Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Thurs. Aug.17

Spring Valley, Mn A&W Drive-In hosted their annual cruise night.  http://awesomeawdrivein.com/cruisin/

I'll have to say there was an excellent turn out, and a lot of unique cars, not just your typical Rustangs and Camaros.  After getting some ice cream, I took a few pics of some favorites.

I want this Pilothouse Dodge!  Not sure of the year; anyone know?

Spring_Valley_A&W_Aug._17_(13).JPG

I thought this VW camper bus was really cool.  The side tailgate on the passenger side was open.  Looked more like a cargo area to me without a mattress.  Unique, anyway.

Spring Valley A&W Aug. 17 (19).JPG

Edited by Worden18

This old Nash had the passenger front seat folded down to demonstrate "the bed".  

My wife had no idea a car had this option.  I had to laugh, but could understand if you've never seen it before. :D

Spring_Valley_A&W_Aug._17_(4).JPG

Here's a shot from the area where you order via the speaker and wait for the carhop to hang the tray on your window.  Always loved doing that.  Wife and kids had never seen that before, so we plan on going back sometime when there isn't 100 cars there LOL.

Spring_Valley_A&W_Aug._17_(9).JPG

Aug. 18:

Today I tried something a little different on the Meadowbrook.  I've watched a few videos on people protecting or shining up their cars with products other than wax or a clear coat.  I'm too lazy to wax and too cheap to clear coat.  I know some have used linseed oil and came out with decent (but temporary results).  I decided to try this Penetrol, which is used to help hide brush marks when mixed with paint.  Instead of rubbing it on with a rag like linseed oil, you can brush it on, which is easier for a lazy *@!#& like me.  I used a foam brush, but I only had a little one on hand, so it took me a while.  I'll try to finish up the car this weekend.  Please spare me the "you can't polish a turd" remarks.  I can't afford a $5K paint job and wouldn't do it even if I had the money.  I guess this product is supposed to last quite a bit longer than linseed oil, but I suppose it will vary depending on how much sun and rain the car is exposed to.

Penetrol (9).JPG

Front fender before and after.  Yes, the product is very wet in the picture.  I went out to the garage a few hours after putting it on, and it still had a nice sheen and was a bit tacky yet.  I'll get some pictures of it totally dry when it reaches that point.

Penetrol (7).JPG

Penetrol (8).JPG

• Like 1

Another shot of the driver's front fender after application.  The stuff isn't super thick, but its not really that thin, either.  Slides on easy with the foam brush.

Penetrol_(10).JPG

I just finished a catch-up read on your car. Yes, an old car with original paint turns heads. My '53 Suburban is very close to driver status, not show time status, but driver. The front  bumper has this naval base sticker. Mares Island north of Oakland, CA. Once road worthy I plan on driving to their historical museum to see if we can locate the sailor who drove it to work. The poor pic is mine the good pic is to show a good one. Maybe some the owner became an Admiral and would like to buy it back! 

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Just now, pflaming said:

I just finished a catch-up read on your car. Yes, an old car with original paint turns heads. My '53 Suburban is very close to driver status, not show time status, but driver. The front  bumper has this naval base sticker. Mares Island north of Oakland, CA. Once raid worthy I plan on driving to their historical museum to see if we can locate the sailor who drove it to work. The poor pic is mine the good pic is to show a good one. 

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

Very, very interesting.  I like to see things like this.  Please post details when you get to that point!

4 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Hey, what you doing up at this hour?

I'm usually up 'til 2 or 3, what's your excuse? :D  

No good reason I guess.  I get my "me" time this late only....

• Like 1

Same here, no one bothers me at this hour. Good research and planning time. Got an  engine to restart tomorrow. I had one dead cylinder after a valve job. Darn if I didn't switch two valves in that cylinder, so head back on in the morning torque and . . . .

IMG_1019.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Thurs. Aug.17

Spring Valley, Mn A&W Drive-In hosted their annual cruise night.  http://awesomeawdrivein.com/cruisin/

I'll have to say there was an excellent turn out, and a lot of unique cars, not just your typical Rustangs and Camaros.  After getting some ice cream, I took a few pics of some favorites.

I want this Pilothouse Dodge!  Not sure of the year; anyone know?

Spring_Valley_A&W_Aug._17_(13).JPG

Likely a '48 or '49. Could also be a '50. Nice truck.