Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Glad to see you bagged them!  ?

I was thinking maybe you had put a tarp in the trunk and piled/pushed them in there before looking at the last pic. Maybe leave the trunk lid up slightly while driving there to lighten the load.  ?

DJ

• Haha 1

4-11:

Out cruising; stopped for gas.  A gentleman pulled up behind me to fill up. 

He asked, "is it a 48, 49 maybe?

I told him 51.  He said the first car he ever drove was his dad's 50 Dodge, which he sat on his father's lap and steered when he was about 4!  Then he told me his dad later bought a 57 Coronet with a V8 and push button tranny.  He drove that throughout high school.  In 1971 the transmission went out and he pushed it into a ditch on his uncle's farm.  It's still there.  That same car hauled he and a friend's motorcycles in the 60s (they raced).  He said they would strap one to the front bumper and one to the rear, and pull 3 more on a trailer.  Wish I had a picture of that!  We chatted for about 10 minutes.  He sure was funny ?

IMG_20210411_190505926_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

4-11:

Out cruising; stopped for gas.  A gentleman pulled up behind me to fill up. 

He asked, "is it a 48, 49 maybe?

I told him 51.  He said the first car he ever drove was his dad's 50 Dodge, which he sat on his father's lap and steered when he was about 4!  Then he told me his dad later bought a 57 Coronet with a V8 and push button tranny.  He drove that throughout high school.  In 1971 the transmission went out and he pushed it into a ditch on his uncle's farm.  It's still there.  That same car hauled he and a friend's motorcycles in the 60s (they raced).  He said they would strap one to the front bumper and one to the rear, and pull 3 more on a trailer.  Wish I had a picture of that!  We chatted for about 10 minutes.  He sure was funny ?

IMG_20210411_190505926_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

I had a guy come over to me at the gas station this morning and he asked what year my car was and I said a ‘49. “That’s the first car I ever drove!” He took a few photos and was on his way again. He had followed me into town for a couple of miles and I had even casually waved to him in his (newer) convertible as I drove by. 

Fun to have these interactions! Hopefully more in the months to come. 

I don’t know if it’s my age (32) or what, but not that many people ask me about the car so far ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Some of the best conversations about my 50 have taken place under those very circumstances, gas station stops and people reminiscing about a similar car they once had. You gotta love the smile it brings to a person's face when they see a car that takes them back to their childhood.

• Like 2

4-13:

Here's the license plate that I originally wanted to use. But it has all numbers, and the state doesn't allow that. Minnesota requires at least one letter for the year of manufacture plate. Needed a little change so I put the plate on. Not even worried about the cops ?

IMG_20210413_120231864_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210413_120237139_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 4

4-14:

Heading out for work.  A chilly 32F.  Heater cranked! 

Last night I took a look at the linkage on my carburetor.  Good thing I did because the nut was loose.  Note to self: put a lock washer on there...

IMG_20210414_074058267~2.jpg

• Like 2

4-16:

On lunch at work.  55F and sunny.  Driving the Meadowbrook every day, rain or shine.  Been parking on the street in front of my house.  It'll soon lose its garage space to my B1C; that's sitting outside at the moment too ?

IMG_20210416_121857504~2.jpg

IMG_20210416_121907056~2.jpg

• Like 1

4-16:

Out cruising with my daughter.  Stopped at Kwik Trip for snacks.  Heater on low.  Meadowbrook running mighty fine ?

IMG_20210416_203901831~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 3

4-17:

Took the road less traveled to my boss's mom's wake.  The steep curvy road was one I hadn't driven in 20+ years.  I was able to lug up the hill (about a mile) at 30mph without losing speed.  The pictures are from after I reached the top, which is basically the highest point in Winona county because you're above the bluffs.  It was a good time for a photo op. The smell of manure in the air, the clear skies, and the beautiful fields made me grateful to be alive. 

IMG_20210417_095446261~2.jpg

IMG_20210417_095455452~2.jpg

IMG_20210417_104804364_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 4

4-17:

Out to Fleet Farm for mulch.  10 bags to start with.  Who needs a truck??

The young lady at the Fleet Farm yard gate said, "this car is sick!"  

She wanted to know what year it was, and was surprised when I told her its a daily driver.  

IMG_20210417_144849567_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20210417_150124123~2.jpg

IMG_20210417_150133708_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

I'm starting to think you need to send a check to the guy you bought this car from. You are just having WAAAY too much fun for whatever you paid him for it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I'm starting to think you need to send a check to the guy you bought this car from. You are just having WAAAY too much fun for whatever you paid him for it.

He and the previous owners did nothing good at all for the car.  Together combined (not including the original owner) they put on less than 1,000 miles in 40+ years and left me with a pile of junk upon purchase.  Yep, I was dumb enough to buy it. ?

On the other hand, it's been the best and the most fun car I've ever had.  And I've owned almost 60 cars.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

As my nephew would say: your car is "dope!". I dig your spare tire too. ?

The winter spare is one of two that came with the car.  They are super old.  Holds air though!?

I got 10 bags of mulch in the 47 Plymouth.  8 in the trunk and 2 in the passenger front seat.  There were about 6 people helping load the bags.  They all wanted to check out the car.  So much fun to have an old Mopar.  Like your car the picture makes it look much nicer than it is.

1947 Plymouth P15 .jpg

• Like 1

4-24-21:

Took the kids out cruising tonight.  37F so I had to cycle the heater.  We were grateful it works good! 

Drove on some back roads for about a 30 mile round trip.  The Meadowbrook was smooth as usual; no problems.  Can't say that for our 2019 Dodge van, which about 2 miles down the road today the engine light came on.  The Meadowbrook's engine light never came on! ?

The Meadowbrook is just simply a better car bar none....

IMG_20210424_214239805~2.jpg

IMG_20210424_213100606~2.jpg

IMG_20210424_211724167~2.jpg

IMG_20210424_201234672~2.jpg

• Like 2

4-30:

Home after work.  Drove it in everyday except for Thursday when I drove my 48 B1D. 

Later on, out for a lazy night cruise around town with the kids.  Stopped for a snack of egg rolls, potato wedges and Gatorade.  Meadowbrook is running as smooth as ever.  Sure was fun.  Somehow it's like a brand new treat every time I drive it.  I'm happy my kids are always up for a ride.  95% of the time they are the ones suggesting we go ?

IMG_20210430_171744473_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20210430_215413085~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

You got the brakes done on the 1 toner? 

Not yet Merle.  I'm slower than a wounded possum ?

Been messing around with everything wrong on the B1C....

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

OK. I questioned that due to your statement earlier... I’ll assume that was a typo then? 

Typo!  I meant B1C ?