Advice needed lowering the front suspension p15 coupe 1948

Cudan

I want to lower  ( 2  or 3 inch ) the front suspension of my p15 coupe 1948.

I need advice and drive experience off the possibilities with keeping the original suspension or with using aftermarket parts ( or donorparts ) special for the p 15 .

I am living in the Netherlands, perhaps there ar also european p15 fans who used parts from us or euro cars available overhere ?

Dan

Easiest way to lower the front end is to cut the springs you have on the car. I'd suggest cutting a little at a time to get the ride height you want as for the drive experience it'll bottom out easier on a pothole but hey you can't look cool and ride in comfort too.!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, 61farnham said:

Easiest way to lower the front end is to cut the springs you have on the car. I'd suggest cutting a little at a time to get the ride height you want as for the drive experience it'll bottom out easier on a pothole but hey you can't look cool and ride in comfort too.!!!!!!!

did you do it at your p15 ? 

Dan

6 minutes ago, Cudan said:

did you do it at your p15 ? 

Dan

No, mine came already cut but i replaced them with stock height springs and left the rear end on lowering blocks as that's the look i wanted. 

If you do a forum search on "Front springs" you'll find plenty of info.

Simon.

This subject was discussed here just a few months ago. There are several approaches, some better than other, but cutting the existing spring is probably at the bottom of the “preferable list”, as the remaining portion of the spring will make the car ride harsher. Further, you really can’t cut off much more than 1½ coil without having the car bottoming out a lot, which can wreck havoc on the front end’s components. Do due diligence in your research, and remember—measure twice (or maybe 3 or 4 times), and then cut once. You can always cut a little more off, but it’s very difficult to put it back on . . .  Just a tho’t to ponder.

P.S. – If I’m not mistaken, in think someone mentioned Ford Aerostar springs as one method. But, memory being what it is, I’m not going to put much money on that bet, as a lot has happened in the intervening time . . .

I've done it both ways; I cut a coil off the front springs on my 51 Plymouth and had dropped spindles on my 49 Plymouth. Both worked fine and I can't say either method was noticeabley superior as far as the way the car handled. 

Edited by falconvan
  • Like 1

Cudan, I cut 1 coil from the front springs and installed 2" lowering blocks between the rear springs and axle pads......this dropped the car approx. 2" front and 2' rear, this pic shows the car with the Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies 15x6 & 15x7 with 195/65x15 and 235/65 X15 Coker Classic Whitewall Radials........nothing hit either inside nor outside of the wheels & tyres and I would think that your car would have similar results........the cutting of the front coil did make the ride a little harsher but the long term plan was to have new coils the length of the cut ones made however I sold the car B4 this was done, nevertheless I was more than happy with the result in looks and satisfied with the compromise that the cut coils gave.........however I am a hotrodder, lol.........andyd   

IMG_1364.JPG

I think it was mentioned in similar strings on springs, but EATON Detroit Spring will make you  front coil springs that drops the front two inches (I called them - that's as low as they will go) .  The price is around $200 for the pair.  I intend to go that route with my '41, with lowering blocks on the rear - the rest of the drop will be because of the big 'n little wheel/tire combo I have on the car now: 15 and 14 inchers (cuz I had them and a can of IH red paint laying around).

17 hours ago, falconvan said:

I've done it both ways; I cut a coil off the front springs on my 51 Plymouth and had dropped spindles on my 49 Plymouth. Both worked fine and I can't say either method was noticeabley superior as far as the way the car handled. 

Where did you order the dropped spindles and did you a an update to discbrakes ? so i can figure out if i can use the original front suspension parts ?

When using the original set up I need also to replace the kingpins and shaft, pins and bushings of the lower an upper control arms.

I ordered the dropped spindles from Fatman's Fabrications. On both cars I used Ford Explorer disc brakes and stock suspension component's although I did do a Cavalier rack and pinion swap on my 49. and did a shock relocation on both cars. I've actually done 3, my current 48 P15 has stock suspension with drop spindles, relocated shocks, Cavalier R&P and Explorer brakes, my 49 Business coupe was the same setup, and my 51 had a stock steering box, cut front springs, relocated shocks, and Explorer brakes. On all three cars I used an 8.8 explorer rear so I had 4 wheel disc brakes.

• Like 1

Thanks Mack..........regret having to sell it, it was an older restoration when I got it, I lowered it, got the Fulton visor, wheels & tyres, and generally tidied it up, was building a 230 & T5 to go in it with an Edgy head, Offy intake split exhaust......still got the 40 Dodge I've had for 45 yrs tho'.........regards, andyd 

IMG_1355.JPG

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

• Like 2

falconvan,

I recall a similar conversation wherein you went into quite abit of detail of a disc-brake conversion. In fact, I think you also had photos in that conversation. I’ve looked herein, but couldn’t find it. So, here’s my question: what year, and what make, of car was the disc-brake you described in that previous/similar conversation performed on???

7 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

falconvan,

I recall a similar conversation wherein you went into quite abit of detail of a disc-brake conversion. In fact, I think you also had photos in that conversation. I’ve looked herein, but couldn’t find it. So, here’s my question: what year, and what make, of car was the disc-brake you described in that previous/similar conversation performed on???

The first one I did was my 51 Plymouth sedan and I posted pictures. Did the same with my 48 p15. My 49 I didn't post any pictures but I used the same brake setup and parts on all three cars. 

7 minutes ago, ptwothree said:

For the front....Got a torch?  Good,  heat up the coils and lower away.  For the rear,  four or five sacks of concrete should get you there.........cheap n easy!!

no kidding :lol:

On 3/30/2017 at 0:12 PM, Cudan said:

no kidding :lol:

No kidding...That's the way we did it in my young and dumb days.  A '55 Crown Vic, nice car, it was a freeby, was the victim.  Looked kool at red lights, but was a bear to drive on anything but a smooth road.