Trucks w/ Dump Beds - where is the bed information?

Guest wrightkoss

Guest wrightkoss

You guys that have trucks w/ dump beds on them... do you know where to find the information on the bed that shows the brand? I think we still have the original bed on our truck, but I can't seem to find any information or numbers on it. Do you know where to look?

I have a 48 conventional 1 1/2 ton with what I believe is a factory dump grain/flat bed. It's about 12' long and I have seen the same bed in books. The outer frame was made out of or covered with a sheet metal thin metal that has a raised rib a top and bottom of rail and a slight cut out over rear wheels. It has no markings on it anywhere that I have found yet. My 48 COE has a 13' dump/grain bed on it thats is vintage and heavier built made by Giant Manufacturing Company with name plates on both back corners. Most third party beds I'm pretty sure had a name plate orig. in plain view for marketing purposes.

You guys that have trucks w/ dump beds on them... do you know where to find the information on the bed that shows the brand?

This is a bit of an issue, because, the trucks were likely sold as a cab /chassis and the buyer had a secondary mfg put a bed on. My '50 has a knapaheid (sp?) 13' dump grain box. Obviously, knapaheid could have been on any Dodge, GM or Ford truck of the day.

My Knapaheid 'badge' is pretty beat up, but it's located in the center of the rear of the bed (between the taillights, but on the bed).

To make matters worse, the lift system may have been from a completely different mfg (not knapaheid in my case - don't recall mfg off the top of my head).

Keith

Guest wrightkoss

I see... well, I have looked at mine more closely since I posted this and there are two large holes, maybe "1/2" bolt size, on the back of the bed where it looks like something should be. I have no idea what though... also my bed is a steel frame with a wood deck and steel covering... side racks are steel frame with wood siding so I have no idea. I looked at the photos on dodgepilothouseclub.org and everything looks to be steel... Leaving me confused.