Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Last Sunday we visited the Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine near La Crosse, WI.  Well, we actually went to afternoon mass there.  The week before we attended an "organ" recital there to listen to a woman play their 54 rank organ which was built in 2008 by the Noack Organ Company of Georgetown, Massachusetts.  The thing is so powerful it actually brought me to tears.  Never had I heard anything like that before.  Anyway, first pic is just one section of the outside of the shrine. 

Our Lady of Guadalupe (2).jpg

When I pulled into this parking space, there were cars on both sides of the open space.  I didn't have to back up and get straight and then pull in, I made it into the space in one try.  I think the Meadowbrook has a better turning radius than either of our newer cars; no kidding.

Our Lady of Guadalupe (1).jpg

I was under the car yesterday to lube the speedo cable and adjust the parking brake, so I took a quick pic of the new exhaust.  When I get it back up on my friend's hoist I'll be able to shoot the entire thing.  At least you get the idea here.

exhaust.jpg

Today we drove to a neighboring town to eat at Elsie's Kitchen (Mom and Pop diner).  When I was walking in, a guy was walking out and he said "nice Dodge you have there."  He had seen it through the window.  He wanted to know what year it was.

When we finished eating my family and I were getting into the car and a woman was crossing the street and she stopped me.  She said "I love your car!"  Well, we started talking and I found out she lives in Houston, MN (we live 4 miles out of town) and she and her husband own a '70 Cuda that they are restoring.  I was dumbfounded when she complained that people don't drive their old cars, and that she notices cars in open garages and the like all over the place; so she was happy that we were driving ours.  I told her I don't believe in trailer queens and we will drive it most every day until the wheels fall off.  I also gave her a little background on the car and showed her the original keys and medallion as well.  So we exchanged phone numbers and she suggested we get together for cruises and try to get some other people involved as well.  I happily agreed.  It was a good day :D

Fun_times_in_June_2017_(2).jpg

• Like 1

Here's a pic after we had arrived back home.  Wife, kids, and the 2 dogs were asleep.  I had to wake everyone.  The sound of the car just lulls everyone and knocks them out, especially at 40mph! :P

Fun times in June 2017 small size pic.jpg

Tomorrow (well today actually since its past midnight and I'm still up) there is a car show in Spring Grove, MN for their Homecoming Days, which is a multi-day event scheduled only every 10 years.  We might attend that.  If we do, I'll have more pics and more stories for sure....

Fun times in June 2017 smaller pic number 2.jpg

• Like 1

I really enjoy reading about your trips. I have my own memories of a certain 51 Dodge and hearing your stories really come alive. I understand your feelings and emotions that you have riding in your own little piece of history. Understand that everyone that ever drove that car had the exact same impressions and feelings. I guess I'm just thrilled that you are appreciating your ownership. I am too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

I really enjoy reading about your trips. I have my own memories of a certain 51 Dodge and hearing your stories really come alive. I understand your feelings and emotions that you have riding in your own little piece of history. Understand that everyone that ever drove that car had the exact same impressions and feelings. I guess I'm just thrilled that you are appreciating your ownership. I am too.

Thanks for the comments Niel.  Makes me happy when people feel good after reading through my posts.  Just trying to have fun.  Even if we take the car on the most boring non-adventure, I enjoy driving it no matter what, and it seems like the car just makes my day that much better when I get to travel in it.  

Friday night we went to the Mighty Howard County Fair in Cresco, IA, and I will report that we didn't take the Meadowbrook.  I'm having some funky problems with the tail lights when the headlights are on, so I didn't feel comfortable driving it after dark.  I'll have to look into the wiring soon.  I suppose it could be as simple as a bad ground.

Today we started out at a car show in Spring Grove, MN.  Lots of variety there, including a very original 1912 Ford Model T that was sold new in Spring Grove and still resides just 20 miles away.  I learned a lot from the gentleman that owns it; he was kind enough to explain a lot of the details on it.  Still is mostly original except it was painted about 60 or 70 years ago LOL.   The guy had a nice album of pictures of the car from various times of its life including when it was unloaded from the train (somewhat disassembled) back in 1912 and delivered to the dealer.

1912 Model T.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a cool pic I wanted to share with you guys.  This is the trunk of a 55 Packard Clipper.  The guy had some period luggage in there.  Thought it was worth snapping a photo. :)

Packard trunk.jpg

Here's one you'll never see again.  58 Plymouth Fury with a functional camper mounted on it.  They actually cut the trunk lid to fit the back part of the camper in there.  It has a working stove in it and a mattress up top.  These folks live about 15 miles from me.  Their son had the car for sale last fall and I almost bought it (didn't have the camper on it then), but I was saving money to fix up my Meadowbrook so I passed.  It needed brakes and the rear main was leaking so I passed.  But for the $900 he was asking it didn't seem a terrible deal.  His old man fixed the brakes and oil leak and then put the camper on it.  They actually use it!

spring_grove_car_show_June_24_2017_(14).jpg

• Haha 1

Can you spot the Meadowbrook?  At times when I was near my car and someone was looking at it, I took the opportunity to show that person the original keys.  People always like to see the keys since you really don't run across those very often.

spring_grove_car_show_June_24_2017_(16).jpg

Edited by Worden18

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

my eyes wishes it had not seen it now.......:eek:

Don't you know it!  It sat for a year in the damn weeds, which is where I thought it would die for sure.  At least its back on the road again even if it is an abomination :P

My car sat between a 40 Chevy (ratted out) and a 55 Ford Fairlane which ended up winning best in its class (1950-59).   A really nice 66 GTO won best of show.  Lots of Mopars I would've picked first :D

Meadowbrook amongst the other classics.jpg

• Like 1

This guy came late and then took off before I made it over to his car.  I got close enough as he was pulling out of the lot to see it was a Dodge Bros, but that's about it.  Certainly was from the 20s.  Wish I would've been able to ask about it.

spring_grove_car_show_June_24_2017_(1).jpg

After the car show we drove down to Burr Oak, IA to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum.  I spotted this ('55?) Desoto up on blocks on somebody's property.  

Old Desoto in Burr Oak June 2017.jpg

2 hours ago, Worden18 said:

After the car show we drove down to Burr Oak, IA to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum.  I spotted this ('55?) Desoto up on blocks on somebody's property.  

Old Desoto in Burr Oak June 2017.jpg

1956 first year they got rid of the toothy grill

• Like 1