48 Dodge D-24 kingpins

bighammer48

Here I am again! I beginning to think that the help I need is mental for starting this project.. Here it goes:

I am working on my front suspension starting with the kingpins. Then on to the coils, control arms, etc. I am following the shop manual and have gotten to the point where I need to remove the locking pins and top seals again, according to the manual. It was fairly easy getting to this point. Now, following the obscure directions in the book, I got the locking pin on the first one(driver's side ) to move approximately a 1/4 inch and it won't budge from there. Likewise, following the book again, I can't get the top tin seal out, no matter what I try. I'm afraid to use too much force for fear of damaging irreplaceable parts. HELP!!!

Additionally, I am soliciting any other guidance concerning replacing the coils, and rebuilding the control arms.

Edited by bighammer48

Have a real close look at the lockpin as you maybe trying to remove it from the wrong side...... they have a taper that wedges against the kingpin to lock the kingpin in the spindle and you maybe hitting it in tighter..........look to see whether you can see the "D" shape of the pin, you hit it from THAT side..........as for the top tin seal, its just a small freeze or welch plug, I use a small screw driver or small sharp cold chisel to cut a hole in the tin or have also seen a small hole drilled into the tin then a self tapping screw screwed into the hole and then lever the screw & seal out..........also I never bother trying to remove the bottom seal, once the kingpin lock pin is removed then by just tapping the kingpin out from the top will push the lower seal out..........btw a king pin kit should include 2 new lock pins, 4 new bushes, 2 king pins, 2 king pin bearings & ideally 4 shims - 2 thin, 2 thick..............as far as replacing the coils I use a floor jack under the lower A arm and undo the outer lower pin/bush assembly then gently lower the jack.......the upper & lower control arms have specific measurements listed in the workshop manual, the lower inner & upper inner bushes and shafts are usually cheapest buying as a unit  and are pretty common........ the seals they use are essentially just a piece of rubber hose, however the lower outer seals have at least 2 different hex sized bush heads so try & get the correct rubber seal with the right sized internal hex hole to suit the bush..........the Upper outer seals are a hose type of seal although I have seen and used large "O" rings successfully.............regards from downunder...Andy Douglas.        

It looks like I am driving the lock out from the wrong(front) side. I have the MOPAR kingpin package that contains all of the stuff you mention. I was consider buying the front  suspension kit from Gary Roberts. I am hoping that it contains all of the seals. I have new coils, but need to buy the silencers. Also I have a coil spring compressor and was wondering if I should use it. Thanks for your help.

With the kit just make sure that the seal with the internal hex head is the right size for the lower outer bush......or look after the ones that are currently there and try to reuse them............if the original molded rubber silencers are available then get them but a piece of cut up tyre inner tube is what I have used.........if the coil spring compressor fits then use it I suppose but using a floor jack carefully should be o/k.....main thing just take your time and make sure the car is properly supported on jackstands etc.............andyd

• Like 1

No worries mate.....I'll keep to kettle on for next time you're here in Oz.........lol.......pleased it worked............andyd