Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

On 2/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, 51_Meadowbrook said:

John you use a 180 thermostat, do you use that year round? Do I remember you saying something about waterless coolant?

Yes, I use a 180 thermostat all year round. Since the engine rebuild (and radiator boil) I've used Evans waterless coolant.  Boiling point is 375 degrees and protects below -40C. And your radiator and engine won't corrode because there's no water in it.  Coming up on three years for my engine rebuild and the inside of my radiator still looks the same as the day I poured the coolant in.

Worden,

I have enjoyed reading your post while I have time in school to read them. I do not know if you have seen any of my posts but I am a Meadowbrook owner as well 1950 fluid drive. I purchased when I was 16 since then rebuilding most of the car besides from the body. Reading your posts about penetrol has really wanted me to apply it to my car. I live on a gravel road, did you have any problems with dust adhering to the penetrol during the drying process? I could use my parents garage to apply the product. So dust doesn't gather on the car in the old barn I park it in. But I wondering  what would be an appropriate drying time before driving to town from the gravel road without permanently adhering to my car? 

Once again, I am usually scared to take my car out, whether it be driving it in weather or driving it to school. These posts want me to take Daisy out for a ride more often! 

Thanks,

Noah 

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Noah H said:

Worden,

I have enjoyed reading your post while I have time in school to read them. I do not know if you have seen any of my posts but I am a Meadowbrook owner as well 1950 fluid drive. I purchased when I was 16 since then rebuilding most of the car besides from the body. Reading your posts about penetrol has really wanted me to apply it to my car. I live on a gravel road, did you have any problems with dust adhering to the penetrol during the drying process? I could use my parents garage to apply the product. So dust doesn't gather on the car in the old barn I park it in. But I wondering  what would be an appropriate drying time before driving to town from the gravel road without permanently adhering to my car? 

Once again, I am usually scared to take my car out, whether it be driving it in weather or driving it to school. These posts want me to take Daisy out for a ride more often! 

Thanks,

Noah 

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Really sharp looking car, Noah!

I am planning to try penetrol on my '52 Mercury this summer - my '49 Plymouth has an excellent paint job on it so I wouldn't consider applying penetrol to that car at this point. 

I'm interested to hear more suggestions about how to best apply this product. 

Share some more photos of your Meadowbrook when you have time. 

5 minutes ago, tjlarson88 said:

Really sharp looking car, Noah!

I am planning to try penetrol on my '52 Mercury this summer - my '49 Plymouth has an excellent paint job on it so I wouldn't consider applying penetrol to that car at this point. 

I'm interested to hear more suggestions about how to best apply this product. 

Share some more photos of your Meadowbrook when you have time. 

Thanks! I am definitely I am anxious to hear more information on Wordens process with penetrol. I will definitely share more picture when I have some time. These cars deserve to be driven. Reading these post have made me realize that more often than not. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noah H said:

Worden,

Thanks,

Noah 

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Noah,

Never be afraid to drive your car!  They are meant to be driven and enjoyed.  

Penetrol is unlike linseed oil.  It dries VERY quickly, and once it's dry nothing will stick to it.  You can use a cloth to wipe off dust fast and easy.  I applied the penetrol to my car with a foam paint brush.  I don't believe you could apply it with a rag in circular motions because it is very thin like water.  Although my finish is quite worn compared to when I applied it, my car has been through a lot of weather since then.  And for the $8 it cost me to brush it on, it was well worth it.  

Glad you like my thread.  I really try to encourage everyone to drive their cars.  After all, what are you saving it for?  Drive it and love it! I will check out your posts.  Penetrol should be dry in as little as an hour or two.  But one could leave it overnight just to be safe.

• Like 1

Once the weather starts warming up around here, I will start to apply it. The paint is getting faded and I have used a buffer before and seems like it takes the paint right off with the most gentlest of hands. This seems like a more gentle process. I will update with pictures as well. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2-22-20:

Drove recyclables down and picked up my daughter from a sleepover.  Pic is on the gravel road to her friend's house.  Got lots of waves from snowmobilers ?

IMG_20200222_103444995_HDR~2.jpg

2-23-20:

Went out for a cruise with the kids.  40F and sunny today.  Gosh that was nice!  We stopped at the market for some snacks and when we came out a trucker stood admiring the Meadowbrook.  His name is Karl and he is from Quebec City in Canada. He said next stop was North Dakota to drop off some things and then to Portland Oregon, and then California to pick some stuff up and come back this way.  He asked me a lot of questions about the Meadowbrook, including if I had to put leaded gas in it.  We chatted for about 15 minutes.  It was a good visit and he was a nice fellow.

Pic 2: at the supermarket for a few groceries and then home.  The sun was going down by this point and it was cooling off.  We had the heater on low to stay toasty.

IMG_20200223_170857135_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200223_175835921~2.jpg

• Like 4

Love the Pics. Was a pretty nice couple days this weekend so I decided to try the penetrol method. I was very impressed with the results. Very shiny.  When it dried I could see my brush marks from the foam brush I used to apply it with. Was this normal for you? Or did I apply the product the wrong way? The product is dry. I will try and post some pictures tonight. 

To edit to that, I applied the product to heavy.  Should I leave it the way it is? Or is there a remover that will remove the product. I am thinking I should leave it the way it is so I do not risk any harm to the paint. but if there is a safe way to remove it and start over, that could be beneficial.  It was a bad mistake, But I guess we all make them some point in life. 

Edited by Noah H
More info

16 hours ago, Worden18 said:

2-23-20:

Went out for a cruise with the kids.  40F and sunny today.  Gosh that was nice!  We stopped at the market for some snacks and when we came out a trucker stood admiring the Meadowbrook.  His name is Karl and he is from Quebec City in Canada. He said next stop was North Dakota to drop off some things and then to Portland Oregon, and then California to pick some stuff up and come back this way.  He asked me a lot of questions about the Meadowbrook, including if I had to put leaded gas in it.  We chatted for about 15 minutes.  It was a good visit and he was a nice fellow.

Pic 2: at the supermarket for a few groceries and then home.  The sun was going down by this point and it was cooling off.  We had the heater on low to stay toasty.

IMG_20200223_170857135_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200223_175835921~2.jpg

wow smal world!!  Karl as a familliar face..  I'm prety sure I meet him a while ago.. I'm a retired military (20yrs) and retired from truck driving also a 20yrs.  I'm also from Québec, Canada,,  small world!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noah H said:

Love the Pics. Was a pretty nice couple days this weekend so I decided to try the penetrol method. I was very impressed with the results. Very shiny.  When it dried I could see my brush marks from the foam brush I used to apply it with. Was this normal for you? Or did I apply the product the wrong way? The product is dry. I will try and post some pictures tonight. 

To edit to that, I applied the product to heavy.  Should I leave it the way it is? Or is there a remover that will remove the product. I am thinking I should leave it the way it is so I do not risk any harm to the paint. but if there is a safe way to remove it and start over, that could be beneficial.  It was a bad mistake, But I guess we all make them some point in life. 

I forgot to mention apply it thin.  Yes I can see brush strokes in mine too.  I'll be okay.  Don't remove it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lepic56 said:

wow smal world!!  Karl as a familliar face..  I'm prety sure I meet him a while ago.. I'm a retired military (20yrs) and retired from truck driving also a 20yrs.  I'm also from Québec, Canada,,  small world!!

Wow!  What a small world!!

• Haha 1

2-28-20:

Back home again; safe but dirty!  I feel very privileged to be able to fire up the Meadowbrook whenever I feel like it and go for a drive.  It's something I truly cherish.  I love the sound of the engine, the smell of the cabin, the big steering wheel, and the curve of the hood as I look out over it.  ?

IMG_20200228_191426474~2.jpg

• Like 3

I Concur,  regarding the view looking over the big hood.

Its just neat how these old cars attract strangers who want to talk. Its fun chatting with and meeting new people. Makes for a fun time. That does not happen when I drive a newer car. Does anyone care about my wife’s 2016 Honda when I drive it? Nope. Never had 1 person enquire about it. Lol. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

HI Worden18

because of your post that I'M following,, I planning to do the same thing next winter up here in quebec,,  living the life in the 1950's during the winter and post it here and youtube..  I have a 1951 dodge .. but i will buy an other one not completely restore but in great shape, an original..  sending the summer to get it ready for the long & cold winter up here,, 

So far I have 2 cars in my sight,,  see pics,,  a 1953 Dodge Coronet with a hemi v-8  and 1949 Plymouth business coupe 2 doors,, don,t know wicj one yet.. ??

any idea?? 

dodge v8.jpg

87454651_214486206403915_6319465723710144512_o.jpg

7 hours ago, lepic56 said:

HI Worden18

because of your post that I'M following,, I planning to do the same thing next winter up here in quebec,,  living the life in the 1950's during the winter and post it here and youtube..  I have a 1951 dodge .. but i will buy an other one not completely restore but in great shape, an original..  sending the summer to get it ready for the long & cold winter up here,, 

So far I have 2 cars in my sight,,  see pics,,  a 1953 Dodge Coronet with a hemi v-8  and 1949 Plymouth business coupe 2 doors,, don,t know wicj one yet.. ??

any idea?? 

dodge v8.jpg

87454651_214486206403915_6319465723710144512_o.jpg

Wow! That's a tough choice.  You may have to flip a coin to decide.  I love them both!  Glad to hear that you're going to do some winter driving!!?

• Thanks 1

2-29-20:

8:45pm.  Out for a night drive with the kids.  We stopped at my friend's Sinclair gas station for snacks.  It's cold and windy.  Thank goodness for the heater.  The sound of the engine at 48mph put us all at ease.  My son laid down in the back seat and it was lights out ?

The truckers in the background were asleep while the Sinclair dino looked on...

IMG_20200229_211033613~2.jpg

• Like 1

2-29-20:

Nothing like a Saturday night cruise.  Drove through a few small towns and got the usual "looks" from people standing outside the bars smoking as we whispered by.  They are now arguing over what kind of car they thought they saw?

Here we are back at home with the moon and flag in the background.

IMG_20200229_222552778~2.jpg

• Like 1

Worden.......your mention of the Sinclair gas station reminded me of the 1936 Chev Panel Delivery my brother bought in the early 70's....it was the delivery van for the Sinclair Oil distributor here in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia and when purchased came with a pile of Sinclair advertising material, oil cans and Sinclair stuff.....including the original Sinclair signage on the side of the van......"Sinclair Oil, Mellowed 80 million years".........we were both young and silly back then, me maybe 21, Bruce 19......and yep, thats a Robert Crumb "Keep On Truckin"" artwork blown up on the tailgate..........funny thing is that neither of us nor our parents nor friends had ever heard of Sinclair Oil before the truck purchase......Bruce kept the van for about 15 yrs and eventually sold it and we have no idea what ever happened to it............regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas 

img010.jpg

img011.jpg

• Like 2