Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

11-6:

After work I darn near got hit head on by a woman attempting to turn left across my lane in front of me.  Modern Brembo 6 piston brakes couldn't have stopped the car in time.  At the last second she finally saw the big green bathtub coming and she swerved back into her lane.  I gave her a dirty look.  It didn't make me feel good.  One of my coworkers rear-ended someone this morning when he blew a brake line.

I headed to the liquor store.  When I pulled into the parking lot I could see a guy eyeballing my car from another store front.  He was standing by my car when I came out with my Smirnoff.  We chatted for about 10 minutes; I told him everything about the car.  He liked it alot and said he was glad to see it being driven and used.  He was probably 30, so it was nice to see someone younger interested.  He also said he's a fan of the show Road Kill.

After that I grabbed a pizza at Domino's.

After rolling on a coat of paint in my daughter's room I made a run to Kwik Trip for some snacks.  My car makes people stare. ? Sometimes I know they're not stares of admiration, but of ignorant astonishment; "how does that old thing even run?" one might be thinking.  Ahh if they only knew.  I'm impervious to computer diagnostic hook-ups and any EMP attacks ?

Last pic: right before I pulled into the garage.  

IMG_20201106_160540142_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20201106_203715989~2.jpg

IMG_20201106_204244994~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

Funny he mentioned roadkill. I watch it with the kids and it really increases their interest in the hobby. Does get funny when they tell me to roadkill something

• Like 1

11-8:

Ran various errands today in the Meadowbrook.  Talked to a guy in the Fleet Farm parking lot for a little bit until his wife dragged him away.  My daughter's religion teacher asked about the car after class.  My most satisfying moment of the day though, was doing this colored pencil drawing.  I had to cut a little bit of it off to make it fit under the 3MB limit, but you get the picture.  This is where I want to be: just pulled up on the beach somewhere with the Meadowbrook.  Gonna go for a  walk in the warm sand....

IMG_20201108_234842112~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

11-1:

Just got to work.  Changed the oil and filter last night.  I should be set for a while.  I found my magnetic oil pan heater that I used to use for my EcoDiesel and put it on the oil pan of the Meadowbrook last night.  27F this morning.  It worked nicely.  I had heat a lot quicker. I will probably attach that every night for quicker warm-ups during the cold months.  Sure is fun to drive it to work!

IMG_20201111_075018940_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

11-11:

Kids felt couped up at home so I took 'em out for a night cruise.  Pic 1: warming up.  Heat on low with window cracked was sufficient.

Pic 2: at Kwik Trip for snacks.  

We cruised around town and eventually crossed the bridges (yep two... the old one goes over to Wisconsin and the new one comes back over to Minnesota) that span the Mississippi.  So glad I have my kids to cruise around with.  We have so much fun ?

IMG_20201111_202235183~2.jpg

IMG_20201111_203238605~2.jpg

• Like 2

Yes indeed, having the kids home and willing to go for cruises is awesome. Sadly they grow up and their time gets pulled in many directions. Relish every moment. These are the “Good old days with Dad”.

Next thing you know they’ll be on their own. You’ll look back and wonder where the heck all the time went? You’ll be out cruising, singing along to Bruce Springsteen’s Glory Days...“They’ll pass you by. In the blink of a young mans eye.”

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

11-13:

This is the bank parking lot, which I went to after work.  Then I drove about 12 miles into the country to a friend's place.  He needed help unloading a heavy tool box out of a trailer.  His dad liked my car and asked about it.  On the way home: heater cranked.  Been chilled today.  

IMG_20201113_154859021_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

11-19:

Been driving in to work all week.  Here's a shot at home for a bit...I stayed parked outside because right after supper I took off for the chiropractor, which is where I'm at now.  My feet need an adjustment ?

The Meadowbrook gets me where I need to go!

IMG_20201119_164349166~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Worden18 said:

11-19:

Been driving in to work all week.  Here's a shot at home for a bit...I stayed parked outside because right after supper I took off for the chiropractor, which is where I'm at now.  My feet need an adjustment ?

Feet adjustment?

You mean,"Toe in" and "Toe Out"?

And if you do,in and out of WHAT?

Enquiring minds,and all dat.

Edited by knuckleharley

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Feet adjustment?

You mean,"Toe in" and "Toe Out"?

And if you do,in and out of WHAT?

Enquiring minds,and all dat.

I have bones in my feet that are out of place, and they cause me great pain.  Hips are out of adjustment too, along with my right knee.  Getting better though as the chiropractor has adjusted me a couple of times now. ?

39 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I have bones in my feet that are out of place, and they cause me great pain.  Hips are out of adjustment too, along with my right knee.  Getting better though as the chiropractor has adjusted me a couple of times now. ?

I was just trying to make a little joke,but I do understand there is not one single thing funny about a hip or knee beiNg out of alignment. Both of my shoulders and my left knee sometimes just "pop" out of the socket thanks to misadventures while parachute jumping in the army. I can obviously deal with the  shoulders better than the knee,but neither are fun events.

I don't even want to imagine the pain of a hip popping out of the socket.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Worden18 said:

11-19:

I'm so glad you can enjoy your Dodge into late November! With three snowstorms in central MN already by Plymouth is tucked away in the barn... 

My Mercury is more the condition of the Meadowbrook, but really your car is nicer. Since you drive it year-round, maybe I should follow your lead?!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

11-29:

During the short work week, I hadn't driven the Meadowbrook at all.  We had some sloppy, heavy snow that's perfect for making rust holes even bigger.  Anyway, the kids and I took it out last night for a short cruise and to run some errands.  Here we are warming up.  Only needed the heater for a bit; it was near 50F yesterday.

IMG_20201128_173836526~2.jpg

• Like 1

11-29:

Here we are at Fleet Farm to grab some mouse traps.  Got two of the little devils in the past day and a half.  After driving the Meadowbrook I always kill my F-150 at least once.  The clutch in that is so unforgiving. ?

IMG_20201128_174510209~2.jpg

IMG_20201128_175600453~2.jpg

• Like 1

11-29:

Later, my daughter and I went out again.  This time we took my computer with so I could record some sounds of the Meadowbrook for an audio story I'm working on:

Engine start, acceleration, idle, horn, etc.  I'll post my recording when I finish it.  

IMG_20201128_200744764~2.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday, December 6:

Sunny and near 40F today, so I took the kids out for a ride after I completed a modest amount of work on my '48 B1D.  When filling up at Sinclair, a gentleman whom I guess to be in his 80s walked by on his way into the store and said "great car!" 

I was happy he noticed.  We went for about a 50 mile drive.  Gosh it was fun!  I cycled the heater periodically.  

One of the pictures shows the BP gas station across the street from Sinclair; out of business for quite some time now.

IMG_20201206_141500787_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20201206_135826599_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20201206_135819438_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

• Like 2

Good to see the miles adding up on your Meadowbrook. We currently have no snow on the ground either.  Its been sunny. Nice blue blazer skies. I’ve been tempted to take my Chrysler out. However with the nice days, comes cool frosty nights.  They’ve been sanding and salting the hill home. I’d rather not drive my old car on the salt. Its too bad, as otherwise its perfect cruising weather. 

• Like 1

12-11:

Drove the Meadowbrook to work yesterday; first time this week.  This morning the kids and I took off to visit my brother.  It was a nice drive.  Although my brother and I didn't go for a cruise this time, we discussed the Meadowbrook and many other cars we used to own.  

On the way home we stopped at Kwik Trip for lunch.  Also, in the other pic is a sample of a cobblestone street here in Winona.  There are a number of them left, and they seem to be holding up despite their age.  I'm not certain, but I'm assuming they were laid in the 1920s or 30s.  I'll have to research that.

IMG_20201211_131348886_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20201211_132520225_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

12-19-20:

Out with the Meadowbrook today.  Filling up at Sinclair.  Enhanced photo using some tools on my phone.  Nobody knows how those big gouges found their way onto the car.

IMG_20201219_092126234~4.jpg

• Like 1