What's in the Box?

Roadkingcoupe

It has been a practice for the last 30 years to carry a box in the trunk of useful items for Breakdowns and Spares.

Just curious what else people carry for safety and spares concerns? Suggestions?

Found in the trunk of my car....

FIRE extinguisher, wheel chock, tow rope, rags & hand cleaner, small tool kit.

Spares: tubes, V-belt, ignition parts, Oil, Brake Fluid, lug nut wrench, bumper jack (yes it is unsafe...wheel chock), jug of anti freeze or water, AAA card, battery operated radio.

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
  • Like 1

I would add jumper cables.

For a long distance trip- add fuel pump, water pump,oil?

DJ

You've got a pretty good assortment there, but I would add some electrical items.  Like a small roll of primary wire (#14 AWG), some fuses, either a test light, or a small volt/ohmmeter, roll of electrical tape, a spare bulb or two. And out of curiosity, how many times did you actually have to fix something along the road, with your spare items in the trunk? :confused:

Wayne

Edited by Oldguy48
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oldguy48 said:

And out of curiosity, how many times did you actually have to fix something along the road, with your spare items in the trunk? :confused:

Wayne

Actually have helped other fellow enthusiasts mostly.

• Like 2

In our car, we carry a spare tire, along with the equipment to change a flat. We don’t have a bumper jack, per se. Our jack looks like a bumper jack, but I lays horizontal on the ground, had a round pad about 4” in diameter (similar to what you’d find on a typical floor jack), special wrenches and sockets (wire wheels are a real pain in the a$$, I just hope I never have to deal with them in the dark, or the rain, or in the dark and rain). Spare fuses in the glove box, maps/road atlas, and most importantly, credit cards . . .  Regards.

I haven't built a kit for my old Plymouth yet, but I will.  I always carry a pretty well stocked emergency bag in all my cars.  Typically I carry:

- Jumper cables
- Pair of work gloves
- 10-in-1 screwdriver (I love these and keep one in every toolbox & vehicle)
- Small roll of Gorilla tape (I've used it to patch a blown radiator hose, it works but hurry up and get to where you can replace it)
- DogBone wrench
- Crescent wrench
- Tow strap and a couple D-shackles
- Pair of channel-locks
- Bottle of OFF! If you have to pull into the breakdown lane in July in Kansas, the ditch by the side of the road is where ALL THE MOSQUITOS live.
- Couple of water bottles
- Tire plug kit
- One of these small flashlights.  These lights are amazing.  Super bright, tough as nails, waterproof, and only cost a couple bucks each.
- Cheapo 12v air compressor
- Poncho
- Towel (good drivers always know where their towel is)

Recently I discovered these handy lithium-ion jump-starters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LIE842/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Way smaller than the briefcase-sized ones I used to use, about the size of an old VHS cassette and is good for at least several jumps before running out of juice.  I've had one sitting in the glove box of my Jeep for at least several months now and it still has full bars on the charge meter.

I have a good old fashioned high-tech plastic milk crate in the trunk.  In it is a basic tool kit in an old "tankers tool bag" ( 3/8 - 3/4 combination wrenches, spanner wrench, standard/needle nose/channel lock pliers, combination screwdriver), jumper cables, tire-plug kit, roll of electrical tape, tow strap, 4-way lug wrench, two chocks, a handful of nitrile work gloves, a can of WD40, a wad of those red shop rags, and an old bath towel.  That way when I want to take the Terraplane out, I just transfer the milk crate.  I keep a gallon jug of 50/50 anti-freeze in each one, too.  The only spare parts I keep in any our old cars are the spare tires, and in the VW Beetle an extra generator belt.  The Beetle has its own tool kit, (not the factory optional one, tho) since it's all metric.  I haven't had to rescue myself (in the old cars, anyway) yet, but I have helped others at shows or along the road. 

I usually have a small tool assortment, electrical repair items, a few nuts/ bolts/zip ties. I have a few things in each of my older vehicles, just kinda depends on which one it is. It's usually pretty minimal unless I'm going on a longer trip. 

3 things I can't do without are reading glasses, a GOOD flash light and my pocket knife. The pocket knife of course doesn't go in the trunk. I use it more in a days time than anything. It also seems to be a good luck charm. If i forget it I'm usually screwed at some point during the day. 

I have a small tool bag under the seat, along with spare ignition parts, rebuilt fuel pump, and a distributor (for other reasons). In the back of the truck I have a box with a couple quarts of oil, wheel chocks, a small portable floor jack, and cleaning supplies. Oh, and there's a spare brake light switch in the glove box. I used to go through a lot of those until I stopped buying them at Napa.

And as Roadkingcoupe stated, mostly it has helped others. It all started as "just in case" parts, but now it's just a good place to keep them so I know where they are. Although the fuel pump actually came in handy when I had one crap out on the road. In fact, the one that's under the seat now is that one that crapped out, but it's been rebuilt.

Edited by Merle Coggins

It all depends, if I'm driving a Chev. I don't even mess with a box. I pull a trailer with my motor cycle in it so I can get back home.

• Like 1

Oooooooo……. Don, I completely forgot about the mobile telephone. But, in all honesty, I don’t carry one—my wife does, and it just makes/takes calls. Texting??? You’ll have to send us an email. Photos??? We’ll have to get our camera. We’re both old-school, but me more so than her. Best regards.

3 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Oooooooo……. Don, I completely forgot about the mobile telephone. But, in all honesty, I don’t carry one—my wife does, and it just makes/takes calls. Texting??? You’ll have to send us an email. Photos??? We’ll have to get our camera. We’re both old-school, but me more so than her. Best regards.

If you honestly don't carry a phone, you are my hero! 

I carry tools including a torque wrench, carry a head gasket, fuel filter, a12 volt jumper box to power the gps oil, a condensor, an empty gallon gas can, and a couple 30 amp headlight switch fuses,and a fully set up extra distributor.  Road trip repairs made, one fan belt, a fuel filter change and a headlamp fuse.

6 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Hey Mortimer, Jeff Bezos sends his love ;) Seriously, though; does that jump box work as advertised? Looks like a winner!!

It definitely does.  I carried it around in my diesel Volkswagen golf for several weeks when I was having a bizarre battery drain issue, every so often it would just go dead and the terminals would be smoking hot.  That little turbodiesel is surprisingly hard to turn over (usually requires heavy gauge jumper cables) and this thing worked like a charm.  I jumped my car with it probably a half dozen times.  Works great on my 318 V8 Jeep as well.

Good topic! Spare tire, lug wrench, jack, rags, jumper box, window cleaner, california duster, small toolbox of hand tools, oil, tow strap, points, condenser, fuses and bulbs. Phone and credit card. As far as use, I have used the jumper box on a few other cars when out and about and on mine a time or two at home before I got the battery tender. I have used a variety of the hand tools on different occasions. My cars and others. Had to put a fuel pump on my Dart once only to find that my fuel problem was electrical and I stopped in the next pull off and replaced the points. Pulled the thermostat on the Dodge coupe once on the road. I used to carry a gallon of water but gave that up a while back. Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled a stuck wheel cylinder on a '48 Chrysler on a show field once. (had to send someone for brake fluid, should add that to my kit). Pulled spark plugs on a '50 Ford one time that wouldn't turn over on a show field. Found two cylinders had water, one full. Cranked it over, reinstalled plugs, pushed it and caught in gear, water blew out the exhaust but the flat six ran and the guy made it home. That is where my water jug went, I remember now, I gave it to him in case he needed it on the way home. I used the tow strap once the first year we had the Dodge Coupe, towed it home with a Dodge Dart, 340 4-speed of my brothers that Dad was driving that day, it was an overheating issue, my first encounter with a water tube. Was probably quite a sight with the Dart towing the Coupe. Can never be prepared for everything, don't even try to.

React, asses. formulate a plan and execute the plan, Once the bugs are worked out, with a little maintenance these cars are very reliable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mortimer452 said:

It definitely does.  I carried it around in my diesel Volkswagen golf for several weeks when I was having a bizarre battery drain issue, every so often it would just go dead and the terminals would be smoking hot.  That little turbodiesel is surprisingly hard to turn over (usually requires heavy gauge jumper cables) and this thing worked like a charm.  I jumped my car with it probably a half dozen times.  Works great on my 318 V8 Jeep as well.

Thanks!! I'm gonna buy one on your recommendation. 

3 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Thanks!! I'm gonna buy one on your recommendation. 

It's definitely worth it.  It even has a flashlight and a couple USB ports on the side for charging your phone.  My only complaint is that the battery clamps are a little cheap, kinda gotta jiggle them around sometimes to get a good "bite" on the battery.  Pretty easy to replace with better ones, though.