48 Dodge eBrake/Parking Brake

librado65

So my 48 Dodge has never had an parking brake since I bought it. I always had to use those a small stopper from harbor freight. I told my mechanic about it and hes suggesting only option is maybe swapping out the rear axle. I dont want to open up a new can of worms. Is there any other option of getting a working parkingbrake on the stock trans/rear axle? Or is there some kit to get the parts to install it? Ive googled and searched but haven't really got any answers.

I knew a guy back home who used a piece of tire tread to “re-line” the parking brake of a 59 Plymouth. It worked just fine, altho’ he once tried to use it as an emergency brake, and he said it did slow the car down, but the smoke it created was unbelievable. So, I guess the moral here it that a piece of tire tread will hold the car in place just fine, but don’t try to use it to slow it down.  The parking brake on our car has no appreciable lining left, and so I’m going to use a piece of tire from an old tire from my old C-5 Corvette.  Thx.

You say the car has never had a parking brake.........exactly why?..........if its all there then just get the brake lining redone, as mentioned the lining kits are available, however this depends on the parking brake assembly being there, if it is not then that's a different situation..........you'll need to get whats missing and away you go.......or stop............swapping the rear axle for one with a parking brake setup is doable in theory but lots more work, apart from the axle instal there are brake lines to run, wheel bolt pattern to check, driveshaft connection and the complete park brake cables to the new rear end.........heaps more work then just fiddling with the brake assembly hanging off the rear of the trans............btw......a properly adjusted parking or "handbrake" as we in Ostralia call them will easily pull the car up from 30-40mph.........I know mine does.........lol............so my suggestion is rebuild/refurbish the handbrake and use/get the PROPER lining...........a piece of rubber tyre is no real substitute unless nothing else is available which is not the case...... btw check the pics in your workshop manual against whats under your car to see which way to go.........regards........Andy Douglas    

Edited by Andydodge

24 minutes ago, librado65 said:

Im going to show this post to mechanic. Hes starting work on it tomorrow

While this pic is from a 1950 Mopar parts book, these e-brake parts are similar for years, style of handles, size of drum, small details vary but ought to give your guy an idea of what should be there.

Hope this helps some!

DJ

CCF03122017_00000.jpg

Andy,

The handbrake (I’ve heard it called that here in the U.S., too . . .) on our car appears to be all there, with the obvious exception of the lining. As it wasn’t a priority for me (rewiring it was higher on the list, as is cleaning out the fuel tank since I’ve just rebuilt the carburetor), and I was told that the lining for it would be difficult, if not out-right impossible, to obtain. That’s why I was leaning towards using a piece of tire. But, now that I know the lining material IS available, that’s obviously the way I’ll go. Thank You for the information, I certainly do appreciate it. Thx.

Doc, its all good.........my experience with these driveshaft handbrakes goes back a few yrs....lol...........in Sept 1971 while still at school I bought the Ol brown turd originally as a parts car for an Oz 1940 Dodge Coupe that I'd bought 2 yrs earlier and pulled apart as all 15yr old budding hotrodders do........the 4dr sedan was complete, registered with 6 weeks rego still on it but with some burnt out ignition wiring so after a local mechanic fixed that I had me a going car........my poor long suffering Dad was the chosen victim to accompany me on my driving lessons in my 1940 Dodge and I remember a couple of times at least that we found how well the handbrake worked, one especially fun time was about 5 minutes after setting off along the local main road, when "whats that smell? Dad".............next thing the car just slows right down to a complete stop with smoke billowing everywhere and me, all a flustered............lol........oops......who left the handbrake on?........lol.............and that was the original external contracting 1940 version...........since 1973 the car has had the 318 Poly/cast iron torqueflite combo that has the internal expanding style handbrake and it works quite well as each year the car passes its annual rego check by the local mechanic which includes a brake test with flying colours.........so, mopar driveshaft handbrakes definitely work........lol.............regards, andyd   

That reminds me, I need to order cable for my ebrake. Maybe new ebrake shoes etc. I see Bernbaum has them. Anyone have an experience with these items from them? How bout fit and function? Or is this another item I should look to NOS for?
Thanks

Andy,

Speaking of the handbrake, the previous comment reminded me that the cable on our car has a great deal of slack in it, even when the handle under the dashboard is pulled all the way. As I mentioned earlier, this hasn’t been top priority, but it is working it’s way up the list. I don’t recall there being any adjustment that would take up all of the slack present. Do the cables come in different length? If not, I’m not messing too much with it, since it has specific ends on each end. You’ve obviously got more experience with this than I, so – your thot's??? Thx.

Doc, first off I'd I'd be trying it with new lining as the cable adjustment has probably been done to the maximium to allow for a worn out lining, with a new lining the cable should be able to be adjusted back to take up the slack............at least that's what I've seen, however maybe if the cable has actually stretched then you may need a new cable but I'd be replacing the lining as a first step......I've also seen pics of a V or Y shaped screw thing that is used to take up slack in wire cables, have no idea what they are called but they have a threaded screw that fits against the cable and is used to adjust against the cable to take up the slack..........lol..........dunno if that makes sense?..........I'd be replacing the lining first............andyd      

Andy,

Your plan of attack is exactly what I plan on doing. As for those devices that take up slack in cables – I vaguely remember seeing something along those lines. But, I think I approach those as a last resort. Thank You very much for your valuable input, and advice. I greatly appreciate it. Warmest regards . . .  Thx.