Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

8-25-19:

My car got more attention than any of the shiny cars around me. I had three separate gentleman in their 70s approach me and ask a lot of questions about the car.  Each one of them said that their dad had a Meadowbrook or Coronet like mine.  One said that his dad bought the car for the specific purpose of hauling his coon dogs around to go hunting! That's the only thing he used the car for.  How weird is that?!

IMG_20190825_151825138_HDR~2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sept. 7, 2019:

Finally got the headlight rings back on the car.  I lost one on the way to work this past winter when it was -30F.  I think I know why it fell off.  There never was a bottom screw because there was never a hole (or tapped hole) for the driver's side ring for a standard screw, or a machine screw, whatever it is supposed to be.  Weird, right?  Look at my pics.  I must've hit a bump and the ring popped up out of the tab-slot on top and flew off. 

Pic #1: driver's side lower mount...no hole at all.

Pic #2: passenger side lower mount.  Hole for the screw.  

IMG_20190907_191747170_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190907_191732857~2.jpg

9-7-19:

I had some extra rings that came with a large number of parts I got with my 48 B-1-D.  I used 2 rings from that lot and set aside the one original ring that was still on the Meadowbrook.  The original one is much shinier than either of these two. 

My son is showing you guys one of the rings he is going to mount, and the tools we needed to get a hole in there to mount the ring.  Center punch, center drill, drill, hammer, and machine screw.  I opted not to tap the hole because #1 there's no meat to it at all, and #2 I didn't have the right size tap on hand.  The machine screws snugged up nicely.  The hole(s) were about .025 smaller than the body of the screws.  We used one on the passenger side as well.

IMG_20190907_200020044~2.jpg

IMG_20190907_192509585~2.jpg

9-7-19:

The tab mount on the ring was bent up likely from someone being careless when removing it.  I used a flat headed punch and hammered it straight on my anvil.  It mounted nicely after that.

IMG_20190907_200819700~2.jpg

IMG_20190907_201154187~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

9-7-19:

After the rings I changed the oil and filter, adjusted the front brakes, tightened the oil pan and valve cover bolts, installed a new clutch pedal return spring, tightened up the carb and screws on all the hoses.  It ain't pretty under the hood or anywhere else, but it sure cruises nice.  I used Rotella 15W-40.

IMG_20190907_220504268~2.jpg

IMG_20190907_224731658~2.jpg

9-7-19:

I took it on a 25 mile round trip at 11pm.  My son had long since zonked out!  It was really nice to cruise in the Meadowbrook.  It sure gave me the peace I was looking for ?

IMG_20190907_225123183~2.jpg

IMG_20190907_230345436~2.jpg

The engine bay suits the car just fine. The car is  running, revived survivor that is loved and driven regularly.

I am intrigued by your positive ground battery cable. It comes off the battery, takes a hard right and appears to maybe mount on the top of your cylinder head? Is that correct?

25 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

The engine bay suits the car just fine. The car is  running, revived survivor that is loved and driven regularly.

I am intrigued by your positive ground battery cable. It comes off the battery, takes a hard right and appears to maybe mount on the top of your cylinder head? Is that correct?

You're right, the battery cable mounts on top of the head.  It was like that when I bought it, I guess I never thought any different of it.  I did change both cables out to the 00 type.  Now I'm wondering where everyone else has their cable mounted?

See my '53 265 engine here. Positive cable goes to the LF corner of my block. Not that it matters much, the differences just caught my attention.

Battery Cable.JPG

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I don’t have a picture for you but mine goes to the bolt directly behind the thermostat.housing.

Edited by 51_Meadowbrook
Had to put a . between thermostat and housing to avoid it turning into a link.
  • Like 1

9-10-19:

Kids and I cruised (or creeped as I usually say?) around town for about an hour.  2nd gear, no clutch at stop signs.  Lots of stares and waves as always.  We have so much fun just putzing around!  My son asked me if I had the only Meadowbrook left in the country. ?

I told him there were likely hundreds, maybe even a couple thousand.  He asked why we never see any around?  I told him we have the only one around here.  ? He seemed satisfied with that.  

Pics when I was putting it away:

IMG_20190910_193621608~2.jpg

IMG_20190910_193632584~2.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, Worden18 said:

You're right, the battery cable mounts on top of the head.  It was like that when I bought it, I guess I never thought any different of it.  I did change both cables out to the 00 type.  Now I'm wondering where everyone else has their cable mounted?

The Dodge ground cable does mount to a head bolt..... drivers side second head bolt back from front...as shown...

Cable ground Head Bolt Flathead MoPar.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I thoroughly enjoy the very casual, unassuming photos of your fun with that car. I am days away from driving my suburban, then I will drive it everywhere like you do, until I find a buyer.  My body just seems to have given up, so everything is slow motion. Cool weather is a great help, back down to high 80’s at 4::00 pm. Love to see your son so involved also. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Thanks 1

The rear bolt that mounts the generator bracket to the motor on our D24 has a stud where the positive cable is attached to the engine.  Cable is routed under the generator (could go either way, but under is tidier to me).  

• Like 2

9-14-19:

Mississippi Mayhem! in West Salem, WI the whole weekend.  Cars, bikes, vintage campers, pin-up contest, swap meet, drag races, burn out contest, food vendors, etc.  Nothing judged.  Pre- '64 separate from all other cars.  Left home about 11am and got home around 8:30pm.  Wish I could've towed a vintage camper behind the Meadowbrook and stayed there the entire weekend.  

Pic: Got the stroller and lawn chairs packed.  Tool box was in there too?

IMG_20190914_105831527~2.jpg

Mayhem:

All settled in to our spot.  It rained all the way there, but settled down after about half an hour and then turned sunny.  There were a number of unique Mopars, but we had the only Meadowbrook ?

IMG_20190914_131339532_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190914_130750100_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

Mayhem:

One guy had this awesome GM bus with a diesel engine.  He let us sit in it.  What a cool thing to drive to the event!  It still had a change/coin thingy up by the driver, and he could cycle the destination banner on the front above the windshield.

IMG_20190914_142809005_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190914_170442558_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190914_170810478~2.jpg

• Like 1