Rear bumper

It seems that most B series did not come with a rear bumper and most were add-ons. Is there a more correct type of rear bumper for these trucks? Specifially, should the bumper go all the way out to the full width of the truck including the rear fenders, or should they be shorter and only go the width of the box. I know it is mostly personal preference, but I'm not sure what would look nicer and be more functional. A full width bumper does interfere with the visibility of the license plate. Any thoughts on this.

Here's what the factory bumper looks like. The hitch is aftermarket.

Dennis Sullivan aka Dennis MN has a transplanted rear bumper on his beautiful red truck. Not sure what vehicle it came from but it looks good.

MVC-006S.jpg

Dennis Sullivan has a transplanted rear bumper on his beautiful red truck. Not sure what vehicle it came from but it looks good.

QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliment... the bumper is from a 87 or so Ford Ranger.

I removed the front bumper and replaced it with an original but the back bumper was pretty functional.

DSCN6772.jpg

Guest P15-D24

I have one of the stock bumpers and brackets and it is identical to what Reg posted. My complaint about the is they interfere with dropping the tailgate all the way down. Make loading a bit awkward unless you chain up the gate so it is parallel to the bed. Second issue is the license plate. If you have the correct bracket (stamped metal not cast post) you can mount the license plate in the normal position and have fully visible, and not interfere with the bumper.

I'm currently using a heavy duty step bumper which makes getting in and out of the bed really easy,

Dave,

It's the low sided box and doesn't have any pressed areas in it. Yes...I can get ~.0001% better gas mileage compared to a high sided box with those pesky ribs.:rolleyes: