Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

8 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Monday, 9-21-20:

Drove into work this morning.  My co-workers were happy to see the car in the parking lot.  

The kids and I cruised around for about 20 minutes.  It ran great and I had good power.  It chugged too much for my liking when using Fluid Drive.  It didn't die though, and I even took off in 3rd gear. 

IMG_20200920_193646946~2.jpg

I'm betting none of them liked seeing it parked there as much as you did.

BTW,took off in 3rd gear? You do know it's supposed to take off in second gear and shift to third gear as your speed increases,right?

Maybe somebody that knows more about fluid drive than I do,which is anyone that knows anything about them, would like to speak up?

Edited by knuckleharley

11 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Monday, 9-21-20:

Drove into work this morning.  My co-workers were happy to see the car in the parking lot.  It felt good behind the wheel.

Later on after supper I spent some time in the garage timing the car and setting the idle mixture screw, both with the vacuum guage.  I'm really close now as I was at around 18 on the guage.  

The kids and I cruised around for about 20 minutes.  It ran great and I had good power.  It chugged too much for my liking when using Fluid Drive.  It didn't die though, and I even took off in 3rd gear.  I'll play with the idle mixture screw again maybe tomorrow.  

The best part of the test cruise was mashing the gas pedal to the floor!   Why?  With the Empi carburetor it sounds like a hot rod!  Not bad at all I must say.  I can imagine dual carbs and dual exhaust.  

IMG_20200920_193646946~2.jpg

I never got my fluid drive to work well once I put dual Webbers on my 49.  It seems to drag the engine down to ~200 RPM or less then stalling it.  I just drive it like a standard 3 speed now.  I suppose I could try a fluid change but it's been in there for years and it doesn't leak so I leave it alone.  Glad you got it back on the road and running well...

9-22:

Out for a 50 mile night cruise with the kids.  Stopped at Kwik Trip for snacks.  Wouldn't be the same without snacks ?

The car likes 51mph now, but cruises great at any speed.  The empi carb is really nice, I like it a lot.  We cruised between 40 and 55.  Not much for traffic.  It was nice and cool (had my a/c vent open), and the crickets were partying in the ditches.  I forgot my tool box; didn't need it.  

Once we got back into town, we drove around and snapped a pic of this nice and spooky decorated home.  I suppose its hard to tell, but that's a creepy woman in a dress  (to the left) almost 2 stories tall!  She was flashing on and off.  This was the best cruise we've had in months.

IMG_20200922_194356179~2.jpg

IMG_20200922_194418502~2.jpg

IMG_20200922_204546390~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

Glad to see you'uns out and about in the Meadowbrook again.  I always enjoy following along with your outings.

In response to Knuckle's query...

On 9/22/2020 at 7:55 AM, knuckleharley said:

I'm betting none of them liked seeing it parked there as much as you did.

BTW,took off in 3rd gear? You do know it's supposed to take off in second gear and shift to third gear as your speed increases,right?

Maybe somebody that knows more about fluid drive than I do,which is anyone that knows anything about them, would like to speak up?

The owner's manual for our D24 indeed states under "Driving Your Car with Fluid Drive"... "for a powerful smooth start with unusually fast getaway depress the clutch pedal, shift into second gear and step on the accelerator.  Then at a speed of about 20 miles per hour, shift into high gear."  But it follows that with, "If you choose, you may also start and drive continuously in high gear, making driving extremely easy."  Some other intricacies, such as just when to use first gear, are not even in the owners manual, but I've seen them discussed in sales materials, like starting uphill or in slippery conditions.  When we first got our D24, I always drove it like a regular clutch because it was counterintuitive not to, I had learned to drive on manual transmissions.  Once I got over that, I discovered that putting around town was best accomplished in 2nd, as 3rd was too "majestic" for city or suburban driving in MI or NY.  There is a definitely slower pace here, I do about 50/50, sometimes I do a whole foray in 3rd when I'm in no hurry or to confuse passengers that don't know what Fluid Drive is, sometimes I do the 2nd/3rd thing.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Glad to see you'uns out and about in the Meadowbrook again.  I always enjoy following along with your outings.

In response to Knuckle's query...

The owner's manual for our D24 indeed states under "Driving Your Car with Fluid Drive"... "for a powerful smooth start with unusually fast getaway depress the clutch pedal, shift into second gear and step on the accelerator.  Then at a speed of about 20 miles per hour, shift into high gear."  But it follows that with, "If you choose, you may also start and drive continuously in high gear, making driving extremely easy."  Some other intricacies, such as just when to use first gear, are not even in the owners manual, but I've seen them discussed in sales materials, like starting uphill or in slippery conditions.  When we first got our D24, I always drove it like a regular clutch because it was counterintuitive not to, I had learned to drive on manual transmissions.  Once I got over that, I discovered that putting around town was best accomplished in 2nd, as 3rd was too "majestic" for city or suburban driving in MI or NY.  There is a definitely slower pace here, I do about 50/50, sometimes I do a whole foray in 3rd when I'm in no hurry or to confuse passengers that don't know what Fluid Drive is, sometimes I do the 2nd/3rd thing.   

I will never understand why the Fluid Drive Mopars weren't insanely popular in "snow country". I guess it was just because so many people back then were so used to driving manual shift transmissions in the snow,it was no big deal.

My 42 Dodge coupe spent it's entire life in Mass as a one-owner car,and was kept in a garage and only driven to the grocery store,and to church. When the woman died in 1973 the guy I bought it from bought it from her estate because he was restoring one,and wanted an all-original car as a guide to re-assembly. Since this one was bought when the 42's first came out (I have the original bill of sale) and only had 30,xxx miles on it,it was perfect for his use.

He then parked it in a field behind his house and left a door propped open so his dogs had a place to get in out of the weather. By the time I got it,it was the rust bucket you see in my icon. There is not one single piece of trim on it that isn't too rusty to get re-chromed,the floor is rusted out or so thin it is useless,and most of the lower panels need replacement.

It was so rusty the guy I hired to bring it to me called me when he got there and asked me if I really wanted it,and offered to only charge me for expenses. Since the buyer already had my money (after telling me on the phone it was "mostly surface rust,and solid".

Not only that,but the spare trim and other parts that were in the trunk and were supposed to go with the car were missing when it showed up. So was the carb and the generator. When I called the seller to ask about it,he said "Oh,yeah,my son came over here to help me move it up front so your guy could get it,and said something about how he knew where he could sell that stuff,so I guess he took it." Just like it wasn't stealing from him and cheating me.

The upside is I got it for $950 with a clear title,plus transport expenses.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

9-23:

Cruising down 5th Street in Winona.  Then, at Kwik Trip again for snacks!?

Car is running great.  The kids and I are having so much fun.  The car really does sound like a sewing machine at about 30mph?

IMG_20200923_183647478~2.jpg

IMG_20200923_202517993_MP~2.jpg

• Like 2

9-23:

Home after that satisfying cruise.  When we stopped for snacks a guy approached on his bike saying he really liked the car, and it's color.  He took some pics.

IMG_20200923_204815710~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 5:14 PM, tom'sB2B said:

I'm curious how you are fairing with the new carburetor. I read that Langdon suggests that you have a heated manifold. Is that something you incorporated with the new carburetor?

I'm stoked to see you out rolling with the family. Keep the pictures coming. Still curious about the carburetor setup.

8 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

I'm stoked to see you out rolling with the family. Keep the pictures coming. Still curious about the carburetor setup.

I've done nothing with the manifold.  I did look at the instructions again and understand what they're saying; I'm not sure if they meant this for dual carb setups only, as that is what's pictured.  My car runs great with the new carb as is, so I'm happy with that.  I guess others may have different experiences.  I'd like to hear about some of those.

9-26:

This afternoon we actually attended a car show ?

It was held on the host's enormous property outside of West Salem, WI.  There was maybe 40 cars in attendance at any given time.  All donations and proceeds from the food sales went to the local Legion.  The host matched the donations. 

There was a live band as well.  It was a lot of fun!  There was a lot of people poking their heads into my car.  I had a nice conversation with a couple that were very interested in the history of my car.  It was great fun chatting with them.  

IMG_20200926_125515713_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

9-26:

On our way out the host took our picture and thanked us for coming.  We then traveled only about 4 miles to Hidden Trails Farm for pumpkins, squash, and mums.  They had an awesome play area with great activities for the kids, and 4 (yes 4) different corn mazes.  We will likely hit the mazes next weekend.

IMG_20200926_152856939_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200926_153026717_HDR~2.jpg

• Haha 1

9-26:

They had a huge assortment of goods.  The sileage and manure smells brought back great memories from when my brother worked on a farm about 40 years ago.  I would sometimes help him feed calves.

IMG_20200926_153148416_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200926_153210135_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

• Like 2