Carb issues

Kool48

3 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

As you have dual exhaust have you done the dollar bill test?

Don I didn't use a dollar at the exhaust tips.  But did use s pieces of paper.   The drivers side is very consistent and sound mellow.  The pass side will poof (pop) the paper or your hand.  You can definitely tell a huge difference.  Doesn't suck the paper in though 

8 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Pour either down the carb, with engine running and warm, engine must be revving to abut 2000 rpm, pour in can slowly, then shut down, start it after a couple of hours, a lot of smoke will ensue, and maybe loosen that valve.

Do the compression test first and see where you are at. Hopefully you don't have a leaking head gasket at cyl 1...

When you say pour in can. Are you talking about the marvel mystery oil ?   If so how much ? Size of can that is.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 11:10 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Pour either down the carb, with engine running and warm, engine must be revving to abut 2000 rpm, pour in can slowly, then shut down, start it after a couple of hours, a lot of smoke will ensue, and maybe loosen that valve.

Do the compression test first and see where you are at. Hopefully you don't have a leaking head gasket at cyl

Finally found my issue.     After lots of worries and frustrations.   The ground wire ( clothed wrap) wire.    Looked fine.     Was gonna make new anyway. Running outta things to look for.   So completely ( minus shaft ) disassembled the dizzy and cleaned and ran all new hardware.    Ended up being the ground wire on plate.  Wire inside of jacket was burnt or burning.  Had some black on ends.   Anyway. Repaired put back together.     Car is running as should.   Very smooth , k thought i was going crazy there for a bit.  Car has been down well over a month.  Over a simple small wire connection.  Just goes to show.   Don't over look anything.   I'm happy now though.  You bet ya.      I'm glad I didn't pull head.   Have 18 "s of vacum now timing is 6 degrees BTDC.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, medium_jon said:

Which ground wire was the problem?

The cloth wrapped ground wire that's screwed to vacum advance plates. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2017 at 5:46 AM, Kool48 said:

Finally found my issue.     After lots of worries and frustrations.   The ground wire ( clothed wrap) wire.    Looked fine.     Was gonna make new anyway. Running outta things to look for.   So completely ( minus shaft ) disassembled the dizzy and cleaned and ran all new hardware.    Ended up being the ground wire on plate.  Wire inside of jacket was burnt or burning.  Had some black on ends.   Anyway. Repaired put back together.     Car is running as should.   Very smooth , k thought i was going crazy there for a bit.  Car has been down well over a month.  Over a simple small wire connection.  Just goes to show.   Don't over look anything.   I'm happy now though.  You bet ya.      I'm glad I didn't pull head.   Have 18 "s of vacum now timing is 6 degrees BTDC.

I kept reminding myself to ask you to check this, and had it on my mind, bad on me should have asked you about this right away.

Glad you found it, and this wire has been a problem for many others...

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:59 AM, Kool48 said:

The cloth wrapped ground wire that's screwed to vacum advance plates. 

I had that same problem last year. I mentioned it on another thread but didn't think to mention it here. It is easy to overlook.

• Like 1

On June 3, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Fernando Mendes said:

1robman2.jpg.c7beb52082cc06f8b4a3b88d623a66c8.jpg

Dodge coletores juntas válvula tudo explodido..jpg

Thanks Fernando.  That's a great pic.   I don't have that in my manual.   But I'm not using that lower part anyways.  Mine has a block plate on it.   I'm running dual headers.