47 Plymouth Radiatior Fan Leak

cerick305

A few days ago I grease the fitting on the radiator fan on my 1947 Plymouth Deluxe.  Today I noticed a steady dribble of coolant coming from inside the fan housing.  What is the fix, do I have to pull the entire radiator out?  Not sure why this would happen only after greasing.

Thanks,

Chad

What you are referring to as your fan housing, is your water pump. Your water pump was probably on its way out before you greased it, and you may have knocked some of the junk loose that was blocking the coolant from coming out when you greased it. You should be able to take the fan off and replace your water pump without pulling the radiator, I don't know if they are a rebuildable part.

Original and replacement water pumps that were made when these engines were new were greaseable and rebuildable however I think the grease fitting was dropped when they came out with a better bearing that was sealed from the factory and new pumps now have a much better bearing and seal and are a "sealed" unit.........when I 1st got my 1940 Dodge in 1971 I do remember getting a water pump repair kit which contained the seal, bearing, shaft & gaskets I think...............and having to redo the job after buggering up the seal assembly as it had a thick fibre washer thing which broke if you weren't careful....I wasn't......more than once............lol.........you maybe able to find a repair kit but from memory you have to be damn careful with it..........or at least be older than 18yrs and young & stupid like I was...........lol.........Andy Douglas   

I purchased a new water pump from NAPA however the gasket that was included looked like a thin piece of cardboard.  Little nervous about using it.  Should I also apply some high temp gasket sealant?  Don't want to put it all back together just to find it still leaks....

On the new pump remove the bolts that hold the back plate on and put some gasket sealer on both sides of that gasket and  then some on the outer gasket both sides.

I had very, very bad luck with using hi temp silicone sealer on the surfaces! All leaked then needed to redo with Permatex type gasket sealer- (aviation type if I remember).

All well now for 4 years.

DJ

the paper gasket that came with the waterpump is the proper gasket.  But some white grease on both side of the gasket that goes against the front on the engine block.  Also use some sand paper to make sure you have removed any and all left over gasket sealer from the front of the engine block. should be shinny metal. the slightest piece of leftover material will cause the pump to leak at this location.

Learned from experience the hard way.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com