B1b engine swap Chevy

I've got two options either 292 inline or 2.8 v6 any suggestions? I've already swapped for a t5 and grand Cherokee rear end so the tranny will bolt up to either.

If your looking at an engine  swap using gm you might consider a 4.3 V 6. It basically has the same internals as a 350 but is a little shorter than a 350. 

I just thought I would give you another option to think about. 

I didn't know the 292 was a direct bolt to the T5?  Your already going to have to mock up new pedal mounts and master Cyl and clutch...if I was going that far I would look at a 318 or 350 V8 swap

Edited by 4mula-dlx

I haven't pulled the Trans to verify that it will fit but eye-balling it with a tape measure the bolt pattern looks the same. I'm not wanting a hot rod just an economical everyday driver that will pull something when I need to. I know whichever way I go it's gonna be a lot of work but I've got the pedal assembly from  a s-10 

...seems like the 292 would be longer than the L-head so check that.

Do you need to keep the t5? The LA-TF package is fairly compact and has plenty of tow capacity.

LA-TF sorry I'm not familiar with that one if your talking automatic, no thanks I like my 5 speed, I enjoy driving a standard, not sure if it's because that's what I learned to drive with or what. But when I was a kid, and still do, we learned to shift with out using a clutch just by feel.  To me that is part of the nastalga of owning and operating an old truck.

LA = 318-340-360   TF = Torqueflite

Since you need a manual, the 318-360 was available with the AX-15 in Dakota and 1500 trucks.

There was also a Getrag 236, 6-speed, for a couple of years....

• 1 month later...