New to the forum.

Dmac2590

Hey everyone I'm new to the chrysler scene just bought my first mopar product.  It's a 1947 Windsor all original complete car, semi project needs front floor pans and the engine needs looked over.  I've never messed with these older cars before in fact the oldest car I have touched was my 72 monte carlo.  A little info on the car would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.

• Like 1

Thanks Casper.  I'm not sure where I can buy parts for this type of car not many options popped up on Google.  Like engine parts the car is way to clean and nice to chop up as a rod so I'd like to go to original or as close as I can. 

4 hours ago, Dmac2590 said:

Hey everyone I'm new to the chrysler scene just bought my first mopar product.  It's a 1947 Windsor all original complete car, semi project needs front floor pans and the engine needs looked over.  I've never messed with these older cars before in fact the oldest car I have touched was my 72 monte carlo.  A little info on the car would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.

Before you buy parts,you need to know what parts to buy.

My recommendation to you is the same as I have given everyone else. The first two things you want to buy is a factory service manual that covers your car,and the second thing you need to buy is a Motors Auto Repair Manual that covers the year car you have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1947-MOTORS-AUTO-REPAIR-MANUAL-10TH-EDITION-2014q-/351986389617?hash=item51f4061271:g:7O4AAOSw4A5Yqilo

More options on service manuals http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1947+chrysler+manual&clk_rvr_id=1180668468972&gclid=CKKHn-zmzNICFZKIswodEdYH_g&geo_id=10232&MT_ID=69&crlp=166943548443_1627&rlsatarget=kwd-176072854118&keyword=1947+chrysler+manual&treatment_id=7&poi=&adpos=1o2&device=c&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true

You also need to buy a factory service manual

http://www.autopaper.com/1941-1942-1946-1947-1948-chrysler-shop-service-repair-manual.php

Then start looking around for a factory parts manual. Harder to find and a lot more expensive,but you get to see a picture of the part as well as the original Chrysler factory parts number. Here is one you can buy now if you don't want to wait to find a bargain. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Dodge-Desoto-Chrysler-1936-1937-1938-1939-1940-1946-1947-Parts-Manual-/182396356563?hash=item2a77ab87d3:g:kiwAAOSw241YYMNR&vxp=mtr

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rb1949 said:

Don't know what the differences are in parts books, but here's another.

https://www.moparmall.com/Illustrated-Factory-Parts-Manual-for-1946-1948-Chr-p/840-100.htm

Looks to me like one is an original,and one a copy.

purchase the copy the information is the same so why need the original if a copy will get used and grease on it. It is just a reference manula to assit you in getting the car put back together.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

Andy Bernbaum at oldmoparts.com is a great resource for lots of items, and has fast turnaround on orders.

I'm a bit of a newbie here as well, same as you, spent plenty of time over the years working on cars from the '60s and '70s but these are a bit new to me.  Lots of good info here on the forums.

The original service manual is definitely worth purchasing, you can get a reprint on Amazon for around $20.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I ordered the parts manual. And a restoration manual for the car.  It's in good shape just need to get the engine in order and clean the interior.  All the lights work, turn signals and all.   I practicality stole the car for what I paid for it. 

Edited by Dmac2590

Welcome, 

Vintage power Wagons also is a good source on engine parts.

If you need any engine stuff, I have some extra items to offer you if needed.  Everyone here will be glad to help you along with your journey.

• Like 1

I had a 46/7/8 Chrysler Windsor 4 dr about 40 yrs ago, these were very rare here in Oz, something like 20 were imported for federal government use and my was the only one I had ever seen, had it for a couple of yrs then sold it, it needed a restoration but it was complete & going, was black with the Highlander tartan upholstery..........wish I had it now........good luck with your car..........welcome to the best mopar forum around......regards from downunder, Andy douglas

Welcome. I recently acquired a 48 Windsor 4 dr. Its my first old Mopar but not my 1st old car.  Going through what you are just getting into. This is a great site with lots of expertise available. Sounds like yours is in better shape than mine. Figuring out these old rigs can be frustrating at times, but they are simple enough you can usually work through it. 

Oh, we like pics.

Tom B

On 3/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, Dmac2590 said:

Thanks Casper.  I'm not sure where I can buy parts for this type of car not many options popped up on Google.  Like engine parts the car is way to clean and nice to chop up as a rod so I'd like to go to original or as close as I can. 

Check the Link Directory in the light tan menu bar at the top of the page. I would also view the downloads and various tech and reference sections

• Like 1

Welcome.    Don't overlook the NAPA  web site for old Mopar parts, they carry some parts for them. I just last fall got a fuel pump for my 41 Chrysler C-28 from NAPA.

Here she is 47 Windsor.  Needs cleaned up a bit haha.  I'm in need of mostly sheet metal. This is the list I have now.  Both rockers

Front and rear floors 

Trunk floor.  

My question is if found the front floors and rockers that was easy. But, where can I find the truck pan and rear section on the interior floors?  I found a trunk but it's for a 49-52 will this work? It looks the same.