Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

On 12/19/2020 at 9:58 PM, Worden18 said:

12-19-20:

Out with the Meadowbrook today.  Filling up at Sinclair.  Enhanced photo using some tools on my phone.  Nobody knows how those big gouges found their way onto the car.

IMG_20201219_092126234~4.jpg

Must have been quite an event! I have a 2000 chevy malibu with scratches on the trunk lid because my grandpa backed into it with a combine the fins on the back were just the right height and all that happened were the minor scratches and the antenna being snapped off. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:10 PM, Worden18 said:

A pic at one of my friend's properties.  

IMG_20201219_141422652_HDR~2.jpg

I love the colors in this photo! Definitely qualities resembling film. This would actually make an awesome poster!

Edited by tjlarson88
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lepic56 said:

Happy new Year to you , your family, the dogs and of course the  Meadowbrook..  

Happy New Year to you and your family!  Here's to many more miles...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jan. 29, 2021:

Drove into work. On the way there a semi driver gave me the thumbs up. I caught back up to him in traffic and gave him a honk.

When I got to work my coworker said: "look at this video. A friend of mine filmed this."

It was me driving ahead of that same semi! ?

Small world!

After work I picked up my daughter and one of her friends from a shopping spree and then grabbed a pizza.  The clerk at the pizza place liked my car.  The heater was fantastic as it was pretty cold here yesterday.

IMG_20210129_142459324_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Imagine that lot full of classic cars ?

That would be awesome.  In the summertime there's one other guy who drives his cars in.  He has several including a '67 Buick station wagon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Does your car have a fresh air heater? I enjoy your significant use of that old sedan! 

You mean with the winter/summer settings?  If so, yes it does.  But I don't know how that is supposed to work.  I never really looked into it.  Explain if you have a minute please.

• 3 weeks later...

2-20-21:

Out for a late night cruise with the kids.  Had kind of a crappy week, so driving the Meadowbrook made me feel civil again.  The bitter cold is past, but it's still a chilly 15F.  Heater worked great, and the car ran really good as usual.  After stopping for some snacks we even hit the interstate for about 10 miles. This week I'll probably drive it to work.

IMG_20210220_201936999~2.jpg

IMG_20210220_192715875~3.jpg

• Like 2

The bitter cold is past, but it's still a chilly 15F

I sure am glad that *I* don't live in a place where 15 degrees is considered to be "chilly".

• Haha 1

2-22-21:

34F and sunny feels much warmer!

1951 Meadowbrook: darn good in the snow.

2019 Dodge minivan with traction control: terrible in the snow.  You wouldn't believe how terrible.  

Like I've said before, technology my *ss!

IMG_20210222_112357278_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

2-22-21:

34F and sunny feels much warmer!

1951 Meadowbrook: darn good in the snow.

2019 Dodge minivan with traction control: terrible in the snow.  You wouldn't believe how terrible.  

Like I've said before, technology my *ss!

IMG_20210222_112357278_HDR~2.jpg

Would you say that the fluid drive is what allows the Meadowbrook to handle so well in the snow? 

It's wonderful you prove these MoPar flatheads are very reliable by driving yours every week in all weather conditions.

As originally built with no modern high tech ignition or fuel system...

Stock brakes, transmission and suspension too!

Always enjoy your posts!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's funny in the winter time the stares I get driving the Meadowbrook.  Probably because of the salt on the roads and the thought that something like this would never start in cold weather. But I've proven it will start up in -33° F, and the car was rusted out decades before I ever owned it.  Drive on!!

• Like 2

In some examples do cars get updated just for the sake of updating?  So all new features can be advertised and attract new buyers? Is newer better, just because its new? Not always.  Yet in other ways newer is safer and in most cases needs less maintenance. 

All those cool old mom and pop gas and service stations dried up and disappeared. The list of regular maintenance items was indeed long, however not too technical. At least compared to today’s standards. From brake adjustments to points, valve sets,  100 lube points, and much more. Every little service station did alright.  

Today many cars only need a new filter and oil every 7-10K miles.  Its got a million bells and whistles to tell you when it needs window washer fluid or air in a tire.  Yet the average car lasts 5 years in the original owners hands. We crush ‘em probably at year what? 20?  Built to last? No. Simple? Certainly not. 100 lube points? All gone along with the friendly gas jockey. 

• Like 3