A 833 Trans Transplant Thread

On 1/9/2018 at 7:36 PM, greg g said:

Which three speed the ones bolted to the flatheads or the ones contemporary with the A883?

That is the Plymouth 1941 -1954 3 speed transmission.

1st....2.57
2nd...1.83
3rd...1.0
reverse 3.48

Sorry if I didnt make that clear enough.. my bad

21 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

That's a lot of changes and expense just to have a 4spd O/D.  Have you thought of changing to a non O/D 4spd and not having to mess with all the other stuff?

Even if you had to purchase another trans (I understand you already have the O/D 833) I think it will still be cheaper...  What's your time worth?

Better gear spread with the non O/D too :)  Look at the top 833 6cyl choice in your previous attachment.  Same 3.09 1st to get you moving but the 2-3-4 splits are much better.  Keep you 3.23 rear axle and motor on....

Adam

Sorry I had to chuckle.. This from the guy who made his on intake and exhaust setup out of tube and stuff?      I doubt it was a matter of what your time was worth  and likely isnt for 55 Fargo Spitfire.   Putting in an A833 OD or non-overdrive is exactly the same effort. It really was not a big deal vs putting in a T5 which was a big deal it really was.   Getting a kit from Langdon for the T5 was a bunch easier than some of the step by step instructions I have seen on this site but it was still a lot of work and the shifter was too far back etc.  The splits on the A833 are just fine but of course depends on what rear end ratio you have.  The 1st one I did was now 15 years ago. Since I have or had a shop I own do more than a dozen of them.  They have been behind 217s, 230s, 201s, 250 and 265 engines. For those who really are using a pickup as a car and maybe with the odd load of stuff its perfect. For those with older cars that had floor shift 3 speeds and are looking for an overdrive but are unable to find a decent r6 overdrive its a blessing.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Please re-read my post, I think you missed my point but whatever.  The "whatever" 4spds you refer to I called 833's.  I would think the 833's for 70's 318's and 60's 6cyls would not be in high demand and wouldn't be too hard to find but I never looked....  You are correct though, overdrive conversions to get to 2800 rpm @70 are widely accepted and praised here but you are already there with a 1:1 final transmission ratio and 3.23 gears...

Driving my 49 car, which is lighter and lower than yours, with a mostly stock 230 and 3.00 gears with 26" tall rear tires proves to me that 2800 @70 is probably the sweet spot for our flatheads... without being complete DOGS.  

I don't mean this to knock down your thread in any way and since my alternative point of view seems to be disrupting it, I will not ask the hard questions any more.  Though I am interested in the final result with either your 228 or 265 (hopefully the 228 to compare apples to apples) after the trans, rear axle and driveshaft replacement to obtain your O/D.

You really have two A833 4 speeds.  1 is cast iron and was the same tranny put in Hemis as it was a 318.   The next generation is lighter aluminum case and it has overdrive in it.  The cast iron ones are high demand and expensive and I have lots of experience with them. The aluminum ones are not as expensive although like so much of the 70s stuff that would have 

had these transmissions, they were crushed. That is the challenge and the issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldasdirt said:

Sorry I had to chuckle.. This from the guy who made his on intake and exhaust setup out of tube and stuff?      I doubt it was a matter of what your time was worth  and likely isnt for 55 Fargo Spitfire.   Putting in an A833 OD or non-overdrive is exactly the same effort. It really was not a big deal vs putting in a T5 which was a big deal it really was.   Getting a kit from Langdon for the T5 was a bunch easier than some of the step by step instructions I have seen on this site but it was still a lot of work and the shifter was too far back etc. 

Not sure why you keep insisting the T5 is so hard to put in. Remember this is the truck forum. They are quite easy to adapt to the truck bellhousing. 

My T5 swap was literally the custom trans swap I'd ever done and it took a couple hours on a saturday. 

1 hour ago, oldasdirt said:

Sorry I had to chuckle.. This from the guy who made his on intake and exhaust setup out of tube and stuff?      I doubt it was a matter of what your time was worth  and likely isnt for 55 Fargo Spitfire.   Putting in an A833 OD or non-overdrive is exactly the same effort. It really was not a big deal vs putting in a T5 which was a big deal it really was.   Getting a kit from Langdon for the T5 was a bunch easier than some of the step by step instructions I have seen on this site but it was still a lot of work and the shifter was too far back etc.  The splits on the A833 are just fine but of course depends on what rear end ratio you have.  The 1st one I did was now 15 years ago. Since I have or had a shop I own do more than a dozen of them.  They have been behind 217s, 230s, 201s, 250 and 265 engines. For those who really are using a pickup as a car and maybe with the odd load of stuff its perfect. For those with older cars that had floor shift 3 speeds and are looking for an overdrive but are unable to find a decent r6 overdrive its a blessing.

LOL I also had to chuckle. I installed my T-5 about 18 years ago without the assist of a kit or instructions. Was there a "kit" for your A833 install 15 years ago? Sounds like doing a T-5 was well over the capabilities of your shop as you are incorrect when you say the gear shifter is too far back and the gear ratios out of line. As far as the work involved please post details of the more than a dozen A833 swaps you have done. I am not stating that a T-5 is better. I am just looking for details on how to do an A833 upgrade with documented photos. I may want to do such an upgrade myself depending on what you or anyone with documentation can tell me. Thanks for sharing your information.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

LOL I also had to chuckle. I installed my T-5 about 18 years ago without the assist of a kit or instructions. Was there a "kit" for your A833 install 15 years ago? Sounds like doing a T-5 was well over the capabilities of your shop as you are incorrect when you say the gear shifter is too far back and the gear ratios out of line. As far as the work involved please post details of the more than a dozen A833 swaps you have done. I am not stating that a T-5 is better. I am just looking for details on how to do an A833 upgrade with documented photos. I may want to do such an upgrade myself depending on what you or anyone with documentation can tell me. Thanks for sharing your information.

Don please take your T5 swap info to those applicable threads.

I have posted politely to keep it focused and in topic.

I have contacted a few others via PM.

If this persists will report any posts that cause dissension

If you want to contest another post PM the partys directly thank you

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

32 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Don please take your T5 swap info to those applicable threads.

I have posted politely to keep it focused and in topic.

I have contacted a few others via PM.

If this persists will report any posts that cause dissension

If you want to contest another post PM the partys directly thank you

I am not the one who brought up the T-5 swap in this thread. Suggest you report those who did so. I am only making an attempt to post correct information both focused and in topic same as you. Looking for documentation on the 833 swap from those who have done the swap but for unknown reasons there are no folks outside of yourself who are willing to make such reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 50plymouth said:

My apologies to having any involvement in this thread as 

Absolutely no reason to apologize.

I appreciate your interest, experience and help.

5 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Not sure why you keep insisting the T5 is so hard to put in. Remember this is the truck forum. They are quite easy to adapt to the truck bellhousing. 

My T5 swap was literally the custom trans swap I'd ever done and it took a couple hours on a saturday. 

Yes I am very aware this is a truck forum.   I clearly missed your thread with the "conversion in a couple of hours".  

3 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Well Don, Im not taking the bait.     Installed your t5 18 years ago.  Really..  I  guess it took 4 years from install until you drove it.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/makes-all-the-work-worthwhile.16533/

Don said  - "I am just looking for details on how to do an A833 upgrade with documented photos. I may want to do such an upgrade myself "  .. Seriously Don no one believes that.

Just so your aware Tom Langdon was touting the conversion well before 2000, well before any mention of you doing it or yes people stealing your ideas.  Clearly  I just helped enable you to dive into this thread for your 21,518th post.  Sorry about that folks. I will not be making that error again. Bye Don time to join the many and hit "block"

• Like 1

@oldasdirt  Be careful, at least Don knows how to change a tail shaft and extension housing to correct shifter location unlike your so called “shop”

Now go ahead and hit the report button and tattle to the moderators, it needed to be said. 

Again, apologies to 55Fargo

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Haha 1

Okay once again, my polite suggestions have not been heeded.

I have had it with the "clowns" you know who you are.

I am going to suggest that GGdad lock this thread as it appears to be going south in a "heart beat" hope you butt heads are happy with yourselves?

If you want a T5 great, go buy every frickin one you can find, if you want stock stay that way, if you want an automatic do that, but for "F" sake, leave my A833 swap the "F" alone, if you don't like it or don't want it no problem, I get that.

I intend to update my blog from here on in on this swap.

What a bunch of big "L"s, trans swap, this ain't "Rocket Science", geesh go put in a Comet clutch if you want, I don't give a "Rs A", you want a Powerglide do that, just do it elsewhere.

I have been patient and diplomatic on this thread, but no more, all of you who hate the A833 (pi$$ off), I was accused by GGDad about hating the T5, I don't hate the T5, just prefer a Chrysler intended better quality made trans, no big deal, doesn't mean you have to follow my lead.

Don Coatney, you have been a lot of trouble over the years for a lot of people, myself included, you know exactly what your doing, and a lot of those who don't know you or your history are quite unaware. I call it as it is, and you are TROUBLE.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I am not stating that a T-5 is better. I am just looking for details on how to do an A833 upgrade with documented photos. I may want to do such an upgrade myself depending on what you or anyone with documentation can tell me. Thanks for sharing your information.

The olive branch?

• Haha 1