Three speed transmission with floor shifter

pflaming

A long time back, I saw an illustration of a floor shifter for a three speed .transmission . Today, from what I've read, it is no longer in production, so I fabricated one for myself. Once I pressed in brass bushings at the pivot points, it now shifts smooth and easy. Will install in four weeks after our vacation to Maine. 

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8627.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 5

Pflaming,

I, for one, will MOST interested in seeing how this turns out. Back in the day, I had a ’57 Buick Special 2-door sedan (I got is from Arizona, and it had no heater/defroster, only block-off plates on the dash where the controls would’ve been, a very large block-off on the firewall, and no fittings on the engine for heater hoses—not very practical in mid-west winters), that had a three speed manual. I wanted to put a floor shift in it, but the transmission only had one lever, and there wasn’t a floor shifter designed for that!!! There, with that being said, and admitting here and now that I’ve never studied the mechanism on the transmission of our car, I tho’t that the two levers were as “regular” three speed transmissions, ie: reverse and first on one lever, and second and third on the other one. However, having read, and looked at, your recent posting, that apparently isn’t the case. I’m going to have to look in the service manual for information on this, but does one lever select reverse/first, or second/third, dependent upon the position of the other lever??? Many thanks in advance.

Pflaming,

I confess to studying your photos in detail with a magnifying glass up to the computer monitor in an attempt to figure out just how your shifter works. While it looks incredibly clean-cut, and straight-forward, I just can’t seem to get my head around how it functions. Unless . . . . please bear with me here . . .  do you lift the handle as you’re moving it back and forth to select which set of gears (reverse/first—second/third) you’re engaging???

Sure it goes into 1st and reverse?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully, not at the same time . . . .  But sometimes, with my luck, stranger things have occurred . . .  Altho’, I did have a Powerglide transmission that did just that very thing while I was travelling down the street. Talk about instantly stopping!!! It seemed like all I had was Park, no matter where the shift lever was positioned.

47 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

Hopefully, not at the same time . . . .  But sometimes, with my luck, stranger things have occurred . . .  Altho’, I did have a Powerglide transmission that did just that very thing while I was travelling down the street. Talk about instantly stopping!!! It seemed like all I had was Park, no matter where the shift lever was positioned.

My 87 chev pickup will shift to neutral from reverse on its own while backing up. 

Chazz 47,

Hmmm. . . . .  I’m just guessing here, but I don’t think it’s supposed to do that. Or, do you think it knows something you and I don’t???  Southeast Missouri, huh . . .  I spent a lot of time in southwest and southcentral Missouri. Absolutely loved the Ozarks!!!  Did my medical school at KUMC in KCK, and loved that, too (but, we’re from the area, so we’re biased).

Did the pictures disappear?  Not seeing them for some reason.

I learned how to delete attachments, may have deleted these also. So post #1 has the photos. And for late comers, here

IMG_8627.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

I bought a floor shifter from J C Whitney for my '50 Plymouth in the early 60's that worked well but had a reverse pattern.

In trying to figure yours out , do you push down to select reverse/first?

Jim M

pflaming,

I’ve still been studying the photo the shifter you made, and the diagram for the aftermarket. Having read the captions in the diagram, perusing the service manual, and having read your most recent comment—the light bulb finally illuminated. I’ve got it!!! And, your shifter’s an ingenious work of art. Question, tho’—will the shift pattern be ‘flipped’ as reflected in the diagram? Given the shape and position of the transmissions arms, I don’t know how that could be avoided, and it makes little-to-no difference in the coolness factor of what you’ve done. I for one am eagerly awaiting your follow-up comments once it’s installed, and you’ve driven the car. I’m confident the comments will be positive. Best regards . . . .

Here is the guy that makes floor shift on a regular basis. He also converts input shafts for fluid and none fluid applications. this guy is the guru for the 30s to40s Mopar drivetrain. He fabs intakes, exhaust, and transmissions. He has been doing this for 50 plus years.

http://www.oldplymouths.com/index.php?/topic/4-overdrives/

dcga.jpg