WLS HEADLINER

48ply1stcar

Keep up the pics, I'll be doing this next week when I get my new tack strip in. I have a new headliner and windlace that came with my car that seems to be made out of some sort of neoprene. I think I have a handle on it except at the rear where it mounts at the package tray it looks like some sort of wire and tab configuration.

Good luck to you!

If it were me,my first move would be to drop it off at an upholstery shop and let the pros do it.

I don't even have to try it to know it would be a mistake for me to even get started on putting in a headliner. I have trouble putting on bumperstickers without getting them wrinkled.

It's important in life to know your shortcomings.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, ThriftyT said:

Can you buy these?   Or was it custom made?

WLS headliners, http://wlsheadliners.com/1946-to-1948-plymouth-special-deluxe-4-door-sedan-headliner.html.   I have had this for two years waiting to get this far along.  I think the color is saddle.

Edited by 48ply1stcar
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Good luck to you!

If it were me,my first move would be to drop it off at an upholstery shop and let the pros do it.

I don't even have to try it to know it would be a mistake for me to even get started on putting in a headliner. I have trouble putting on bumperstickers without getting them wrinkled.

It's important in life to know your shortcomings.

Wrinkles are one problem but no matter how clean my hands would be It would still end up covered in fingerprints!

I ignore the sides as a starting point.

I center the front and stretch it till the 1st bow has some tension and is starting to pull and straighten a couple behind it.

Then go to the back and do the same to tension up the rear bows and make sure they all look evenly tensioned/ moderately tight and the listing seams are straight. 

Keep going front to rear till all the bow seams are tensioned even and look right and the sections look/ feel taught and have the headliner soft curve look to each section.

Then work a little bit side to side stretching working the wrinkles out a section at a time. Work your way to the rear section at a time side to side.

The last section around the rear window is last and same thing work it a little bit at a time till all wrinkles are out.

Round and round the sections of headliner till you get it right. Don't over stretch it the first go around. A Little bit at a time.

It's very important to properly center the headliner to the roof of the car in the beginning. Mark the roof and the headliner which probably already has centering marks.

And Google vintage car headliner installation to get some more info.

Expect to take a very long day or better two days so you can take a break to do a good proper wrinkle free job.

You can use a clothes steamer to remove very slight wrinkles you cannot seem to remove.

I've done five plymouths and chryslers 1946-52.

Gook luck!!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3

I have to admit to being in the same group with knuckleharely and 40plyrod—I just can’t do much in interiors. I can do OK with door liners, rear tray, and carpets, but seats, headliners—are you kidding??? Between wrinkles and puckers, and getting my fingers in the adhesive, and then on the headliner, I’d be better off to just throw the stuff away, and avoid the aggravation. I’ve learned, the hard way by the way, that I do what I can do well, and if I can’t do something well, I let someone who can do it for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

I have to admit to being in the same group with knuckleharely and 40plyrod—I just can’t do much in interiors. I can do OK with door liners, rear tray, and carpets, but seats, headliners—are you kidding??? Between wrinkles and puckers, and getting my fingers in the adhesive, and then on the headliner, I’d be better off to just throw the stuff away, and avoid the aggravation. I’ve learned, the hard way by the way, that I do what I can do well, and if I can’t do something well, I let someone who can do it for me.

I once had a windshield replaced by a pro because the insurance paid for it. He did it in less time than it takes me to figure out what approach to take,and was talking with me and smoking a cigarette at the same time.

Not only that,but there wasn't a trace of glue anywhere in or out of the car,and not even any sticky fingerprints on the windshield. It usually took me longer to clean up the glue and my fingerprints than this guy spent taking the old windshield out and putting the new one in.

I swore right then that I would never replace another windshield for the rest of my life because it's cheaper to pay a pro to do it than it is to waste all my time doing something I'm not good at,and on top of that I COULD have been doing work I AM good at with all that time and gotten a lot done.

Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and do the smart thing.

• Like 2

To get a headliner wrinkle free is not an easy chore and requires  upholstery smarts and lots and lots and lots of patience.

It cannot be accomplished in perfection by many.

To me nothing is as ugly as a wrinkly headliner.

14 hours ago, plymjim said:

Follow what dodgeb4ya said & you should get through this

just fine. I put a WLS headliner in my coupe & it's a quality

product. Fit is excellent. Best of luck.

Do you have any tips, do I need to glue any of it, it looks like I can just stretch, tuck and staple?  I ask about a starting place because of the C-pillar.  I haven't touch it in two days, I working up the courage.

No has mentioned that upholstery shops also have a machine that makes steam that is used as needed to gently heat materials that will stretch some to work out wrinkles .

The material tightens up as it cools= No wrinkles, and they have the experience you cannot buy in any book.  :(

DJ

Guys,

The more I read hear about this, the more convinced I am that 48ply1stcar has much more courage/confidence to undertake this than I do/would. If I were face with this project, I’d be running off into the night screaming and crying like a little girl (apologies to any little girls out there who might be reading this . . .).

48ply1stcar, you definitely seem determined to do this yourself, so all I can say to you at this point is: Go forth, and conquer!!!

Actually the material WLS makes these headliners out of are top quality, and do not get wrinkled really easy.  The small wrinkles I had I noticed a few days of sitting the car out in the sun took care of them.  Now if we are talking about a vinyl headliner that may be a different story.  I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do one of those. 

If you can get a helper as well that will make the job much easier.  When you are at the back window stapling away trying to get everything tight, it's good to have a guy at the front to tell you if you've pulled too far. 

• 3 weeks later...

Returned from a wedding time to work.  I guess a full day of work every three-weeks is not bad for a retiree.  I think feared getting started on the headliner.  Once I realized it would not be prefect I just kept going.

Shown first bracket on both sides. Cut out the first seam to the wind lace then tucked and stuffed. Still have the rear window to do the driver's side.

hl 4.jpg

HL 1.jpg

hl 2.jpg

hl 3.jpg

• Like 1