52 b3d "Little Blue Truck"

17 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Some heat shields have a factory hole for that fuel pulse dampening dome.

that's what that hole is for! LOL

• 1 year later...

So I’m trying to get my fuel gauge working and I’m having some struggles. I got a new gas tank so I’m trying to get my gauge to work since I have the old one out. I have run a wire from the gauge unit directly to the tank unit and moved the arm on the tank unit and it goes from empty right to full and stays there. Is there a different way I should be testing it?

Is the gauge itself properly grounding through it’s mounting? There are 2 electro magnets inside the gauge. One that is variable, connected to the sender. As the float rises the resistance goes down which makes that magnet stronger. This magnet pulls the needle towards “F”. The other magnet is grounded through the mounting and provides a steady pull on the needle towards “E”. If you don’t have a good ground for the gauge you won’t get the pull towards “E” and your gauge will not come off of “F”. 

I ran a temp ground to the mounting screw. Now I can get it to read full and empty but nothing in between. I tried testing the range with an ohm meter by my meter is all over the place, I think it’s time for a new meter. I am hoping I have the right sending unit since I just got a brand new one from molar pro.

Perfect thanks everyone.

in other news, I got my fuel gauge to work (while sending unit was outside of the tank). I just took the panel unit apart and scratched up the grounding surfaces a bit, since they had paint on them. Put it back together and it works now. Now to install sender back in new tank and put it all back in truck and see how it works.

Edited by jpartington
  • Like 2

Got the new fuel tank all installed. Fuel gauge works now! :) Ran new fuel lines and got the truck running again. Now I have to get back to some more of the cosmetics. My truck is going to be in an upcoming wedding so trying to get it all buttoned back up.

can anyone tell me what the correct escutcheons look like for a 52? I have seen a couple of different styles.

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

B3 and B4 use the metal ones, they look like stacked metal cylinders.  They are NOT the rubber/plastic ones.

image.png.1f4415f174f6cad2d6ac2743e59b148b.png

You sure about that??

i read the parts manual different (part #23-14-19) 

640B0D66-BDB0-4E4E-96FB-B4331827DF0E.png.3e481bd1d41c45432c3c4f485dff4304.png

Love ya man! ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

You sure about that??

i read the parts manual different (part #23-14-19) 

640B0D66-BDB0-4E4E-96FB-B4331827DF0E.png.3e481bd1d41c45432c3c4f485dff4304.png

Love ya man! ?

Huh, I've never, ever seen the plastic ones on a truck, only the metal ones I described.

Lol, your B3/4 membership is about to be revoked. You have driven two of my trucks and didn’t notice? 

71C8B84D-6EF6-496A-A77F-02A3B882B89B.jpeg.f34ceb3d6d24f78048728f2b6a7d88d2.jpeg06AE4CBA-198A-4F37-AAF5-84AC8039A2E9.jpeg.534e570e3fc7c136650adf7d4b83ce13.jpeg

out of seven truck I’ve had, I only had one truck that did not have not the “plastic”

(And I pulled them to put on George ?)

• Like 1

I have a couple of the ones that Brent showed and a couple of home made ones. I ditched the home made ones and found two more that match my style awhile back but didn’t notice mine were black and the two others I found were brown. But I have seen some metal ones too so I was just wondering which type is more fitting for my truck.

Edited by jpartington

My opinion, it’s your choice. If it were me I’d use the best “plastic” ones you have until you find a perfect metal set, then swap them. Myself, I like the metal ones. 

Apparently, even if your friends drive your truck, they probably won’t even notice ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

My opinion, it’s your choice. If it were me I’d use the best “plastic” ones you have until you find a perfect metal set, then swap them. Myself, I like the metal ones. 

Apparently, even if your friends drive your truck, they probably won’t even notice ?

LOL, I should clarify that on trucks I've salvaged and owned.  I think I was more worried about other things in your truck than the escutcheons!

I wonder if there were regional differences?  I've poked thru dozens of trucks around MN and surrounding states and never actually found any plastic ones whilst picking.