Studs

SSD

the studs will require a special sealant tape to be wrapped on insertion....when installing the nuts you hold the stud with an Allen wench then tighten...then on torque you could still have some turning of the stud and possible some nut turning...the possibility of exposed threads of different length could result..be prepared for that scenario

also one could still see a bit of coolant bubble pass by a few studs till some mileage is on the engine and it basically self seals, this will not be major nor of great concern but could cause some alarm to the installer if not forewarned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SSD said:

I've seen in here were people have gone with studs instead of head bolts anybody have info on arp or other studs and nuts ?

From the secret file that the missus will never see (or, at least, I hope not):

ARP, Ventura, CA    10/12/16    

AP3.750-ILB     Head stud- 7/16/x 3.75 Long broached (21 @ $5.38)     $112.98 
APN58              7/16 x 20 Hex nut (head) (21 @ $ .80)                             $16.80 
APW1316N       7/16 ID 13/160D non-chamfered washer (21 @ $ .98     $20.58 
                                                                                               Shipping     $18.20 

Awesome thanks that's just for the head correct? George Asche built me a engine and I have a v57 that may find its way on that engine, I think a bit more "clamp" couldn't be a bad thing, any suggestions on tourque or stay with the 60ftlbs I believe it is wont be pushing crazy pressure 8 MAX 

Edited by SSD

The clamping force is greater with the fine threads on a stud as opposed to the course threads on a bolt. Hence the lower foot pound torquing requirement. If you exceed the recommended torque  with studs you run the risk of squeezing the head gasket beyond its sealing capabilities with possible premature head gasket failure. I suggest you stick with the recommended torque for studs.

studs.jpg

• Like 2