Out cruising with the kids. The second picture has a train in the background.  We were out for about an hour and 15 minutes.  It was a calming ride. I'm having grounding issues with my brake lights and blinkers. I'll have to work on that soon.  The Meadowbrook has that special stank that we always love when we hop in the cabin.

IMG_20211002_183423181~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_190016264~2.jpg

• Like 1

Great pictures of the junk yard. I love going through yards like that but at the same time I feel sorrowful so many good cars are rotting away. They eventually get to the point they are no longer restorable but only good for parts. Hopefully some will get saved and others live on as donors. 

Thanks for posting so many great pictures!

• Like 2

10-9:

Out for a cruise in the Meadowbrook with my oldest daughter. We went down by a Veteran's Park, then on to a different part of the lake, and then to Bronx to look at their pumpkins!  The Meadowbrook is so much easier to drive than my truck! ?

IMG_20211009_165009397_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211009_165451793_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211009_165726395_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 1:19 PM, Worden18 said:

Dodge, Divco, DeSoto hood ornament.

IMG_20211002_102041421_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_102359845_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211002_102448001~2.jpg

I've got a thing for Divcos. One of my old man's favorite stories was when he was in high school, he had a job driving a milktruck, and rolled it over, taking a corner too fast on an icy road. Looking at how tall and narrow that thing is, I'll bet plenty of reckless teens did the same thing.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:23 PM, Worden18 said:

10-9:

Out for a cruise in the Meadowbrook with my oldest daughter. We went down by a Veteran's Park, then on to a different part of the lake, and then to Bronx to look at their pumpkins!  The Meadowbrook is so much easier to drive than my truck! ?

IMG_20211009_165009397_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211009_165451793_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211009_165726395_HDR~2.jpg

I love seeing you enjoy your Meadowbrook with your family!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

10-22:

My brother asked if he could take the Meadowbrook for a while because he enjoys driving it.  His son also wants to learn how to drive it. What better than a car with Fluid Drive to learn a clutch? I drove the car to his place and we cruised around for a while and then he drove me home.  Jeez, now I miss the Meadowbrook!  But it's in good hands. I'd never let anyone else borrow it except for my brother ?

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

5-28-22:

7 long months without the Meadowbrook.  Last fall it was leaking gas and running rough for my brother, so he shut it off in the grass next to my Mom's driveway which is where it sat until today.  The tires were slightly sunken into the ground when I put in a fresh battery and dumped gas down the carb.  Nothin'.  I checked the coil...ok.  Took out all of the plugs and cleaned them.  More gas down the carb.  Choke pulled.  She fired up!  Brakes work, e-brake works, etc.  Generator not charging.  Other than that issue, things seem okay.  I need to just get it home now and give her a proper tune-up and oil change.  Sorry I've been gone so long, but wifey and I had another baby and the babe was born 3 months early. We had quite a rough time there for awhile.  Excited to bring the Meadowbrook home!

IMG_20220528_200941942_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 5

Well hope things smooth out and get back to some what normal.

Congratulations on the newborn!

Missed your weekly outing posts.

Thanks for coming back for more great Dodge weekly pics!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

First, glad the baby’s well as that’s most important! Boy or girl?

Second, nice to see the Meadowbrook back in the land of the living. 

Thanks!  We had a girl; Jackie is her name.  She was 2.4lbs and only 29 weeks.  She spent 54 days in the NICU and beat sepsis too.  Wifey had super high BP; including one ER visit where it was 231/166.  Yeah, I don't know how she survived that.  It's beyond stroke levels. I did a lot of praying I'll tell you that.  

• Like 3

I've been thinking of you lately. We were down in your neck of the woods last weekend at the Elmer automotive and toy museum. I'm glad to see your back! Congrats to you and the family on the new baby girl. Sorry to hear about the rough times, I can't imagine what that was like. I'm looking forward to your posts and outings this season. Hopefully this summer our paths will cross.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad to see you checking in Worden. I have noticed your absence here. Was hoping things were ok. I am happy to hear your family is doing well.

• Thanks 1

You and your family experienced quite a rollercoaster with the little one; glad to hear of the positive outcome, and that you again have the opportunity to share once and awhile with us again.  All the best to you all.

• Thanks 1

5-29:

My daughter and I drove to my brother's place this evening to pick up the Meadowbrook.  I was a little leary about hitting the highway with it since so much time had passed when I drove it last.  She fired right up.  It was past dusk.  Lights on.  Daughter behind me in her Buick.  I drove the 25 miles home with no real problems other than my amp guage giving me strange readings.  It seemed to be on discharge more when I gave the car gas, and at idle the needle would be on the + side.  Exactly the opposite of what it should.  But at 50 mph and steady gas the needle was neutral.  I suppose I'll pull the generator out and have it looked at.  There's a guy in town that does rebuilds.  

It sure felt good to be behind the wheel.  The musty smell of the interior, the cool night air rushing in thru the open vent.  The sound of the engine and the way the seat is molded to my body.  The simple dash...no extra BS or navigation, no radio.  It ran the temp it always does (still a big fan of Evan's waterless coolant), and the oil pressure was normal.  Welcome home Meadowbrook!  My daughter said the car looked awful strange from behind on the highway.  I told her it just outclasses everything else on the road.  We took a short cruise around town after she parked the Buick.  The bar-goers had fun staring at us!

Pic 1:. Stopped at Kwik Trip to grab a Gatorade...dang I was parched!

Pic 2: On the cement pad in front of my garage.  

IMG_20220529_213324253~2.jpg

IMG_20220529_215836302~2.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TravisL17 said:

I've been thinking of you lately. We were down in your neck of the woods last weekend at the Elmer automotive and toy museum. I'm glad to see your back! Congrats to you and the family on the new baby girl. Sorry to hear about the rough times, I can't imagine what that was like. I'm looking forward to your posts and outings this season. Hopefully this summer our paths will cross.

See it while you can. Elmer has left us and the museum pieces are getting auctioned off this fall. 

5-30:

Just looking at the extra patina courtesy of the weather (and me leaving the car outside in the weather).  Probably doesn't look much different to you guys, but I certainly notice it.  Also, most if not all of the Penetrol I applied to the body years ago has worn off.  Not sure if I'm going to add a new coat or not.  I just applied it with a foam brush.  It lasted quite a long time and I believe it was more durable than linseed oil.

I checked the oil and antifreeze levels: both full.  The battery that was in the car last fall won't take a charge.  Time for a new one.

IMG_20220530_090707129_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220530_090718787~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1