Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

18 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Remember just before these models cars only had locks on the pass side because you were expected to enter and exit curbside. I would guess the same reasoning applies to this. 

Exactly, my 49 has the key lock on the passenger side only.  My 47 has it on both doors, explain that one????

Adam

I'd hesitate about installing a driver's-side courtesy light switch for the front door because the procedure involves moving the VIN plate.  It may not have been a big deal when these cars were new, but nowadays things are different and you could get into trouble for it.

19 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

I'd hesitate about installing a driver's-side courtesy light switch for the front door because the procedure involves moving the VIN plate.  It may not have been a big deal when these cars were new, but nowadays things are different and you could get into trouble for it.

Well that is the factory accessory add-on and factory instructions.

ID plates were screwed on and not a riveted type.

Each to their own. Make a copy of the posted page and keep in the glove box?

DJ

3 hours ago, mmcdowel said:

I'm getting a big kick out of your adventures in the Meadowbrook.  I enjoy mine very much too and am using you as an example to get it out more than I do.  

Interesting too that mine likes around 48 mph ......it will go 55 no prob, but when you aren't looking she will slow back down to 48.  

50dodge.jpg

My philosophy is drive it because you ain't takin' it with ya.  If you outlast the car then go buy another one 

Tonight my family and I were really itching to go for a long drive.  We did just that, putting 100 miles on the car.  We even dipped into Iowa for a bit.  Car ran perfect; such a joy to drive.  All negative thoughts just roll right off me when we are cruising along.  

Around 9pm all of us were suddenly starving so we stopped at a local pizza joint to grab something to eat.  It was our first time there even though we had moved to the area last September.  So I started talking to the owner and she asked about the Meadowbrook because she spotted it out the window.  I gave her the whole story on it.  She liked it a lot.  Even better, we LOVED the pizza she made.  We took it home as a carry out and we were damn near fighting each other for the first slice LOL.  Perfect ending to a fun night of cruising; a belly full of some really awesome pizza :)

Here's some pics outside of the pizza joint around 9pm:

At Sub Zero Pizza Place (1).jpg

• Like 1

These cars were meant to drive and enjoy fellas, and I don't mean twice a year to some summer car shows.   You ain't takin' it with ya, so drive it and be happy :)

At Sub Zero Pizza Place (3).jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Worden18 said:

These cars were meant to drive and enjoy fellas, and I don't mean twice a year to some summer car shows.   You ain't takin' it with ya, so drive it and be happy :)

At Sub Zero Pizza Place (3).jpg

Totally agree with you, I take mine everywhere I can when I'm not working on it.  I don't want a garage queen.

I've only had mine for about four months though . . . right now weather is in the 80's, might change my mind once the Kansas summer heat gets here

• Like 1

Let us know how it does in hot weather. I am curious to know if it stalls when sitting in traffic for long because of fuel boiling in carb.

• Like 1

Tonight after some yard work we drove the Meadowbrook over to a neighboring town so the kids could play at the park.  Wifey and I walked the dogs.  This time I drove between 50 and 55mph.  Runs just as smooth at those speeds.  Still averaging about 17mpg; but I remember before the engine was rebuilt at 55mph I was averaging about 20mpg, and at 40-45 about 17mpg.  So I'll have to try a tank on 55mph alone to see what the mileage comes out as.  I suppose too the engine isn't really broken in yet; might take a couple thousand more miles to loosen up and for mileage to improve.  Not really sure.  Gonna keep racking up the miles though so I find out :D

Here's a highway pic with the moon directly ahead:

moonlit cruise.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 11:39 AM, meadowbrook said:

Let us know how it does in hot weather. I am curious to know if it stalls when sitting in traffic for long because of fuel boiling in carb.

Wanted to let you know about today's adventure.  We took the car to a friend's daughter's graduation party, round trip 135 miles....in the 96 degree heat.  I figured no better time than today to test it out in the hot weather.  Minnesota heat is very muggy, and the sun felt like it was a foot from my face.  All roads we traveled I drove at 55-60mph, including the interstate (which was most of the 135 miles).  

The car ran at or below 180 degrees with the exception of:

-A couple of very long uphill lengths of road where the engine had to work harder.  If I had to guess by looking at the stock temp guage, at no time was it over 195 degrees for sure, and really probably not over 190 when climbing these grades.

-Two very long road construction stop lights.  The lights took FOREVER.  I let the car idle in first gear with the clutch pedal pushed in (so maybe 600-700rpms?) and the car did warm up to that 190-195 spot and stopped right there....at no time did I rev up the engine in hopes that it wouldn't die, etc.  I just let it ride to see what would happen.  

I have to say I was very impressed.  I won't be leery of driving it in the heat again (gonna be in the 90s here for a few days yet).  The car seems to be breathing and staying cool just fine.  I'm happy with that Evans Waterless Coolant.   I'm using the stock radiator which had been boiled out and repaired.

Once I fill the car with gas again I'll report back with MPG results as this tank of gas has been at 55mph for the most part.   At 40-45mph I was averaging 17mpg.

Before the engine rebuild I was getting much better mileage at 55 than at 40-45, which kind of surprised me :)

Tonight we drove the Meadowbrook to Winona, MN for the classic car gathering at the Lakeview Drive-in.  After people got some food in their stomachs they started wandering around and looking over the cars.  I spent the better part of an hour talking to about 6 or 7 guys who inquired about my car.  Damn it was fun!  I think I inspired a guy who has been wanting to pull the motor out of his 50 Plymouth and just can't quite get going on it.  After showing him all the things I had done to my car I think it helped his psyche a bit :D

Anyway here's some pics of other cars and trucks that were there:

Mine first :)

Lakeview_drive_in_June_14_2017_(3).jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

I have a pic of a Superbird as well and can't get the damn thing to load because the file is over 3MB <_<  not sure how to convert the file to make it smaller....

Taught my wife how to drive the car tonight.  She likes to be the passenger, but I told her that in case of an emergency she has to know how to drive it.  What better car to learn the clutch than an old Dodge with Fluid Drive!  You have to try pretty hard to kill the engine.  She did fine.  40mph tops, though :D

Wifey driving (2).jpg

• Like 3

You will find that the engine mellows out after about 1500 miles.  The process is so gradual you hardly notice it until you recall your first drive.

You are making a lot more heat until the rings are fully seated . That uses more fuel.   Maybe a minor timing adjustment will restore your mileage.

• Like 2

Today we attended the Steamboat Days Car Show in Winona, MN.   Spent a lot of time looking at other cars, which there were maybe 300 or so.  What I enjoyed the most was when people stopped to look at my car when I happened to be close by.  I chatted with dozens of people over the course of the day.  I imagine I would've lost my voice had I just stayed by my car the whole time.  I was pleasantly surprised at how many people looked at my car and asked questions.  I'm always happy to talk about it :D

Steamboat_Days_Car_Show_2017_(5).jpg