Mopar battery

chrysler1941

50 minutes ago, greg g said:

The dealership I worked for in the 60s had a Mopar battery Merchandiser standing in front of the parts counter.  They had Mopar labeled 6 v group 1 similar to the ones above but they had red stripe on the yellow portions.  The 12volt had the forward look design on them. This was in the mid 60s.  My dads 54 Meadowbrook had the Mopar logoed battery in it.  It also had a Mopar labeled jiffy jet windshield washer set up. The one with the foot pump and the plastic bag that looked like an IV bag.

How cool you worked with MoPar parts back then. Interesting the used red  afterwards.

What a great washer bag. If I had  a later model I'd get that one. Lights up engine bay.

And thank you for leading me to the yellow color. Stupid me, they even used it in their logos. 

I'll post picture as work progresses.

MOPAR logo.jpg

• Like 1

Here isa color picture of the MoPar Battery that is taken from my MoPar Battery Catalog. I have never seen a MoPar battery at any swap meets I have seen the Willard Battery.

I have more literature on MoPar Batteries and will list a copy of the Battery catalogs from the 30's to the 50's.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.a03d6b18adc56ac3353f59ebe04d76c6.png

• Like 1

Interesting...I didn't know there were MoPar labelled batteries back in the day. The electrical specs and wiring diagrams I've seen list Willard batteries along with Willard part numbers for the various models.

I think the interesting part is that the new color pictures show the original battery to be  yellow, gray and a little black with stripes, and not just all black and yellow.

Of interest, below is supposedly an authentic Willard battery of the 40s/50s vintage. Willard made all the Chrysler batteries, and you can see they just adjusted their design a bit. 

Not the pre-40s version (which was also a Willard). Surprisingly few photos of the battery or the engine bay for that matter in 30s / 40s. You'd think somewhere someone has one of these batteries from a 80 year old barn find, or something.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/298044-willard-battery-question/

image.png.fdc27586761f77e9c0b79f09bc204170.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T120 said:

of note, antique auto battery and likely restoration battery are out of business. That linked website seems to be spam/click bait, so I don't recommend clicking on it.

8 hours ago, T120 said:

Interesting...I didn't know there were MoPar labelled batteries back in the day. The electrical specs and wiring diagrams I've seen list Willard batteries along with Willard part numbers for the various models.

And neither did the author of Hemmings battery article. Pre war life always seem to an undercommented mysterious gray zone for us living now.

2 hours ago, wagoneer said:

Of interest, below is supposedly an authentic Willard battery of the 40s/50s vintage. Willard made all the Chrysler batteries, and you can see they just adjusted their design a bit. 

Not the pre-40s version (which was also a Willard). Surprisingly few photos of the battery or the engine bay for that matter in 30s / 40s. You'd think somewhere someone has one of these batteries from a 80 year old barn find, or something.

Did they now or is this just what we are told ? My 1941 Chrysler Part List shown the MoPar battery in the list. Not Willard. It could be Willard internals, but the casing  was so much different.

But agree, why are there no MoPar batteries left somewhere? Maybe it's like today, no one buys OEM batteries. Too expensive ?

6 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Did they now or is this just what we are told ? My 1941 Chrysler Part List shown the MoPar battery in the list. Not Willard. It could be Willard internals, but the casing  was so much different.

But agree, why are there no MoPar batteries left somewhere? Maybe it's like today, no one buys OEM batteries. Too expensive ?

i agree; I meant that mopar batteries were rebadged willards.

Most, if not all, the batteries are probably the victims of the most successful recycling program - automotive batteries.

The contents are so valuable and done usually through professional shops that they invariably end up at the recyclers.

Even DIY mechanics trade in the old one for return of the core deposit.

Best bet would be some long lost barn find somewhere.

Found this picture on the internet...Canadian version. ?

1426262433_ChrycoBatteryDisplay.png.dd00222e98724367838b4ffd3653632d.png

• Thanks 1

At one time, a few years ago, I had an adhesive backed copy of this battery sign.   It was good for a while and eventually became

un-stuck for some reason.     I don't recall where I got the label, unless perhaps from Neil Riddle, who is "seaplym" on eBay.

It looked like this.

cg1.gifBattery Central Mall.com sells vintage Chrysler Corp batteries.  

*******ADDITION......just looked on 4/30 ..... you can buy various stick on battery labels on eBay for around $6 to $10.   

Edited by BobT-47P15

On 4/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, BobT-47P15 said:

At one time, a few years ago, I had an adhesive backed copy of this battery sign.   It was good for a while and eventually became

un-stuck for some reason.     I don't recall where I got the label, unless perhaps from Neil Riddle, who is "seaplym" on eBay.

It looked like this.

Yes I had one of those on my old battery. Like yours, my fell of after a while. Had to glue the second one on. 

I just love the look of OEM pre war battery ;)

Edited by chrysler1941

Neil Riddle used to have those battery case stickers ...made em and sold them.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an update of the progress.

Battery was trimmed and gussets removed for cleaner look.

Plastic plates where milled for sides. Inserts made for logos and glues.

Filler caps sliced and glued to reproduction MoPar caps. 

After drying, off to vinyl wrapper.

Better photos when it's done

20210425_110113.jpg

IMG_20210522_211551.jpg

20210502_123828.jpg

Edited by chrysler1941