Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Hey fellas got my car running again (it was a faulty fuel pump) and I wanted to start a new thread and leave my engine rebuild thread as something separate.  In this thread I'm going to post pics of me and my family's trips/shows/gatherings and anything else fun that we do with the car.  

Tonight we went out for a cruise over to a neighboring town.  It was sunny and 70s here today with hardly a cloud.  Perfect evening for a drive.  Mostly I drove just 40mph because that's what felt good :)

Its so much fun to drive the old Dodge; our new cars simply have no soul.  There's a bunch of shows and gatherings coming up soon around here, we hope to hit all of them.  

Here's some pics from today:

I guess only the first pic is from us being out and about.  The other 3 are when we got back home LOL.  The back roads around here are really fun, but you have to watch out for deer!

over_by_Spring_Grove.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I have a whole new fuel system now, including a brand new gas tank.

Also just FYI I'm running Evans waterless coolant.  So far so good with it; it runs 180 degrees or less and is guaranteed the life of the car without ever changing it because it will not corrode or break down...

at home by woodshed.jpg

• Like 2

For tonight I parked it in the woodshed, but will likely put it in the garage near my tools tomorrow.  The cement in my woodshed is nicer though :D

parked inside woodshed.jpg

• Like 1

A friend helped me adjust the clutch yesterday, now I see how easy that is.  She's right where it should be.  I exercised the Fluid Drive a few times on our ride.  I love how it idles down to about 400-450rpm when you don't bother to push in the clutch...

Goodnight Meadowbrook....:P

rear view inside woodshed.jpg

• Like 3

Very curious to see how the Evans coolant works long-term, never heard of this stuff before.  My dad has been fighting overheating problems in his 1967 GTO forever, I'm going to let him know about this.

• Like 1

Let me know if any of those shows bring you closer to the twin cities! Be fun to meet up. I just got my 48 out of storage. About a month later than normal this year....

• Like 2

I like it.. Original paint older cars are hard to find around here. Heck, ANY car over 20 years old is hard to find. The high scrap prices a few years back cleaned out almost all the back yards, barns, and fencerows. The ones that are left hardly ever see the light of day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mortimer452 said:

Very curious to see how the Evans coolant works long-term, never heard of this stuff before.  My dad has been fighting overheating problems in his 1967 GTO forever, I'm going to let him know about this.

I hadn't heard of it either, but I watch a lot of "Jay Leno's Garage" on YouTube and discovered it there.  He's been using it for 15+ years, so its been around for a while.  The company still hasn't been able to get car manufacturers to use this coolant on cars straight from the factory.  Could be the price.  Its $45 a gallon.  But ask yourself this: at $7-$10 a gallon for regular 50/50 premix antifreeze are you really saving any money if you flush your system out every couple of years like you're supposed to?  And if you DON'T flush your system what does your radiator look like inside after 5 years or more?  The same corrosion is happening inside your engine block as well.  This Evans coolant has NO water, so it won't cause any corrosion and you never have to change it.  Need to change a faulty thermostat at some point?  Drain the coolant into a clean pan, change your thermostat and then dump the coolant right back in.  Guaranteed for the life of the engine.  

If you have an engine that is not rebuilt (and isn't totally clean is what I'm getting at) you have to use their flushing solution before you add their coolant.  They only guarantee it if your old antifreeze is less than 3% mixed with their coolant.  

Like I said, so far so good with this coolant.  We plan on driving the car everywhere we go this summer.  I'm expecting to put 5,000 miles on it.  I'll keep everyone updated....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Let me know if any of those shows bring you closer to the twin cities! Be fun to meet up. I just got my 48 out of storage. About a month later than normal this year....

I had originally planned on going to Mopars in the Park this Saturday but I've decided to cancel.  My exhaust is cobbled together and not sturdy at all, and with just 350 miles on the car after the rebuild I don't feel confident making the 2.5 hour one way trip to Farmington.  Still working out a few bugs. We're going to stay closer to home for a while yet.  Still thinking about Back to the 50s later this month.  We shall see.  I'd love to meet up with you and check out your car and tell you all about mine.  Maybe we can make this happen at some point, that's what its all about :)

Next Tuesday I have an exhaust appointment; pretty excited about that.

• Like 2

I beleive the car companies don't want the added warranty liability involved should you spring a pressurized spraying leak given the already higher operating temp and pressures to 20 lbs and up.....lots of papers written on this.  Yeah yeah gycol will burn also...  Evans in a system like these older non pressureized rads is less likely to emit an atomized spray that is needed to truly make it surface temp combustible on the average car.  They simply just puke....

The properties of this stuff also prevent its use at most all venues of auto racing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MackTheFinger said:

I like it.. Original paint older cars are hard to find around here. Heck, ANY car over 20 years old is hard to find. The high scrap prices a few years back cleaned out almost all the back yards, barns, and fencerows. The ones that are left hardly ever see the light of day.

Its really fun for me how much attention my car really attracts.  Of course people wave at me because they see an old car coming toward them on the highway.  But the people who talk to me at gas stations, etc. can tell that the car is basically untouched, and when you see that you expect a story of some sort.  There's something intriguing about a car with the original paint and interior.  I guess I can't say my car is totally untouched with its rebuilt engine and modern radials on it, but it still is largely original.  

For those of you who haven't seen some of my other posts, the car was purchased by Winona, MN native Ray Sebo (deceased 1996) new at Chrysler Seifert Baldwin Motors in Winona, MN.  Mr. Sebo was a professor at Winona State University; remnants of his staff parking sticker are still in the passenger side rear window of the car.  Mr. Sebo's initials are stamped on the back of the original Dodge emblem that came with the original keys, and his address is scribed on the back of one of those keys.  I don't know when he sold the car, but I'm the 4th owner, and it largely sat from 1973 until 2016 with less than 1,000 miles put on it, which didn't do it any good mechanically.  But as you know I've been fixing things as I go including brakes, engine rebuild, clutch, etc.  

One thing I wanted to do here in the coming weeks is track down some of Mr. Sebo's relatives (there's plenty of Sebos in the Winona area) and see if any of them remember the car or even have old pictures or documents on it.  I think I may have found one of Mr. Sebos sons whom is in his 70s now.  I just need to make that phone call.  Maybe they would be happy to see the car is still going and would be willing to let me scan some pictures if they had any from BITD.  I'll keep you guys updated on that.

Altura_Centennial_Park_(1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good part of the fun of keeping an old car on the road is the stories, finding old pictures, and small things associated with the car.

Those keys are really nice, I have the extra set that the original owner never used for my 1976 Wartburg. 

The finish on your Dodge says to me, "Hey, I'm still here doing my job, better than most.".

• Like 2

This evening's adventures brought us to the park at a neighboring town where we could walk our boxers and the kids could have fun at the playground.  

I met up with a friend of mine who just picked up a 65 Plymouth Fury station wagon; original paint (non original 383; had a wideblock from the factory) torque flight tranny, 3.23 posi rear end.  He's having fun with it so far.  Its his first Mopar.  I'll have to say that thing is just super cool!  It even has the luggage rack up top which is just awesome.  Him and I talked shop for an hour and a half (which wasn't enough LOL).  Like I've said before, just driving around whether in town or on the highway is just so much fun.  And of course some dude approached me at the gas station and asked me about the car (we were there just to buy snacks).  The funniest part of the evening was this old lady who came rolling up on her bike and inquired about both cars.  She must've talked to my son for half an hour!  Turns out she was a former teacher who taught one of MY kid's teachers; so it was fun to chat with her.

driving along in my automobile.jpg

5 minutes ago, st63 said:

Love original cars!  Out of curiosity, are you running radials on it?  If so, what size?

Yes, I'm running modern radials.  Not sure what size off hand, but I will check them tomorrow AM and let you know :)

• Like 1

Nice car and those keys are amazing.....have never seen that type of detail on keys here in Oz......that 65 Fury wagon is a neat car also, here in Oz we got only got 1951 Dodge 4 dr Sedans that were Plymouth bodied and the same thing was done with 1965 Dodges......we got Plymouth Fury 4dr sedans with Dodge badging tho' from 67-72 Oz got both Fury 4dr Sedans & 4dr Hardtops, both sold as Dodge Phoenixs...........regards, Andyd.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Yes, I'm running modern radials.  Not sure what size off hand, but I will check them tomorrow AM and let you know :)

Thanks!  Always looking at good tire options. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 10:42 PM, Worden18 said:

A friend helped me adjust the clutch yesterday, now I see how easy that is.  She's right where it should be.  I exercised the Fluid Drive a few times on our ride.  I love how it idles down to about 400-450rpm when you don't bother to push in the clutch...

Goodnight Meadowbrook....:P

rear view inside woodshed.jpg

Hi. I have a 50 Meadowbrook too and my fluid drive functions as yours except that the engine vibrates and does not sound happy if I use it as you describe. How does your car feel ? 

• Like 1