A 1950 Dodge truck at Decatur

Bobacuda

This and a 55 Dodge big-window (pretty sure it was a 55) were the only true Dodge pickups I saw at the meet.  This 50 had a solid body, factory rear bumper, all 4 hubcaps, no bed-wood and judging from the lichens and moss growing on it, it was a pasture find.  No interior, no major rust, fluid drive, needs a full rebuild.  The grill only had a few minor dings.  The 55 was so rough I did not take a photo.  This one you can read the phone number on.  Asking $2,000.

IMG_0581[1].JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent patina too...

• 11 months later...

I am in the process of doing a bed rebuild. This 50 looks like a twin to mine. From what I gather, the bedsides are attatched solely to the wood of the bed. And yet, I constantly see and hear about a lot of these old trucks with all of the wood missing from the bed. My question is, how is the bed still in place if all the wood is gone? Anybody?

I am not familiar with how the Dodge pick-ups were built, but I've had both Ford and Chevy trucks with wooden bed slats, both brands were made the same, I have to assume Dodge did so, too.  The bed sides are not attached only to the wood, actually not attached to the wood at all, or rather the wood is not attached to the sides (same difference?).  There are metal cross pieces from one side to the other that are attached to the sides.  Just how many depends on model, bed size, manufacturer, etc.  The wood is not actually attached to those, but laid over them.  There are metal runners from front to back that bolt down to those cross pieces, and the front and back, that basically serve to clamp the wood down to the bed frame.  The wood is not physically attached other than those bed strips clamping it down.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that's different than Dodge wood beds tho. But, I could be 100 % wrong. That's why I'm asking, these beds are not only difficult to gather parts for, but expensive as well. I don't want to spend $ on things I don't need.  How about the dodge guys? 

9 hours ago, Emmy41 said:

I am in the process of doing a bed rebuild. This 50 looks like a twin to mine. From what I gather, the bedsides are attatched solely to the wood of the bed. And yet, I constantly see and hear about a lot of these old trucks with all of the wood missing from the bed. My question is, how is the bed still in place if all the wood is gone? Anybody?

Here was my original question bobcuda, I'm not looking for parts, just an explanation to the above.