Motor and Transmission ID

Surfmerc

Hello - I am new to this forum and new to the flathead. I just took possession of a 1950 Plymouth Suburban. The motor and  transmission were  not in the car but separated and I would like to know if they are compatible with each other and will they fit in the Suburban. The  motor ID number is D24534I29. Transmission has numbers 1 21 53 and 1408517. Apprreciate any comments you might have.

Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The motor is 1953. The trans is Most likely the same. P-23 = 1953

Your 1950 Suburban is a P-19.

What type is the trans? A standard 3 spd. with no converter looking thing inside the bellhousing? Then if not , No problemo! May still work if so, with the proper linkage pieces.

Love the 50 Sub. as I own one!

Get er on the road and enjoy.

Pictures Always welcome!  :)

DJ

The D24 series was the 46 through49 Dodge.  So lucky you you have a 102 hp 230 cu in engine instead of a 97 hp 218. The only difference is the Dodge has a longer stroke making the displacement difference.  The rebuilders tag says it has been bored .030 and that the crank was machined and 010 ovesizd main and connecting bearings installed maybe in June of 1957.  Assuming they came out of that car and it was  driving vehicle, they should go back together.  This kind of stuff was not uncommon procedure for keeping cars one the road in the frugal 50's.  Doing a compression test will give you a good idea of internal conditions

Just make sure the tester fitting doesn't get screwed in deeper than the sparks reach.

I can't believe this. To the best of my knowledge,I can't remember even seeing an actual Suburban in the steel. Not even in the 50's,when they were new/newish.

Now it seems like half the people here one one or two of them,and "new" ones are popping up all the time.

• Like 3

DJ- Trans looks like a 3 speed. It's missing parts like  flywheel and bell housing and more I'm sure. (see picture). Good to hear you have a Suburban!  Thanks 

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

Measure the length of the input shaft.  The Dodge transmission has a longer shaft to account for the deeper fluid drive bell housing.  The assembly on the out put end of the trans is the parking brake. You will need to source a Plymouth fly wheel and bell housing, shift linkage as the dodge deeper bell housing dictated longer bits, and location of the belhousing cross member. 

The shaft measures approx. 9". Will look for flywheel and bell housing. Looks like  I also will need rear support rubber bushings. I only see 2 holes in the frame. 

Thanks everyone for your comments!

There is a thread on the forum with a fellow doing a hemi into his suburban.  Perhaps he had left overs from his project that might benefit yours.  Might be worth shooting him a private message.I think the nine in makes it a dodge, I can't get to my spare Plymouth trans to measure.  I have a spare clutch assembly, and I thought I had a Plymouth bell housing also.  I will need to get over to my storage barn and check. But being in NY shipping might be an issue.

15 hours ago, Surfmerc said:

DJ- Trans looks like a 3 speed. It's missing parts like  flywheel and bell housing and more I'm sure. (see picture). Good to hear you have a Suburban!  Thanks 

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

That trans appears to be for a fluid drive.

If someone can get the length of the input shaft of a non fluid drive trans you can know for sure. It can changed out to the proper length imput to make it usable if needed.

My friend has some flat 6 mopar motors and parts for sale and may have a std. bell,flywheel, clutch avail. I may have the shift linkage for a std. 3 spd. in storage. We are both in Modesto ca. so not as far as NY!

Boy I screwed up the motor ID! I must have read the # stamped with my reading glasses OFF!:unsure:   Duh-- D= dodge.

PM me if you want to talk about the parts avail.

DJ

I'm thinking that's just the uncommon SWB three speed found in the business coupes steel wagons and 2dr sedans. Now anyone make sense of why they shortened the transmission rather than the driveshaft??

The engine is definitely 46 to early 49 Dodge and is likely a 230. ( you can never tell with rebuilders).  Look for an eight bolt crank flange to confirm the 230.   The trans is the "shorty " used in all the short wheelbase models.  It has the  input shaft for a regular flywheel and clutch.

Why they used this instead of shortening the driveshaft is a mystery.  The strength that the tailshaft extension gave to the longer transmission  was a real benefit.

Anyways, Surfmerc, it should not be hard to get the Plymouth bell housing and flywheel and related parts.  Elsewhere on this forum there are cautions about  ring gear and starter issues which may be encountered.   Don Coatney posted some pictures, if I recollect.

Sorry about all the pictures but sometimes that is the best way to communicate for those of us that are not up to speed with how things go together or don't go together! Looks like the crank flange has 8 holes but not sure why there is only 4 bolts. What do you think? What I'm getting from comments is that the motor is a 230 with the correct transmission to go with it. I'm missing flywheel , bell housing and other misc items. It should fit in the 50 Suburban! Thanks again

IMG_6734.JPG

There are only four bolts because it appears to have utilized the Plymouth flywheel the extra mass of the fluid drive unit required the extra fasteners, so it lends credence to the supposition that the installation used the Plymouth dry clutch setup.

Edited by greg g

Interesting - Appreciate the feed back! This will certainly get me going in the right direction!

Let you know that my first experience on this forum was great. Thanks everyone.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:37 PM, knuckleharley said:

I can't believe this. To the best of my knowledge,I can't remember even seeing an actual Suburban in the steel. Not even in the 50's,when they were new/newish.

Now it seems like half the people here one one or two of them,and "new" ones are popping up all the time.

I only remember one. My BIL had a Plymouth 2 door wagon, can't remember the exact year but I think it was a '53. We did a lot of running around in it in the late '60s, camping, boating, etc. The car and BIL are long gone but those are great memories..

• 2 years later...

Well guys 2 years later I am back on my objective to reassemble the 49 (not 50 as mentioned above) that was given to me in parts and pieces. I have all exterior body parts installed with the exception of the rear bumper. The motor is installed and attempting to install the transmission which I had posted questions 2 years ago which now brings me to this posting.

I have made several attempts to line up and install transmission with no success. It's needs to go in another 1-1/4" +- to mate up to the bell housing. I did find the bell housing and flywheel that came off the D-24. I used (2) long bolts with head cut off installed diagonally from each other to help align. A new pilot bearing was installed. The wagon is on my driveway which makes more difficult.

Any feed back would be great!

Thanks

1 1/4" sounds like it isn't correctly lined with the pilot bearing.  Did you use a clutch pilot alignment tool to install the clutch disk???  And test fit the main drive gear to the pilot bushing?

Edited by kencombs

Yes I used an alignment tool. I did not test fit but I verified shaft length and diameter of shaft and pilot bushing and seemed ok. 

I bumped the engine with Trans in gear and Trans was rotating.